Thread: Is there a way to search everything in BibleWorks?

Hybrid View

Default Is there a way to search everything in BibleWorks?

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum, but several Hebrew exegesis courses in seminary (and now Greek) have made me an avid user and fan of BibleWorks. I still have BW7, but dream of upgrading some day when I graduate seminary and start "making the big bucks" as a pastor.

A question: is there a way to search everything in BibleWorks at once? In other words, is there a way to search (for example), five given Bible versions, all the lexicons, grammars, and other reference works I have installed on a word/concept like "prophet"?

I understand that the "Resource Summary" tab in the analysis window gets close to this, but it doesn't look like that includes Nave's Topical Bible, the BibleWorks timeline, etc. (Not only that, but the Resource Summary appears to be keyed to whole verses in the cases of the grammars and the Henry commentary, as opposed to individual words.)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Greetings!

There are a variety of types of texts in BibleWorks, and each requires a different type of searching. As far as searching all Bible texts, that is easy to do by using the Command Line Cross-Version searching features. By using the GSE you can search many different language versions at the same.

To search all the HTML Help modules (this is the format for the grammars and some other items), you can use the Master Module Index, located on the Resources menu. Conducting a search in the Master Module Index will search all HTML Help modules at one time.

The Resource Summary Window is another way to access a lot of information at one time. By using the Resource Summary Window you can find all references to a particular verse, or you can find all the occurrences of a specific lemma in your lexicons, or discussion of a particular parsing element in your grammars.

There are also search features in the Dictionary and Lexicon Browser that enable you to search your dictionaries and your lexicons.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Greetings!

To search all the HTML Help modules (this is the format for the grammars and some other items), you can use the Master Module Index, located on the Resources menu. Conducting a search in the Master Module Index will search all HTML Help modules at one time.
    Thanks for this one Glenn. I actually did not know that this was the way to do that!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Likewise new to me! Learning something every day!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

You can also add user-created modules to the search capabilities of the Master Module Index, so that a search in the Master Module Index will also search user-created modules. For instructions on how to add the user-created modules to the Master Module Index, see the BibleWorks 8 Help file, Chapter 52 Custom Modules.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

You can also add user-created modules to the search capabilities of the Master Module Index, so that a search in the Master Module Index will also search user-created modules. For instructions on how to add the user-created modules to the Master Module Index, see the BibleWorks 8 Help file, Chapter 52 Custom Modules.

Blessings,
    Thanks, Glenn--the search instructions re: the Master Module Index were useful to me, too.

Might it be a possibility for future versions/updates of BibleWorks that there be one integrated "power search" feature that integrates all the searches you mentioned into one step (searching Biblical texts, modules, lexicons, etc. all at once for the same word)? Speaking only for myself, I would find that useful, if so.

Default I tried this and it doesn't work for me.

Blessings,
    When I open BibleWorks Master Module Index, my user-created module does indeed show up at the bottom of the Contents List, but a simple search [search tab] does not show any finds in my user module. Is it possible I have missed something in the instructions in Chapter 52????

Thanks!