Thread: Modules I would like to see

Default Modules I would like to see

Dear Bibleworks,
    I love the fact that you are a language based program and many thanks to all who put the time and effort in to making BW a top notch program. I use it every single day and recommend it to all who ask and all who do not. However, I would like to make some requests. Again, these are just some recommendations from one of your users.
    1. Spicq's 3Vol Set
    2. New Doc Ill Early Christianity 9 Vol
    3. Oxford Latin Dictionary
    4. Stanley Porter's Greek Grammar
    5. Mounce's Greek Grammar 3rd Ed.
    6. This one is out there but the SEG (Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum)
    Thanks,
    garrell
    IN CHRIST
    GCALTON

Default Modules

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Those are ones I use on a regular basis. I would love to hear what other use in their day in day out study.
    IN CHRIST
    GCALTON

I would like to see Kittel unabridged made available. Weingreen's Hebrew grammar.

Some Bible dictionaries/encyclopedias would be helpful. I'd probably buy Anchor Bible Dictionary as an add-on. There are several similarly geared, but older, resources that are in the public domain, such as the original ISBE. McClintock's and Strong's would be great.

Personally, I would not be opposed to seeing commentaries in BW, either standard or as an add-on, although I doubt that will happen.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I would like to see Kittel unabridged made available. Weingreen's Hebrew grammar...
    Greetings Lee,

Weingreen's Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew is available for BibleWorks:
    http://store.bibleworks.com/WEIN.html

WEIN
    Unlock code for WEIN - Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew, 2nd edition, by Jacob Weingreen. Copyright Oxford University Press 2004.

This grammar is based upon simple rules which are explained from the point of view of ordinary speech. The language employed is free from heavy technicalities, and the grammar itself is arranged in a succession of inter-dependent chapters, each accompanied by exercises in Hebrew-English and English-Hebrew. Vocabulary and tables are also included, and irregular verbs are rationalized philologically. The grammar has been planned to introduce the student as quickly as possible to a working knowledge of Classical Hebrew.
    (from the book jacket)

A valuable introduction to classical Hebrew, this volume includes many examples helpful for students and scholars.

This item requires BibleWorks 7 or later and is available (a) by download and unlock in BibleWorks 7 Revision A01, with download instructions furnished upon ordering; or (b) by unlock from CD in BibleWorks 7 Revision A02 or later.
    $49.00

And, an (Abridged) Kittel is can also be purchased as an add on module.
    http://store.bibleworks.com/TDNT.html

TDNT

Unlock code for TDNT - Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (Abridged), by Gerhard Kittel, Gerhard Friedrich, and Geoffrey W. Bromiley. Copyright 1985 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

Many years of use have confirmed the value of the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament in both the German and the English versions. At the same time its size and the technical nature of much of the material have inhibited many Bible students who might have profited from its essential insights. To overcome these difficulties this single-volume condensation of the nine volumes, this 'little Kittel,' has been prepared and is being offered to what it is hoped will be a much wider Christian public.

Focusing on the theological meaning of each word, the abridgment contains English keywords for each entry, tables of English and Greek keywords, and a listing of the relevant volume and page numbers from the unabridged work at the end of each article or section. The more prominent (and especially New Testament) meanings have been added in brackets for ready reference.

(from the Introduction and the publisher's website)
    Requires BibleWorks 7 or later.
    $59.00
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 09-21-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Red face Comfort's New Testament Textual commentary

I use these all the time:

Comfort's New Testament and Textual Commentary
    UBS Modern Hebrew New Testament
    Lightfoot NT Commentary from the Hebraica

Default Dictionaries/Encyclopedias

Hi Lee,

BibleWorks includes the original ISBE, Fausset's dictinary, and Easton's dictionary. To open these dictionaries go to "Resources" on the main BibleWorks menu, then select "Bible Dictionaries". In the Dictionary Browser select "Dictionaries" on the menu, then select the dictionary that you want to display.

Blessings,
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Brian and Glenn, thanks for straightening me out. I knew little Kittel was available, but I did not know Weingreen's grammar was available. $49 seems a little on the steep side, but it's good to know it is there. And now that you mention it, I believe I have used ISBE on BW in the past, but it's kind of tucked away. As an aside, it would be nice if related ISBE entries would show up on the "Resources" tab.

Brian and Glenn, thanks for straightening me out. I knew little Kittel was available, but I did not know Weingreen's grammar was available. $49 seems a little on the steep side, but it's good to know it is there.
    It's by Oxford so I imagine, they have some influence in the price BW can charge. Even on Amazon the new price is 53$ (down from $59 sticker price) and even used copies are rather high at $35. Anyway, I think $49 is expensive for grammars in general, but for this particular grammar, it's not a bad price at all.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

As an aside, it would be nice if related ISBE entries would show up on the "Resources" tab.
    Great suggestion, Lee!