Thread: CNTTS Vs Reuben Swanson apparatus

Default CNTTS Vs Reuben Swanson apparatus

I found some differences between CNTTS Vs Swanson.

Anyone can explain me why there are these differences?
    Inscriptio

CNTTS

kata markon a B F MT >En> according to Mark (NIV-TNIV-NLT-NET) >It> secondo Marco
    euaggelion kata markon A E H K L M S U W Y D Q P W 1 2 13 28 33 124 346 565 700 1424 *113a b c f ff2 q >En> gospel according to Mark (NKJV-RSV-NRSV-ESV-NASB-NEB-NJB-NAB-HCSB)
    >It> buona notizia secondo Marco
    euaggelion kata marikon 788 >En>
    euaggelion kat markon D >En>
    euaggelion to kata markon Gsup >En> gospel according to Mark >It> buona notizia secondo Marco
    ek tou kata markon euaggeliou 69 >En>
    arch tou kata ton markon euaggeliou 118 >En> [the] beginning of the gospel according to Mark >It> inizio della buona notizia secondo Marco
    to kata markon agion euaggelion ** 579 TR >En> the holy gospel according to Mark (the gospel according to saint Mark - KJV) >It> il santo vangelo (buona notizia) secondo Marco
    euaggelion ek tou kata markon 1071 >En>
    to kata markon euaggelion 1582 >En> the gospel according to Mark >It> la buona notizia secondo Marco

Notes CNTTS omit:
    * 2427 (NA)
    ** 209 (NA)

Reuben Swanson inscriptio

tou kata markon euaggeliou ai perocai A K
    tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefal Gsup 1 2 28
    tou kata markon euaggeliou kefalea H
    tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefalaia K S D P 124 565 788 1424
    tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefalea M W
    ek tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefal 13
    ek tou kata markon agion euaggeliou ta kefalaia 69
    kefalaia tou kata markon euaggeliou 157 700
    ta ek tou markon eua kefalaia 1071
    ek t kata markon eua ta kefalaia 1346
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by pasquale View Post
    I found some differences between CNTTS Vs Swanson.

Anyone can explain me why there are these differences?...
    They could be --

1) Errors in Swanson
    2) Errors in CNTTS
    3) A different interpretation of the correct reading in the manuscript

Here is an image of codex G = Codex Seidelianus.
    Noting the abbreviation for euaggelion, it is clear that CNTTS is correct and Swanson is wrong.
    Don't know about the rest (though many of the Swanson readings do look odd...), but at least in this instance go with CNTSS.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

I certainly could not account for every single issue with Swanson, but others have said that he does make enough mistakes to question his level of accuracy. It's one of the reasons CNTTS didn't just take his work, but went through it and did their own work in addition.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I certainly could not account for every single issue with Swanson, but others have said that he does make enough mistakes to question his level of accuracy. It's one of the reasons CNTTS didn't just take his work, but went through it and did their own work in addition.
    An errata list of Swanson has been posted somewhere, and I probably have it somewhere on my computer, but at the moment I can't recall where it's posted or where it might be on my computer.

However, the number of errors in NA/UBS and the selective citations in NA/UBS FAR EXCEEDS Swanson, and probably CNTTS as well.

Regardless, it is safe to say that anyone who is going to publish anything based on citations in a manuscript(s) needs to PERSONALLY inspect that manuscript(s) for himself now that they are available online, because it is absolutely certain that any apparartus out there is going to contain errors, and thus the only wise way to put your name on something is to examine the primary source itself. Then, if there is an error, it's your error instead of somebody else's.

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Here is an image of codex G = Codex Seidelianus.
    Noting the abbreviation for euaggelion, it is clear that CNTTS is correct and Swanson is wrong.
    Don't know about the rest (though many of the Swanson readings do look odd...), but at least in this instance go with CNTSS.
    So the sideways-headed body with the 'a' inside is an abbreviation for euangelion? Sorry to bother you, I just couldn't figure out how else to describe the figure fronting to kata markon. Thank you for your time!
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout

Quote Originally Posted by brainout View Post
    So the sideways-headed body with the 'a' inside is an abbreviation for euangelion? Sorry to bother you, I just couldn't figure out how else to describe the figure fronting to kata markon. Thank you for your time!
    Yes. Look at the third word in the text which is ευαγγελιον. That way of writing the epsilon is used throughout the text (but not consistently) for ευ and εγ.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Yes. Look at the third word in the text which is ευαγγελιον. That way of writing the epsilon is used throughout the text (but not consistently) for ευ and εγ.
    Thank you. I see that now. The script and abbreviations. I will have to become familiar with them! Thank you again!
    'brainouty' on Youtube and , http://www.vimeo.com/brainout