Thread: Bugs in the HALOT Module

Hybrid View

Default Bugs in the HALOT Module

I'd like to report two bugs in the HALOT add-on module. I figured I'd post here before annoying the BW staff with a formal support request. If nothing happens, I may just do that.

First, when I click the folder icon and open up HALOT, there are many whole lines of text that are colored blue (I assume only the links are supposed to be blue). This is no big deal except that in each case, the blue text won't wrap properly, causing it to continue off the screen. In some cases, there's no way to make the window wide enough to see all of the text, and there is no horizontal scroll bar. This means I'm missing some critical information from almost every entry in HALOT. It is there, I just can't get to it without copying and pasting the text or looking it up in the Analysis window.

Second, I have been looking up many different words in HALOT all day today and BW has crashed on me nearly two dozen times. It always happens when the HALOT module is open, and when I search for a new word or begin to scroll through an entry. But, it doesn't happen every time I do those things. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to it beyond that.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems?

Rusty Taylor
    Last edited by rdtaylorjr; 06-30-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtaylorjr View Post
    I'd like to report two bugs in the HALOT add-on module. I figured I'd post here before annoying the BW staff with a formal support request. If nothing happens, I may just do that.

First, when I click the folder icon and open up HALOT, there are many whole lines of text that are colored blue (I assume only the links are supposed to be blue). This is no big deal except that in each case, the blue text won't wrap properly, causing it to continue off the screen. In some cases, there's no way to make the window wide enough to see all of the text, and there is no horizontal scroll bar. This means I'm missing some critical information from almost every entry in HALOT. It is there, I just can't get to it without copying and pasting the text or looking it up in the Analysis window.
    It's probably easiest to report these as errors. It looks like when tagging was done it didn't properly recognize certain characters. Report them to dberrors@bibleworks.com. There's no guarantee they get fixed immediately, but they do keep track of them and get to them when they can.

Second, I have been looking up many different words in HALOT all day today and BW has crashed on me nearly two dozen times. It always happens when the HALOT module is open, and when I search for a new word or begin to scroll through an entry. But, it doesn't happen every time I do those things. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to it beyond that.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems?
    I don't search through HALOT a lot. I use it more with links from the Analysis window and haven't experienced any of these crashes. I tried doing a dozen or so searches from the Lexicon browser but still no crash. Maybe someone else will have something to report. The bottom line is, you can report it, but I'm guessing it would be really difficult to fix until we can come up with a definite pattern or way to replicate the crash repeatedly. Then it's much easier to fix because they'll know what to look for.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I do have the blue text, and I also have the problem with text going off the screen. I do not believe the two are related, as black text seems just as likely to go off the screen in HALOT.

When doing HALOT searches, either in Hebrew or English, BW has not crashed on me, but I'm sure I'm not giving it the workout you must be.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

I too think I've noticed the word wrapping problem in the HALOT module recently. Even when reading it on the Analysis Tab. I thought it was just behaving quirky at the time. But seeing that others are having this same problem too, it appears to be a bug.

I actually reported this problem to the programmers a week or so ago. I do not remember seeing this problem before a few weeks ago, so my guess is that when they fixed a problem with copying hyperlinks (which I reported this fall) this problem may have surfaced. What is happening is that way too much text is being included in some hyperlinks. As I looked for a pattern, it appears to me that all the extra-long hyperlilnks follow a character which is a right-pointing arrow. So my guess is that this is not so much a database problem as a program bug. And unless the programmers are taking a much needed Christmas break, they'll probably get a fix fairly soon. But if any of you sees an except my finding that the problem always follows an arrow, please do correct me. I don't want to mislead anyone about the cause of the bug.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I actually reported this problem to the programmers a week or so ago. I do not remember seeing this problem before a few weeks ago, so my guess is that when they fixed a problem with copying hyperlinks (which I reported this fall) this problem may have surfaced.
    Mark Eddy
    Ditto, Mark, I think this is a fairly recent problem and, I believe, probably the effect of one of the recent program updates. I have not identified any tell-tale, distinguishing marks, so I can't vouch whether the right-pointing arrow is the culprit. It may be, but I haven't looked into the problem in the depth that you have.