Thread: any plan for syntactic search ?

Default any plan for syntactic search ?

does anyone know if BW has any plan to support syntactic search(with syntactic database, of course --- eg. opentext for Greek; or Anderson-Forbes and WIVU Emdros for Hebrew)?

Thanks,
    -Andley.

I haven't heard anything definitive, but BW guys are really good at keeping secrets. It seems like there are two possibilities, that they license an already existing database or create their own. Initially I know they were taking a wait-and-see type of approach, and I don't know if that has changed any, but I do notice that the syntactical databases are not all created equally. While we might think, well it'd be nice for a simple search to say "find all genitive absolutes" and it would return them, the language of syntax doesn't really use the term genitive absolute, so first you have to learn that other meta-language. In other words, syntax databases are a lot more difficult (and subjective) than morphological databases.

In general, I think it would be something that would be a good addition, but I'm not sure whether pre-existing databases are the answer or not. We might think they would be, but BW could decide that they aren't either because they aren't satisfied with the quality or utility, or because they are not able to secure a license for them. I do know, however, that they do take into consideration user feedback, so (whether or not they already have plans for this) if you think it's something BW really needs, let them know and if they're hearing enough user support for them, I'm sure they'll act accordingly.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thanks Michael
    I will send a "feature request" message to BW team.

God bless,
    -Andley.

Quote Originally Posted by andley View Post
    I will send a "feature request" message to BW team.
    I've been asking them for years for a "You Know What I Mean" button, but they have yet to even acknowledge my request, so good luck!

I purchased Logos 3 for this very thing. I have dabbled with it a bit, and watched their online tutorials, but, as Michael said, you are learning a whole new meta-language (and one that is not uniform between the three different syntax databases available in Logos).

In time there may be standardization in syntactic analysis, but at least two things fight against it:

1. Syntax is not static like morphology or basic grammar; the same thing can be said numerous ways, but must all be treated as equal in analysis.
    2. Syntactic analysis is as much art as science, at least for now; the subjective element suffuses the various attempts (hence the various meta-languages)

I see .... perhaps that's why there were not much recent update in those syntactic database projects ....

Thanks,
    -Andley.