B."T )IY$AN WF(IYRFH

וְעִם רוּחִי גְּוִיָּתִי
    WIM RW.XIY G.:WIY.FTIY

יהוה לִי וְלֹא אִירָא
    YHWH LIY W:LO) )IYRF)
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Adon Olam. Now you are talking memories, Brian! By the way, you might be interested to know that the hymn/song Adon Olam has been put to many melodies, all of them nice, in my humble opinion.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Some Good news, AND a challenge!

I have just finished converting or rather re-transcribing a small Ashkenazi Siddur with vowel points into the CCAT format.
    When a 12point font is used it takes about 69 pages in OpenWriter office.
    (Sorry, I been busy at work so I am sorry I was a little on the slow side on this project. From now on I should have more time.)

Now, I need help in thinking about how to arrange/organize the text for use with BibleWorks database compiler.

The issue here is the fact that:
    Prayer Books are usually not numbered/ and versed like Bible texts. However, to import the Siddur text into the database compiler it will need to be versified.

Does, anyone have an suggestions?

This is great news! I can't wait to see it! Thanks for your efforts!

I think I would treat each core piece of the liturgy as a book (like books of the bible), and give each main section within each piece of the liturgy a chapter number. From there, verse numbers. Each Kaddish could be one book, with one chapter, with whatever number of verses. The Shema could be one book, with three chapters, each with so many verses. The Amidah could be one book, with 19 or more chapters, each with so many verses. You will have to come up with some "book names" for the various prayers! However, this could become our standard layout for future projects! There are a few English Siddurim available within the public domain that could easily become B.W. modules.

Nevertheless, please do what you think is best!

Hey Irv, you better know Adon Olam! Shalom my friend!
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj souĊ

עשׁה שׁלום במרומיו הוא יעשׂה שׁלום עלינו ועל כל ישׂראל ואמרו אמן׃

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu

Quote Originally Posted by BigJayOneill View Post

Hey Irv, you better know Adon Olam! Shalom my friend!
    Absolutely, Jay! Adon Olam, Lord of the Universe, please bring back the Whale for my friend Jay! Stamkos is amazing by the way!

Just a couple hints about dividing up new databases. When you come up with "book name" abbreviations, they have to have a combination of three letters or numbers each, and they have to be different from any other three-character abbreviation used for any other database in BibleWorks. I think that the BibleWorks blog should have a books name file (ending in .bna) available, which contains all the abbreviations in use thus far for publicly available databases.
    Concerning the "verse" number, some of Michael Hanel's classical Greek databases use line numbers instead of coming up with a non-standard verse division. Such line numbers work fine for displaying the text in BW, but if a translation is envisioned to go along with it, sometimes it is difficult to match up the lines of translation exactly with the original. At present verse map file (to allow the user to view multiple verses or lines together) do not work for non-biblical books. But God-willing that can be remedied if the programmers ever have time to branch out farther from the biblical books, which is not their focus.
    If you want to bounce your decisions about abbreviations and numbering systems off of other users, just ask.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 11-24-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: deleted erroneous information

Default book names

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    ..."book name" abbreviations, they have to have a combination of three letters or numbers each (I think the first character must be a letter), and they have to be different from any other
    Biblical book name abbreviations include 1ki, 2ki, 1jo, etc.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Absolutely, Jay! Adon Olam, Lord of the Universe, please bring back the Whale for my friend Jay! Stamkos is amazing by the way!

Thanks Irv! I say AMEN!

Stamkos is playing well right now.
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj souĊ

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    ...Concerning the "verse" number, some of Michael Hanel's classical Greek databases use line numbers instead of coming up with a non-standard verse division. Such line numbers work fine for displaying the text in BW, but if a translation is envisioned to go along with it, sometimes it is difficult to match up the lines of translation exactly with the original...
    If you want to bounce your decisions about abbreviations and numbering systems off of other users, just ask...
    Thanks, Mark and I will take be asking a few questions very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJayOneill View Post
    I think I would treat each core piece of the liturgy as a book (like books of the bible), and give each main section within each piece of the liturgy a chapter number. From there, verse numbers...
    Thank you for your advice BigJayOneill.
    Brian K. Mitchell

Default I am still working...

Just to let you(plural) know I haven't abandoned this project.
    I am still working on it in my free time. If, anyone wants any of the files I have converted so far let me know and I will either post them here are send them by e-mail.
    Brian K. Mitchell

Great news. I would be glad to check out your files.

Please feel free to take my Amidah files and include them in any type of Jewish liturgy module.

What happed to the guy who was going to make that conversion program?

Enjoy your week before Christmas!