Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Text Question

  1. #1

    Default Text Question

    Why is it that the Alexandrinus manuscript is considered Byzantine within the Gospels and Alexandrian in the rest of the NT?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp View Post
    Why is it that the Alexandrinus manuscript is considered Byzantine within the Gospels and Alexandrian in the rest of the NT?
    Because of an arbitrary classification system Alexandrinus contains more "Byzantine" readings in the Gospels and more "Alexandrian" readings in the Pauline epistles.

  3. #3

    Default

    I once heard some story about the Gospels section of Alexandrinus being borrowed by a group of monks and it was subsequently destroyed in a fire or some accident. The monks replace it with a Byzantine copy. Have you heard anything like that?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp View Post
    I once heard some story about the Gospels section of Alexandrinus being borrowed by a group of monks and it was subsequently destroyed in a fire or some accident. The monks replace it with a Byzantine copy. Have you heard anything like that?
    What passes for modern textual criticism is full of stories.

    Actual evidence for these stories, on the other hand, is more rare than a living T-Rex.

    You can see my upcoming Part III for more details on this exact issue, which hopefully will posted in the next several days.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 09-25-2010 at 07:22 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    You can see my upcoming Part III for more details on this exact issue, which hopefully will posted in the next several days.
    I'll look forward to reading it...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomp View Post
    I'll look forward to reading it...
    Have at it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •