Thread: Brain cramp... help!!

Question Brain cramp... help!!

What's the best way to look up an English word e.g., worship and locate all the Greek words that have been translated worship and then identify other English words, other than worship, that have been transtate from them in a quick and straightforward report?

There is no quick and easy way.
    What I would do is this:
    1.Find all verses that have "worship".
    2.Eliminate all verses that have PROSKUNEW in Greek, since it is by far the most frequent word. Do this in the Word List Manager.
    3.Check the rest by hand, or reduce the list further by repeating 2 with the second most frequent Greek word.

Best wishes
    Wieland
    <><
    ------------------------------------------------
    Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
    Textcritical commentary:
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html

Alternatively, try the Louw-Nida Lexicon. Subject 53G has a list of Greek synonyms for "worship."

Thumbs up Possible suggestion for enhancement...

Perhaps this functionality can be submitted as a suggestion for future upgrades... I'm sure I'm not the only person that would appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomp View Post
    Perhaps this functionality can be submitted as a suggestion for future upgrades...
    If you know of a way how to achieve this ...
    Best wishes
    Wieland
    <><
    Textcritical commentary:

Default Other ways

bobvenem suggests what is probably the most effective way of addressing your query by looking at the Louw-Nida domain. It will provide you with a whole range of Greek words and accompanying English possibilities.
    Some other ways:

• You can extend the Louw-Nida usage by using it in a command line search. Choose a Greek morph version (eg, BGM), then right click in the command line and choose "Insert Louw-Nida Domain Code." You'll see how it allows you to pick a domain like 53G. You can then run the search and in the Browse window, display any and all English versions you want to see how each translated the word.
    • It's a limited roundabout way, but to get English words translating a given Greek word, try using Strong's. Use NAU, turn on Strong's, and when you hover over a Strong's number, the Strong's data will be provided in the Analysis window. It includes stats on Usage which indicate all the ways that word is translated. KJV also is linked to Strong's, and you will get different usage results of course. You can also derive similar data from the NET Bible online. E.g., http://net.bible.org/strong.php?id=4352
    • Though it is not particularly efficient, another way to get at this is to search the lexicons. E.g., open the Lexicons browser window and choose a lexicon. Then click on Edit > Search > choose English > click Top of File > enter search word > Find Next. Repeat as you work through the lexicon finding all instances where desired word shows up in definitions.
    • You could (ahem, begging your pardon...) use a competing software program which has a function to collate such information both ways (Greek word > English usages or English word > Greek words it is translating). It also works for Hebrew. I'm guessing this is what you are looking for. (BW8 is still the program I open first, but I'm just saying... It may be something the busy folks at BW8 might want to put on their list..., BUT I am not really sure how helpful this really is. For me, the info provided by the Louw-Nida domain is the most helpful and useful.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MGVH; 10-13-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by wie View Post
    If you know of a way how to achieve this ...
    I'm pretty sure the way to do this is via Strong's. For each word, there is a Usage stat, and so mainly it is a matter of creating a database that collates all that.
    The diagram I provide in my other post on this thread shows how Logos is using their Reverse Interlinears to obtain similar results.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

What's the best way to look up an English word e.g., worship and locate all the Greek words that have been translated worship
    Page 1017 in The Greek English Concordance to the New Testament (Kohlenberger, Goodrick & Swanson) lists all the Greek words that are translated as "worship" and its variations (worshiped, worshiper, etc).

and then identify other English words, other than worship, that have been transtate from them
    You look them up in the body of this work which gives all the various ways that the words have been translated in summary form at the beginning of each entry.

in a quick and straightforward report?
    Pencil and paper or word processor. (i.e. the "good old fashioned way").

Sorry, that is about as quick and easy as I can make it. I'm sure that there must be a GSE type search that can do it all at once in BW8, but I don't what it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I'm pretty sure the way to do this is via Strong's. For each word, there is a Usage stat, and so mainly it is a matter of creating a database that collates all that.
    I agree, but you have to do this for all versions, which is very time-consuming. And a major problem is that you don't even know for most versions what Greek text they translated.

Good idea to present the evidence as diagrams as you did. Looks good!
    Best wishes
    Wieland
    <><
    Textcritical commentary:

The ideas presented above are good ideas. Here is how I would do it:

Start with Louw-Nida to find the Greek appropriate Greek words. Run a search on each of those words in turn to find the Strong's number for each Greek word.

Search on each Greek word using the Strong's number. But don't just search on the number, as that will only yield the number in your search hits. What you want to find is the English translation, so create a search like this:

.*@07812

This search is looking for the English words (signified by the asterisk) that translates the NAU Strong's number for the Greek term PROSKUNEW (signified by the number 07812).

Of course, the search has to be done in an English version that is tagged for Strong's numbers. You won't obtain search results as good from searching the Strong's numbers as you will from searching using the Greek text, but it might provide what you need.

You can use the Word List Manager to import your search results, but since the results of searching the Strong's numbers will be phrases, not individual words, the Word List Manager results will be a little skewed. (For example, the word "to" will be listed in the Word List Manager, because one of the phrase results is "to bow ourselves down".)

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.