Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quotation from the Mishnah

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Lee, honestly I've ignored your answer because I don't know what it means. If someone tells me see Gen. 4:6 I know what that means, but I don't have a clue what Zohar is or where to find this.
    I found the reference in Gill's commentary. From his comments on Matthew 8:12, he quotes, "The Jews say, he that studies not in the law in this world, but is defiled with the pollutions of the world, he is taken וישליכו אותו הברה, 'and cast without': this is hell itself, to which such are condemned, who do not study the law.'" The reference he gives is the same I gave.

The condemnation here referenced does not seem to be limited to Gentiles, but I thought that may have been where Barclay got his idea.

Here is a link to the Zohar. http://www.sup.org/zohar/
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I found the reference in Gill's commentary. From his comments on Matthew 8:12, he quotes, "The Jews say, he that studies not in the law in this world, but is defiled with the pollutions of the world, he is taken וישליכו אותו הברה, 'and cast without': this is hell itself, to which such are condemned, who do not study the law.'" The reference he gives is the same I gave.

The condemnation here referenced does not seem to be limited to Gentiles, but I thought that may have been where Barclay got his idea.

Here is a link to the Zohar. http://www.sup.org/zohar/
    Lee, the quote is certainly not limited to Gentiles; Gentiles are not even, in fact, mentioned in the statement. And that some will be cast into outer darkness is something that Jesus himself stated numerous times in the Gospels. So the assertion that some will be cast into the pit should not, of itself, be offensive to us. But for Barclay - or Balfour before him - to extrapolate from that and claim that Jews believe that Gentiles will fuel the fires of hell is an egregious and gross misquote. It does a great disservice. And comments like Barclay's and/or Balfour's only provide the fuel for the fires of antisemitism. It is sad, to say the least.

Default Zohar

... I don't have a clue what Zohar is or where to find this.
    The Zohar is a collection of medieval rabbinic writings that are the core documents of Jewish mysticism. Kabbalah stuff has been big lately because a number of celebrities (eg, Madonna) have dabbled in it. HERE is a fairly concise and accurate description.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    The Zohar is a collection of medieval rabbinic writings that are the core documents of Jewish mysticism. Kabbalah stuff has been big lately because a number of celebrities (eg, Madonna) have dabbled in it. HERE is a fairly concise and accurate description.
    It probably means nothing good when this was the first thing I thought of when I read Lee's original message. (To my credit, I have never seen the movie.)
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Ah, yes. Hummus as a lifestyle choice (ditto, Michael, though I did read the NY Times review).

It probably means nothing good when this was the first thing I thought of when I read Lee's original message. (To my credit, I have never seen the movie.)
    That is funny, Michael. By the way, how do you embed hyperlinks into your text like you did? For example, how did you make the word "this" become a hyperlink to the 'Zohan' website, pray tell?

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    That is funny, Michael. By the way, how do you embed hyperlinks into your text like you did? For example, how did you make the word "this" become a hyperlink to the 'Zohan' website, pray tell?
    I forget if there are multiple views of what the forums editor looks like, but in my version of the editor window, just above where I am typing there are two rows of icons. The second row begins with font buttons for bold, italics and underline. About 12 buttons to the right is the URL link button. You highlight some text that you want to be the hyperlink and then press that button. A popup comes and asks you to give the URL of whatever you want to link to and then hit ok.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thanks, Michael. Here is a link to the greatest bible software. I had to try out the feature myself.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Here is a link to the greatest bible software...
    I agree with you!

After, using another one of the big three or big four of the Bible Software products I have come to appreciate BibleWorks way of doing things and its integration of Exegetical resources even more than before than before.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Amen Brian.

Irving

(Zechariah 1:16 WTT) לָכֵ֞ן כֹּֽה־אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֗ה שַׁ֤בְתִּי לִירוּשָׁ֙לִַם֙ בְּֽרַחֲמִ֔ים בֵּיתִי֙ יִבָּ֣נֶה בָּ֔הּ נְאֻ֖ם יְהוָ֣ה צְבָא֑וֹת )וְקָוֶה] (וְקָ֥ו[ יִנָּטֶ֖ה עַל־יְרוּשָׁלִָֽם׃