Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use Color files in brother text

Default Use Color files in brother text

Is there a way to use Color Files(that are created with a search in BGM) in a brother text (say, BGT) ?

Seems that the BW7 user interface has been somehow 'removed' from BW8 ...

Any advice?

Thanks,
    -Andley.

Hi Andley,

The BW8 interface has been streamlined, yet still retains the functionality you mention.

If you select Tools | Viewing the Text from the main BW menu, then select either Apply Color to Selected Text, or Apply Color to Search Results (whichever task you want to fulfill), the text coloring window opens.

When you apply the coloring (either to selected text or to search results), the color is applied to both the text version and brother text morphology version (if there is one). The color file is saved with either the text version or the morphology version, depending upon the version you used for the initial coloring.

Under Display Options in the text coloring window you can select if you want the coloring to display on the text version, the morphology version, or both.

In other words, you don't have to choose to color the brother text before you color the main text--the coloring automatically applies to both. By checking and unchecking the Display Options boxes you can show or hide the coloring in either the text or morphology versions whenever you want to.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Glenn,

Thanks for the help ... one further question:

let's say I created a color file v-subj.clr with a search in BGM

then I set my display/search version back to BGT (as BGT is the version that I usually work with)

now, is there a way to make v-subj.clr also available when I click Apply Colors to selected Text?

Thanks again,
    -Andley.

follow-up with 2 screen-shots:
    Name:  bgt.png
Views: 92
Size:  40.4 KB
    Name:  bgm.png
Views: 89
Size:  23.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by andley View Post
    Glenn,

Thanks for the help ... one further question:

let's say I created a color file v-subj.clr with a search in BGM

then I set my display/search version back to BGT (as BGT is the version that I usually work with)

now, is there a way to make v-subj.clr also available when I click Apply Colors to selected Text?

Thanks again,
    -Andley.

Hi Andley,

Color files are associated with the original creating version. You cannot use the same color file for coloring in two different versions.

While coloring in the BGM also applies to the BGT, you cannot color in either the BGM or the BGT using the same color file. You must color in the same version that was originally used when the color file was created.

When you display the Color Text Window, only color files that apply to the current search version (or, in the case of selected text, the version that has selected text in the Browse Window) appear in the Color File Options section of the window.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Thanks for the info. Now I understand.....

Having said that, it would be nice if the "good old BW7 color file option" can be made available in BW8 .... so that I can stay with BGT while enjoying those advanced searches done with BGM ....

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

God bless,
    -Andley.

Hi Andley,

You could create two color files that overlap in what you want to accomplish. You can name them the same, only with the addition of the version name in the file. For example, you can name them v-subBGT.clr and v-subBGM.clr. The correct file will display itself in the Display Options section of the Text Coloring window depending upon which version is selected in the Browse Window (or is the search version). Both color files will display if you have the options for text and morph checked.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Glenn,

Not sure if I understand you correctly ---

I use a command line search <;*@vs*> in BGM to get v-subBGM.clr file

But since BGT does not have the morph. info, so how can I get v-subBGT.clr file that would have all the subjunctive verbs colored?

Thanks,
    -Andley.

Hi Andley,

Once you have created a search in the morph version (BGM), the search results will display in the companion text (BGT), even if the morph version is not a display version, as long as the checkbox next to the color file is checked.

Here is an example for you to try. (Since you are working in BGM & BGT, I will use a different version set so you won't corrupt any other color files.)

Select a new tab on the Search Window, then display the BYZ and BYM. Set the BYM as your search version. Open the "Apply Color to Search Results" Text Coloring Window. On the Command Line run a search for subjunctive verbs ( .*@vs* ). In the Text Coloring Window select the New button to create a new color file. Name the file "v-subBYM", be sure that the new color file has the focus in the Color File Options section (the file with the focus has the radio button selected), then press the button to Apply Color to Search Results. Be sure that the Display Options checkboxes to Display text colors and Display morph text colors are checked.

Close the Text Coloring Window, and remove the BYM from the Browse Window. Notice that the text coloring remains on the BYZ text, even though the BYM is no longer a display version.

Now open the Apply Colors to Selected Text window. Change the text background color to a different color. Place your cursor in the BYZ text in the Browse Window. Create a new color file named "v-subBYZ". Select some text in the BYZ, and press the button to Apply Color to Selected Text. Notice that the selected text in the BYZ is colored, and the search result text from the BYM search are both on display in the BYZ. (You might have to uncheck and recheck the checkbox next to v-subbyz the first time after you select and color the text. This appears to be a minor bug on my system, though maybe you will not experience this.)

By using the Display Options setting you can choose to display or hide the morph or text colors, even if the companion version is not on display.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Glenn,

It works until the point where I

...Create a new color file named "v-subBYZ". Select some text in the BYZ, and press the button to Apply Color to Selected Text. Notice that the selected text in the BYZ is colored, and the search result text from the BYM search are both on display in the BYZ.
    The issue is that I have to keep v-subBYM ON all the time, while working with BYZ, to be able to see all the subjunctives colored.

What I hope is to be able turn on-and-off quickly, while working with BYZ, those color files that I created in BYM (eg. subjunctives, nouns, prep. etc)

If I understood it correctly, v-subBYZ and v-subBYM are still two separate files. The color info. of the subjunctives are still retained in v-subBYM, and is not transported into v-subBYZ by the procedure you suggested ....

Thanks again,
    -Andley.