Thread: BW8 and Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook

Default BW8 and Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook

I'm trying to get BW8 installed under Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix, without success. I tried the walkthrough at http://nerdlets.org/2008/08/18/run-b.../#comment-4966 but those steps no longer work since winetricks doesn't include fakeie6 anymore, apparently because it is no longer needed. If I skip the fakeie6 step the install screen simply disappears and goes into a wait (for input) state. I tried using an old version of winetricks which does include fakeie6 but it fails to install under 10.10. I also tried restoring the iexplore.exe file which the walkthrough gets you to move - this gets me a couple more steps through the installation process but in the end I have the same problem as before.

This is my first time using linux so I'm not sure how to move forward. Is there anyone out there who might be able to help me?

Default Progress

OK, to answer my own question (in case it helps someone else in the future)....

I was able to complete the installation by running winecfg and selecting the option on the Graphics tab to let wine run in a virtual window. I can now run BW8 successfully and perform basic tasks. However, whenever it wants to access the internet (eg for updates) it crashes, telling me to install Internet Explorer. So still work to do, would still appreciate help from anyone who knows more linux than I do....

Still answering my own question....

It looks like my version of iexplore.exe was somehow corrupt, because I have copied across a backup and everything seems to be ok now.