Thread: Netbook Keyboard Morphology Searches with @ Symbol

Default Netbook Keyboard Morphology Searches with @ Symbol

I have a little netbook (Bibleworks seems to work great on it, by the way). The small keyboard is causing me problems though. If I wish to do a morphological search, Bibleworks automatically switches to Greek for me, and then when I try to type @ the [ symbol shows up instead. If I'm typing in English, @ works just fine. Anyone know how I can go about changing this?

Update: I read through some help files, and they seemed to indicate that this is the correct way the Greek keyboard was meant to be set up. This leads me to believe that the problem isn't the Greek keyboard, but the way that Bibleworks is automatically switching between languages. It seems that it should be switching to English upon me typing @, but it's staying in Greek. Can anyone help me out here?

Update: I see what I did. And it's too embarrassing to admit, so I'm deleting this... if I can figure out how...
    Last edited by chrisdrymon; 10-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.

This is an entertaining post. Please don't delete it.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdrymon View Post
    I have a little netbook (Bibleworks seems to work great on it, by the way). The small keyboard is causing me problems though. If I wish to do a morphological search, Bibleworks automatically switches to Greek for me, and then when I try to type @ the [ symbol shows up instead. If I'm typing in English, @ works just fine. Anyone know how I can go about changing this?...
    I also own a netbook (Toshiba Dynabook UX/25KWH) Windows 7 home Japanese edition.
    I haven't notice any problems with my keyboard automatically switching, though.

Here's a temporary Solution to the problem:
    Use the Code Insert buttons to insert the @ sign and avoid the keyboard changing on you.

How to enable to code insert buttons:
    (1) Right click on the command line
    (2) A drop down window should appear
    (3) The 8th choice(the choices are not numbered) from the top should be Code insert buttons
    (4)Click on the before mentioned choice and now under the command line there should be code insert buttons.

The 7th insert button (if you count from the right side of the screen) should be the @ sign. Again, this buttons are not numbered. For, now on you can click on the button boxes and avoid keyboard changes.

Now, if you want to change the way keyboard operates in Bibleworks here is my advice:
    (1)Locate BibleWorks "main status bar" it is the bottom most bar of the screen.

(2)At the right most section should indicate what language your keyboard is currently set to. If you are using an English Keyboard you probably want it to be set to English not matter if you are typing Greek or Hebrew.

(3)Simply, click on that language title on the bar and it will open up the BibleWorks Keyboard layout option box.

(4)In that box you can check which keyboard you want to use for any-other language. For example I have the Japanese keyboard selected for typing English, Hebrew, and Greek. You can also have the keyboard change automatically or manually.

For more information please check out the BibleWorks help file on this issue.
    I have posted it below for ease of access:

Keyboard LayoutsBibleWorks loads keyboard maps from Windows when they are needed for use with Bible Versions in non-English languages. Options in this window permit you to configure BibleWorks to work with non-English languages. The steps required to do this are as follows:

For each language in the "Languages" List Box select a Keyboard Layout from the "Layouts" List Box. This determines which keyboard is activated automatically for Command Line input when a version using that language is chosen as a search version. In most cases you can just use the default listed. The automatic switch will occur only if the "Automatically" radio button is selected. Many non-English users like to set the Default English Keyboard to their native-language Keyboard. This, with the appropriate setting for the "Default Keyboard" as discussed below, insures that all input goes through the native keyboard. This will not work for all languages, but it does work well for some.

The keyboard set in the Default Keyboard Layout section will be used automatically in the Editor for non-Greek, non-Hebrew text and in Windows requiring text input. There is also a special "language" called "default" listed in the "Languages" list box that can be used to set this default keyboard layout. So the "Default Keyboard Layout" section is redundant. We thought however that the parameter was important enough to be broken out separately.

The BibleWorks Editor will use an English Keyboard Layout for Greek and Hebrew text. This is the preferred method, because many non-English Keyboards do not provide access to all the Greek and Hebrew characters in the BibleWorks fonts. However, if the language or layout that you normally use does map all the Greek and Hebrew character codes, you can uncheck the "Always use English KB for Greek and Hebrew Text" box. Then you can use, for example, a Danish keyboard to enter Greek and Hebrew.

The BibleWorks Keyboard Layout Manager functions in two modes, a manual mode and an automatic mode. The mode is set by the radio buttons in the "Change Layout" group box. We strongly recommend leaving the setting on "automatic" (the default setting).

Manual Mode

In manual mode the Keyboard Layout will change for the Keyboard only when you make a new selection in the Keyboard Layout List Box and click on OK.

One exception to this behavior is that when your search version is a Greek or Hebrew version, the program will always use the English Keyboard Layout. This guarantees that all the characters you need to use in these versions will be available on the Keyboard. Some of the Hebrew characters are on keys not available on some non-English keyboards and it seemed like this was the simplest approach to take.

Please note that if you want to change Keyboard Layouts you should select a language from the top List Box, NOT a keyboard layout from the bottom List Box. The bottom List Box associates a particular keyboard layout with each language. This makes it much easier to change keyboard layouts because you don't have to search through a long list of layouts every time you want to change the layout. You just pick a language instead. This note applies to Automatic Mode as well as Manual Mode.

We do not recommend that you use the manual mode unless you need to resolve problems.

The Automatic Mode

In automatic mode the Keyboard Layout used by the Command Line will change automatically whenever the search version changes. The selections in the Keyboard Layout Window determine which Layout is used for each language. To change a setting simply pick the language and then the Keyboard Layout that you want to use. Windows 2000/XP/Vista users should see a list of all keyboards supported by the system and probably will not need to install any. If you do not see the Keyboard that you want follow this procedure:

1.Click on the Start button.
    2.Select Settings | Control Panel.
    3.Double-click on the Keyboard icon
    4.In the window that opens, choose the Language tab.
    5.Click the Add button and select the keyboard layout you want.
    6.Repeat step 5 for all languages that you want to add.
    7.Windows will probably ask you to insert your Windows CD.

The currently loaded Layout will be displayed in the Status Window at the bottom of the BibleWorks screen. You may have to enlarge the window or remove some items from the Status Window in order to see it.

Setting a Default Non-Command-Line Keyboard Layout

As we said in the previous paragraph, the Automatic Mode causes the Keyboard Layout used by the Command Line to change to match the search version. For all other text entry in BibleWorks, the program will use the last Keyboard Layout specified by the Keyboard Layout Window. So when you exit the Keyboard Layout Window a new default Keyboard Layout is set and will be used for all non-Command-Line input. For example, suppose you are a German user and are currently searching a Spanish Bible Version. You would proceed as follows:

1.To specify German as your default Layout, open the Keyboard Layout Window, select "Automatically", choose the German Language (NOT the German Layout in the bottom list) and exit.
    2.Now set LBA (a Spanish Version) as your current search version.
    3.As you use the mouse to alternately activate the Command Line and another part of the User Interface (like the Browse Window) you will see the Layout indicator on the Main Status Bar change back and forth between "SPA" and "GER".
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 10-27-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Hi Brian,

The problem is not with how keyboards operate in BibleWorks. He was trying to do a morphology search on a Greek text version, rather than on a Greek morphology version. I've done that myself a few times.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Brian,
    The problem is not with how keyboards operate in BibleWorks. He was trying to do a morphology search on a Greek text version, rather than on a Greek morphology version. I've done that myself a few times.
    Me, too!
    I am guilty of making that mistake as well.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Yeah, the way the Matching Pairs were listed in the help file kinda confused me. Suffice it to say BGT≠BGM.

And I still haven't found the delete button! If only ANE cultures had fought out their battles on message boards, we could know when they lost. I suppose it shall remain in everlasting opposition to my inordinate self-esteem.