Thread: MT to LXX and back

Question MT to LXX and back

I understand that the Hatch-Redpath concordance to the LXX lists the various ways a Hebrew term is translated into different Greek words, as well as the way a single Greek word may reflect several different Hebrew terms. Is there any way that BibleWorks can do something similar?

Thanks.

Default Not really - not yet

This cannot be done right now to my knowledge. However, if you send this request/idea to ideas@bibleworks.com (I think that is the correct address), they will look at it. They are always welcoming new ideas from users.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default The SwordProject's tool

I agree with Joe's suggestion. Make sure you suggest this feature to the folks at BibleWorks through the "proper channels." If the email that Joe gave does not work, try http://www.bibleworks.com/ideas.html.

In the meantime, the SwordProject (a relatively good free Bible software package) has two dictionaries available that correlate the Hebrew and Greek of the MT and LXX using Strong's numbers and transliterations. The work is based on the Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament by Abbot-Smith and Hatch and Redpath. Unfortunately the transliterations are very basic and do not "convert" well into a BibleWorks query...I tried. Here are links to those dictionaries.I have suggested the incorporation of this dictionary into BW in the past, but there may be a better way to handle this feature...

Ultimately, I would like to see a tool that would correlate all the possible Hebrew/Aramaic words that underly a word in the LXX, so that one could do a special search on any word in the NT that was used also in the LXX, and get all of the passages of the MT where those underlying Heb./Aram. words occured as well. For the sake of accuracy, correlations could also be defined between various inflections of Greek and Hebrew verbs...

Oh the possibilities.
    Last edited by jdarlack; 09-18-2004 at 12:22 PM.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default MT to LXX and back

Thanks Joe and Jim. I have sent the request through the proper channels.

I had stumbled upon the Sword Project already and agree with the assessment about using a very basic transliteration scheme. The best I could do was use it to get a Strong's number and then use that to query BW.