Thread: Cannot find particular copy option

Default Cannot find particular copy option

Hello everyone

In BibleWorks 8 is there a way to select a range of verses say Matthew 1:1 to Matthew 1:25 and export to clipboard in everyone of my display versions.

My Display versions are as follows: KJV, Stephens Greek, Westcott and Hort Greek

So, when I paste to Wordpad I get, say, KJV, Stephens Greek and W&H Greek in Wordpad for each of my selected verses.

This was so simple in Bibleworks 7 but I cannot find a way of doing this in version 8

Thanks
    Edenhope
    Last edited by edenhope; 09-21-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Default Popup Copy Window

Hi Edenhope,

The Popup Copy Window will do what you want. By default it only exports the verses using the search version, but you can change that. Click on the "Copy" button that appears immediately below the Command Line. Select the option for "Copy format options" at the bottom of the list, then select "for Popup Copy Window". Under "What Versions to include" select "All display versions". Click OK to close the window.

Press Ctrl + Shift + b to open the Popup Copy Window. Enter the range Mat 1:1-25 in the box, and click "Copy". Now you can paste the verses in your word processor.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Default Thank you

Thanks a lot for that answer, and for a great Bible study programme.

I set the parameters that you said, but when I entered Mat 1:1-25 in the box, and clicked 'copy' I got this error message: 'The specific range is invalid, or does not occur in the current search version'

What to do, please?

Ok, I am editing thisreply because I think I have the answer.

An example follows:
    When I am viewing OT I have KJV and WTT as my display version, and when I am viewing the NT I have KJV and STE as my display Versions.

The Popup Copy window has KJV, WTT, STE at the bottom of it, so when the range of verses to copy are NT the error is in the WTT Hebrew and if I am copying OT the error is in the STE Greek.

I hope that is plain enough.

Does that mean I have to change the parameters each time I change betweeen NT and OT?

Thanks again
    Steven
    Last edited by edenhope; 09-22-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Hi Steven,

When you open the Popup Copy Window the button on the far left shows a version abbreviation. This version is the controlling version for the versification. Without this version indicated the program would not know what verse mapping to apply. (This becomes especially important in the Psalms, for example, where the Hebrew and Greek text numbering may be significantly different.)

The problem you are experiencing is that you have an OT-only version and are entering a NT verse range, or have a NT-only version and are entering an OT verse range. Since neither verse range appear in the version, an error message appears.

You can still have OT-only and NT-only versions in your display list, even if the versions do not appear on screen. This works for the Popup Copy Window, too. But since BibleWorks needs to know the correct verse map to apply, you must specify a version that contains the range that you want to export.

In your case, since you are exporting the KJV for both the OT and NT texts, you will want to set the version id box to KJV. In doing so you will no longer have the error message, since the KJV includes the OT and NT ranges.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

Default Thank you Glenn

I finally worked it out.

Thanks very much for your help.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Steven,

In your case, since you are exporting the KJV for both the OT and NT texts, you will want to set the version id box to KJV. In doing so you will no longer have the error message, since the KJV includes the OT and NT ranges.

Blessings,
    Hey Glenn, pardon my intrusion into this thread, but how and where can one set the "Version ID Box?" I can't find any setting where one can set the "Version ID." I'm not even exactly sure what a "Version ID" is. But it seems like it would be a helpful setting to know when one of your display versions does not fit the verse range of the desired copy operation.

Thanks,

Irving

Hi Irving,

The button to which I am referring is on the left side of the Popup Copy Window. (There is not an official name for the button, so I called it the Version ID button.) That button shows the version name abbreviation. Click on that button and you can select the primary version used to map the verses.

There is more information about how the Popup Copy Window works, so I suggest also reading the section on the Popup Copy Window in the BibleWorks 8 Help file, chapter 41 Copying Results.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

Glenn,

Thanks so much for the response. You taught me something. My "Version ID Box" (good name for it, by the way!) is always grayed out. Thus clicking on it will do nothing. I experimented with the settings and found out that the reason my "Version ID Box" is always grayed out is because I have the "Search Version Only" option checked in the Popup Copy Window Options dialog (in the "What Versions to Include" field). When I tried changing the setting to include "All Display Versions," I then had the ability to click on the "Version ID Box," which was no longer grayed out. But because I have numerous display versions in my Browse windows at any given time, I will likely never want to copy "All Display Versions." So, unfortunately, my "Version ID Box" will be grayed out the vast majority of the time. I still say that it would be nice to be able to change copy versions in the Popup Copy Window "on the fly," like in past versions of BibleWorks. In other words, I would like to see the Popup Copy Window itself come with more of the selectable options within it. This sure beats having to go into the Options first, and then bring up the Popup Copy Window afterward. One too many steps in my opinion. The Popup Copy Window in earlier versions of BibleWorks allowed more changes "on the fly." But, again, thanks for the response, Glenn!

Irving

Hi Irving,

I think that the option "These Versions + Popup Copy Version" will do what you want. You do not have to include anything in the box, unless there is a version that you always want to copy.

In this way the control of what version you copy with the Popup Copy Window is always set by the "Version ID" button rather than depending upon your search version, the display versions, or the Options settings. Just open the Popup Copy Window, click the button to select the output version, and enter your verse(s) to copy. The Popup Copy version is remembered between sessions.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

Thanks Glenn, I have now selected that option (i.e., "These versions + Popup Copy version"), and have left it blank. Thanks for the tip.

Blessings,

Irving