Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BibleWorks Hebraica/Judaica project

Quote Originally Posted by BigJayOneill View Post
    It is my pleasure. Thank you for your contribution to the BibleWorks community!
    Thank me later, I haven't finished or released anything, yet. However, I have added your Siddur suggestion to the master list and as a priority. I think I will be able to complete the entering of a small siddur faster than any of the other projects. I have located a few public domain Siddurim in good condition.

I'll be back,
    Brian
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Thank me later, I haven't finished or released anything, yet. However, I have added your Siddur suggestion to the master list and as a priority. I think I will be able to complete the entering of a small siddur faster than any of the other projects. I have located a few public domain Siddurim in good condition.

I'll be back,
    Brian

This is great news!

I know of a few online siddurim that I have utilized in order to compile a small "morning service" collection within my Kindle (PDF files with large font). If I could learn of a way in which to convert unicode docs into CCAT/ BW format then I would "go nuts" making modules! I would LOVE to get the Texts you mentioned into BibleWorks.
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj souĊ

עשׁה שׁלום במרומיו הוא יעשׂה שׁלום עלינו ועל כל ישׂראל ואמרו אמן׃

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu

Default A conversion program

Converting a Hebrew text into CCAT would be very easy to do programatically. If you have access to the Hebrew text (assuming it is in a documented format like unicode), a conversion program would be very easy to write and it would save many hours of typing and proof reading for transcription errors.

I am very much interested in having these resource available in Bibleworks, so let me know if I can help with the software for conversion of the text.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJayOneill View Post
    This is great news!

I know of a few online siddurim that I have utilized in order to compile a small "morning service" collection within my Kindle (PDF files with large font). If I could learn of a way in which to convert unicode docs into CCAT/ BW format then I would "go nuts" making modules! I would LOVE to get the Texts you mentioned into BibleWorks.

Kindle documents (and some PDF's) are encrypted. Additionally, PDF's may have graphic pictures of the text rather than true Hebrew unicode. If you cannot select the text and paste it into another document like MS Word, then it likely is not a usable source for conversion. If the source does allow the text to be selected and copied, it could be placed in a document that was easy to convert to CCAT. The PDF format is not the most easy document format to convert from directly.

Quote Originally Posted by benelchi View Post
    If you cannot select the text and paste it into another document like MS Word, then it likely is not a usable source for conversion. If the source does allow the text to be selected and copied, it could be placed in a document that was easy to convert to CCAT. The PDF format is not the most easy document format to convert from directly.
    I am using texts that are in Unicode and that are 'free content'.
    Brian K. Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    I am using texts that are in Unicode and that are 'free content'.
    If you can point me to the source, I should be able to make a conversion program.

If you can point me to the source, I should be able to make a conversion program.

This would be great!
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj souĊ

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu

"Ask, and it shall be given you;" (Mat 7:7)

A Free Content Mishnah
    The Open Mishnah Project at Wikisource

The following link has lots of Judaica
    Hebrew Wikisource

I am not using this one, but it is pretty nice:
    Free Siddur Project
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 11-17-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell

Default Another source

I like the following: http://www.onlinesiddur.com/

In addition, if you copy some text from any of the prayers and paste it into a search bar you will find numerous sources for siddurim texts. I am sure we could do the same thing with other Jewish texts as well.

If you create the program, please let us know. I am sure we will come up with a few ways to utilize it!
    Last edited by BigJayOneill; 11-18-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Question Siddur CCAT Conversion finnished

Some Good news, AND a challenge!

I have just finished converting or rather re-transcribing a small Ashkenazi Siddur with vowel points into the CCAT format.
    When a 12point font is used it takes about 69 pages in OpenWriter office.
    (Sorry, I been busy at work so I am sorry I was a little on the slow side on this project. From now on I should have more time.)

Now, I need help in thinking about how to arrange/organize the text for use with BibleWorks database compiler.

The issue here is the fact that:
    Prayer Books are usually not numbered/ and versed like Bible texts. However, to import the Siddur text into the database compiler it will need to be versified.

Does, anyone have an suggestions?
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 11-22-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    Brian K. Mitchell