Thread: Displaying search results and other formatting questions

Question Displaying search results and other formatting questions

I am a new (and somewhat frustrated) Bibleworks user who does not have a great deal of time to figure out all the ins and outs of this program.

Perhaps someone could help me with a few specific changes that I would like to make in the way Bibleworks displays text:

1) I am trying to find a way to conduct a search in a morphological text and have the results automatically display in another version. For example, if I seach for all occurrences of the word 'logos' in BNM, it seems natural to display the results in the much more elegant BNT, but the running text in the left column is set to BNM.

2) I notice that there is a Synopsis tool that follows the Aland numbering system, but the text version is set to NAS rather than BNT. Is there a way to change the version in the Synopsis tool? I would think there should also be a way to display search results in a synopsis window that preserves parallel verses in the other Gospels. This would be particularly useful in cases where I want to compare Luke's use of a particular word with the word usage in Matthew and Mark. Unfortunately, when I try to display search results in the synopsis tool all 3 columns display the same verse.

3) Finally, is there a handy introduction to running complex original language searches? My main reason for purchasing Bibleworks was to take advantage of its original language search capabilities, but the Bibleworks User Manual restricts itself for the most part to English examples. The coding system seems unnecessarily complicated!

Thanks,

dmiller
    Last edited by dmiller; 09-17-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Default Sorry

I am sorry to hear of your frustration and disapointment. I think you will find that there are many very satisfied BibleWorks users out there. I will not deny that there is a learning curve (like there is for any thing else - especially complex computer programs), but it is worth it.

I highly recommend watching the videos on the second CD and reading the manual. There is a section in the manual that gives English, Greek and Hebrew examples. There are simple and more complex morphological examples all in chart form. I cannot remember the page number, but it is towards the beginning.

Lets see about your specific questions:

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller
    I am a new (and somewhat frustrated) Bibleworks user who does not have a great deal of time to figure out all the ins and outs of this program.

Perhaps someone could help me with a few specific changes that I would like to make in the way Bibleworks displays text:

1) I am trying to find a way to conduct a search in a morphological text and have the results automatically display in another version. For example, if I seach for all occurrences of the word 'logos' in BNM, it seems natural to display the results in the much more elegant BNT, but the running text in the left column is set to BNM.
    For version 6.0:

a. Go to tools - options - option flags

b. Expand 'Results Window Configuration Options'

c. Place a check in the box for 'Do not automatically make morphology version display version'

- Just to check:

d. Expand "Shutdown Options'

e. Make sure there is a check in the box for 'Save setup options on exit'

f. Make sure there is NO check in the box for 'Initialize INI file on exit'

g. Click OK

Next set of steps:

a. Go to View - Choose display versions.

b. Make sure that only those versions you want displayed are checked

c. Click OK

d. Go to Seach - Choose search version

e. Choose BNM

Now you should have BNM as you search version (BNM will be in the large box to the left of the command line), and those display version you selected (I will assume BNT is one of them).

Next set of steps:

a. From the command line tyle .logos including the period.

b. Hit enter on your key board

You will see the results for all the froms of
    logos with the hits highlighted in yellow.

2) I notice that there is a Synopsis tool that follows the Aland numbering system, but the text version is set to NAS rather than BNT. Is there a way to change the version in the Synopsis tool? I would think there should also be a way to display search results in a synopsis window that preserves parallel verses in the other Gospels. This would be particularly useful in cases where I want to compare Luke's use of a particular word with the word usage in Matthew and Mark. Unfortunately, when I try to display search results in the synopsis tool all 3 columns display the same verse.
    a. Go to Tools - Synopsis Window

b. File open - aland.sdf

c. File edit
    - The the second line add BNT after /Display NAU
    d. File run

You should now see each entry in both the NAU and BNT, you will have the number of parallel windows as there are synoptic comaparisions.

For example for Prologue you will have four windows, for The Promise of the Birth of John the Baptist you will have only one.

3) Finally, is there a handy introduction to running complex original language searches? My main reason for purchasing Bibleworks was to take advantage of its original language search capabilities, but the Bibleworks User Manual restricts itself for the most part to English examples. The coding system seems unnecessarily complicated!
    Finally see the section of the manual I refered to above. Also there are other thread on this forum that give example Advanced Search Engine queries. You will also find several of those in your ase directory under BibleWorks 6.

Enjoy,
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Question

Thanks Joe, for your response.

>>Now you should have BNM as you search version (BNM will be in the large box to the left of the command line), and those display version you selected (I will assume BNT is one of them).

The problem is that this only works in multiple version mode. I want to search in BNM and have the running text in browse mode to display in BNT. This way I can have a short summary of my search results (with the verse display) in the upper right box, and the context of each verse in the left results box.

>>You should now see each entry in both the NAU and BNT, you will have the number of parallel windows as there are synoptic comaparisions.

This works, thanks. My bigger concern, however, is to find a way to display search results in the synopsis window. For example, if I run my 'logos' search and then open the synopsis window, the parallel versions are obliterated when I click on one of the search results verses. (I hope this makes sense.)

Another question: Is it possible to restrict the number of possible versions in the version drop-down list without deleting some versions? I only expect to use a select number of English versions on a regular basis, and I don't want to get rid of the French and German versions that I might use from time to time--but I would prefer not to have all the versions available on the drop-down list. It would be handy to have the most commonly used versions display at the top of the list.

Thanks,

dmiller

Default Not Yet...

Thanks Joe, for your response.

>>Now you should have BNM as you search version (BNM will be in the large box to the left of the command line), and those display version you selected (I will assume BNT is one of them).

The problem is that this only works in multiple version mode. I want to search in BNM and have the running text in browse mode to display in BNT. This way I can have a short summary of my search results (with the verse display) in the upper right box, and the context of each verse in the left results box.
    I do believe you are correct, this is not possible right now, although it would be a very nice feature to add. I suggest sending this to ideas@bibleworks.com they like user suggestions.

>>You should now see each entry in both the NAU and BNT, you will have the number of parallel windows as there are synoptic comaparisions.

This works, thanks. My bigger concern, however, is to find a way to display search results in the synopsis window. For example, if I run my 'logos' search and then open the synopsis window, the parallel versions are obliterated when I click on one of the search results verses. (I hope this makes sense.)
    I think the parallel window may be more of what you are wanting here. Check tools - parallel window.

Another question: Is it possible to restrict the number of possible versions in the version drop-down list without deleting some versions? I only expect to use a select number of English versions on a regular basis, and I don't want to get rid of the French and German versions that I might use from time to time--but I would prefer not to have all the versions available on the drop-down list. It would be handy to have the most commonly used versions display at the top of the list.
    Again, I don't think this is possible. If you go to Search - Choose Search Version you can check the box to 'Show Only Active Display Versions'. If would seem like you want something like this for the drop down menu.

The nice thing is you don't have to use any of the menus, you can just give the commands on the command line:

Simply typing the three letters will change the search version: BNT

Type d three letters will change add a display vesion:

d NAU NET

d -NET will remove NET from the display.

This is much faster than a menu.

However, once again you could suggest what you are looking for to ideas@bibleworks.com

I think you will see that this program never stays the same for long. If there is something you are hoping for just pass it on to the BW folks, they continue to exceed most peoples expectations!!
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default Favorites

It sounds like creating favorites would help with this. Left-click on the button to the left of the Command Line (assuming your using power user mode; it's probably close to the same in the other 2 modes) and you should get a drop-down. Go to Edit Favorites. Add the versions you want and give that selection of versions a name. I have about 5 sets of favorites that i use all with different names that show up on that same drop-down after creating them. You can always use the invaluable help function and/or manual for more info.

hope this will help; sorry if not.

dt
    Last edited by frankenfro; 09-20-2004 at 09:28 AM. Reason: left something out

Default Displaying in browse mode

Dear dmiller,

Perhaps this will provide what you are looking for so that you can see your BNM search results in BNT browse mode.

--Make sure that you have the "Do not make the morphological versions search versions" checked under Tools/Options/Option Flags/Results Window Configuration Options, as Joe mentioned in his first message.

--Under the View menu option choose "Results window header" and select "Show current verse" if it isn't already selected. This will place a round radio button at the top of the results window.

--Set your search version to BNM and your results window to BNT and whatever other versions you wish. This rsults window will be in multi-version mode.

--Under the View menu option choose "New Results Window". The new results window should also have a radio button in the results window header. If it doesn't, select "Show current verse" as described above. Move and resize the new results window so it is visible but not in the way.

--Click the radio button on your second results window. Using the buttons at the top of the second results window, choose BNT as your version. Set the window to browse mode. Your command line search version will change to BNT, but that is o.k. We will change it back later.

--Click the radio button on the first results window. Your search version will change to BNM. Perform your search. You can see your search results in multi-version mode in your first results window.

--When you want to see the search results in browse mode, select the radio button in your second results window. The search version changes to BNT, but your search results remain in the window. Now you can click through your search results and see them appear in browse mode in the second results window!

Not knowing how your Command Center is set up, here is an option that may be helpful to you. Under Tools/Options/Option Flags/Command Center Configuration Options/Listbox Layout Options select "Verse listbox + text". You can also choose to show the entire verse, if you like.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fleener
    Type d three letters will change add a display vesion:

d NAU NET

d -NET will remove NET from the display.

This is much faster than a menu.
    This is an excellent tool. How do you mass-remove versions using the key shortcut?

For example, I can show all by using:
    d all

and then remove versions one by one
    d -niv -nau

But what if I display all, and then I want to remove everything except the ESV? How would I do that?

Default Clearing all versions

Hi Trajan,

To clear all versions but the NAS enter

display clear NAS

or

d c nas

Mike