Thread: Hebrew/LXX/English Vocabulary "Guide"?

Hybrid View

Default Hebrew/LXX/English Vocabulary "Guide"?

Hi, folks--

I've spent a good deal of time learning Hebrew, and am now on to my second semester of Greek. Whenever I see a Greek word with the same English definitions/glosses that I saw for a given Hebrew word, I wonder... does this Greek word correspond to that given Hebrew word? And if so, wouldn't it be great if I could better learn both Greek and Hebrew at once by having some way of taking a Greek word and aligning it with its Hebrew equivalent (as in the LXX) and the English?

I know about Tov's database in BibleWorks and love it. What I'd love even more, however, is a sort of consolidated "Vocabulary Guide" to the LXX that has all the words occurring in the LXX more than 50 times, for example, with both their Hebrew equivalents and English meanings.

(I'm aware that a given Hebrew word doesn't always get translated into Greek in the LXX the same way every time... maybe this would complicate the matter too much?)

Does anyone know of such a resource? Rodney Decker's Koine Greek Reader has a neat little LXX Vocab guide in the back, with just English glosses. If something like what I'm asking about doesn't exist, how difficult would it be for someone to create it from what is already in the Tov database and BibleWorks?

Many thanks!

Abram K-J

Since no one else has chimed in, I'll give it a try.
    You pointed out a difficulty in what you suggest. The different LXX translators were by no means consistent in the way they translated the Hebrew into Greek. Sometimes they actually seem to have been reading a different text from the Masoretic text we use today. What you suggest could be done. But it would either be somewhat subjective, or it would have to included either multiple Hebrew words for each Greek word or multiple Greek words for each Hebrew word, depending on which way you wanted it to go. I have been working on a Hebrew synonyms database for a number of years, including different LXX translations, and what I originally thought would be a fairly simple layout is getting to look a lot more complicated. And the way I'm working on it, it will take a decade. I'm sure that someone else could come up with a computer-created (i.e. relatively unedited by human eyes) version of what you request somehow using the Word List Manager and Tov. But I'm not the guy to try that.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Mark Eddy

Thanks for your reply, Mark, and if you ever decide to make portions of your synonyms database available for others' viewing, I'd love to see it.

Smile Here too!

Quote Originally Posted by AbramKJ View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Mark, and if you ever decide to make portions of your synonyms database available for others' viewing, I'd love to see it.
    Hi Mark,

I also would be interested in viewing your synonyms database!

Gilbert

The file I am making for Hebrew synonyms includes English glosses and various LXX translations. It is a .bww file, which you read in the BibleWorks editor. Apparently I cannot attach .bww files to this forum. What I have is a work in progress, definitely less than half done. My guess is that 50% of what I have would be helpful to others, 40% would be very sketchy, and 10% will probably be misleading. I make additions to it many times a week, sometimes changing my mind about the correct English gloss. I have not taken the time to add in some of the most common Hebrew words, since I do not need to refer to those myself. In other cases I have done complete word studies and included all the instances of a word. I have included what I consider to be the more interesting words which come up in the 3-year lectionary which my church uses (similar to RCL) and in most of the Psalter. So, the quality of the file at this point is of widely varying accuracy and it is not very comprehensive. Therefore I hesitate to make it available to others. But if anyone really wants to take a look at what I am trying to do, send me an e-mail, and I can attach the file "as is" and "user beware" as of the day I send it. markeddy@qconline.com.
    Mark Eddy

Just recently realized that T. Muraoka put out A Greek-Hebrew/Aramaic Two-Way Index to the Septuagint in mid-2010. (ISBN #978-9042923560) It's more like a lexicon and less like the kind of vocabulary guide I had in mind--i.e., the words are arranged alphabetically and not by frequency. (However, within each given lexical entry there are some frequency statistics.)

It's pricey, but even the few short weeks I had with it, after checking it out from a library, were so helpful. A truly great resource. I don't expect it'd ever be digitized for BibleWorks, but at least it's out there.