Thread: Will the 1984 NIV continue to be availalbe?

Default Will the 1984 NIV continue to be availalbe?

Does anyone know if the old NIV (1984) will continue to be available in BibleWorks after the new NIV is released? And what are BW's plans regarding the new NIV? Will it be given to people who already have the NIV, or will it be a separate purchase?

In Christ,

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by brethicks View Post
    Does anyone know if the old NIV (1984) will continue to be available in BibleWorks after the new NIV is released? And what are BW's plans regarding the new NIV? Will it be given to people who already have the NIV, or will it be a separate purchase?

In Christ,

Bret
    Considering the wide variety of English translations available in BibleWorks, it is fairly certain that the older NIV editions will continue to be available.

Whether or not the "new" NIV will be provided free or as a separate purchase, we will probably have to wait to see how negotiations between BW and the publishers of the NIV work out.

But the one question that remains is: "can I be bothered switching to the 'new' NIV"? That is yet to be decided as they haven't reached the shops here in Australia yet - at least, not as I have noticed.

Default New NIV

It all depends on how negotiations go with Zondervan. That is still in process. In the past many publishers have required us to remove old versions. We have requested that we be able to retain both versions. But it is entirely up to the publisher. If you have the NIV now you will be able to keep it when the switch occurs. Whether or not new purchasers of BibleWorks can have both is up to the publisher and we have no word on that at present.

We at BibleWorks wish you all a happy and (spiritually) prosperous New Year.

Mike

In Christ,

Bret
    To Bret: Hours of searching online & found it! Thank you Lord! 1984 NIV pdf here... http://guidedb.org/pdf/new-internati...ion-bible.html
    Free, top selection on page with blue bar on left. No signup, or credit card required for "free" trial. Opening preview page is slow, but once you click download it is quick, and searchable. Blessings on you, and please share where you can. Many people are looking for this, and I found it on page 33 or something of search results, where I thought it may be too deep to be pulled right away. I felt I had to share this so just picked the first person I saw online who was asking. Joy of the Lord on you. M

Actually, the 1984 NIV does remain available in BW along with the updated version.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Correct. There are at least 3 editions of the NIV in BibleWorks 9: NIV (the 2011 revision); TNIV (Today's NIV from 2001); and NIVO (the 1984 edition). But, reading the exchange from several years ago, I wonder if that is true only for those who already had it in previous versions of BW, or for new purchasers as well?
    Last edited by DavidR; 03-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Correct. There are at least 3 editions of the NIV in BibleWorks 9: NIV (the 2011 revision); TNIV (Today's NIV from 2001); and NIVO (the 1984 edition). But, reading the exchange from several years ago, I wonder if that is true only for those who already had it in previous versions of BW, or for new purchasers as well?
    Good point. I'm pretty sure that would only apply to those who already had BW before BW obtained the new NIV release.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.