Thread: Constructing an ASE search

Default Constructing an ASE search

I have been trying to construct a search and the help is not helping me on this one, or at least I don't understand it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is the search: I want to find all verses with "anger" or "angry" but not where "Lord" or "God" appears within three words (e.g. "anger of the Lord"). In other words, I want all the references to the anger of man without getting the anger of God.

Default Give a man a fish and he eats once; teach him how to fish and he'll never starve...

Best thing to do is to learn from the videos, manual and checking out the BW6 examples to see how they work. You can also write a command on the command line and click on the button for ASE query to import the command line to the ASE to see how it works. There's a few other threads throughout this forum regarding ASE queries that i suggest reading through. Here's a few more examples here...

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182

ASE really is an invaluable tool that should be learned well.

You can also press F1 over the command line and scroll down until you find "Command Line Examples." Clicking on that will take you to many examples. Your query above may not really need to be an ASE query, though, if you learn ASE, i think you'll find it easier to do.

blessings!

I've attached two english queries that will give you a first cut at what you want. As with all BW searches, human inspection and judgment is needed to tweak and interpret the results.

The first query finds all verses were some form of anger ("anger*", "angry", "wrath*", etc.) is within five words of "Lord" or "God". If the verse contains the word "man" or "men" the verse is eliminated. Note that this is probably too strict. It will not allow for verses that directly speak of God's wrath against man, should the word "man" appear in such a verse. Note also that this will not find all verses in which God's wrath is mentioned. For instances, verses which say "My wrath...." or "his wrath..." will not be captured by this search.

The second query is the same as the first query, with the man/men restriction removed.

Hope the example helps.

Michael
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MTan; 09-14-2004 at 01:21 PM.

I tried to open the .gf file but it tells me it was built with a more recent edition and I need an update. When I checked the update last night, it said i was current except for the luther Bible and halot (both of which I don't use). I am using BW5. What update do I need to view this? And where can I get it from? I don't see anything on the website about it.

Those were made with BW6. I've remade them in BW5, and they should now work for you.

Thanks a bunch. That was helpful.