Problem with "1Sa 26:19"
BW8 is running on Widows XP Professional Service Pack 3, and I am experiencing a problem with a particular verse reference.
Is something wrong with “1Sa 26 19”? In Single Version Browse Mode, everything is normal with “1Sa 26 19.” But in Multiple Version Mode, I cannot refer to “1Sa 26 19” at all. Every time I enter “1Sa 26 19” on the command line, or set the book, chapter, and verse reference at the top of display window to “1Sa 26:19,” “Shutdown” window pops up and I have start all over.
Do you have the same problem?
I am running the same operating system, etc - and everything is fine for me.
Yaku, I have the same operating system also, and all works fine for me too. For argument sake, what is your current search version?
Originally Posted by Yaku Lee
Yes, I tried with various search versions: KJV, ASV, RSV, NRS, NAU, WTT, WTM, and even DBY with the same frustrating results. Then I remembered the “magic bullet” for any of the unexpected problems. I deleted “bw800.ini,” not any of those “….bw800lg.ini” files, and restarted BW to find the initial problem gone.
While rebuilding BW in the way I like it, I encountered the “Shutdown” problem in a different manner. Every time I click on Japanese versions JAS or KOG to be included in my display versions from [View] [Choose Display Version(s)], the “Shutdown” window pops up immediately.
I update BW8 regularly. I applied a vaccine program to BW8 folder and I took every precaution I could think of with no avail. Obviously something is is not right. I have no idea what has crept in to cause this new trouble. Perhaps I should go back to an earlier recovery point using my system recovery program.
Thank you both for your help.
You're welcome, Yaku. But allow me to ask you if you've had problems any other software applications and programs recently. If BW8 is the only source of trouble, I, myself, probably wouldn't run the Windows system recovery utility. Though an interesting concept in theory, generally, I haven't had the desired results whenever I've run System Recover. It never seems to work very well in practice. For what it's worth, I would probably try to contact Technical Support. There is definitely something wrong with your installation. I hope an easy and quick resolution can be found for you.
I have had no other problem at all until this BW8 “Shutdown” trouble.
I already ran the system recovery utility by a private vendor and I went back to the recovery point of June 2, 2010, and I was frustrated to find I had the original problem all along. I only didn’t notice it. I am hesitant to go back to an earlier recovery point of September 18, 2009 because of other things involved. Since I now know that this problem is mine only, perhaps the best solution is to reinstall BW8 and start it all over. If I still have the same problem, I will then report it to BW. It was really nice to hear from you.
I can confirm that BW crashes when JAS and KOG are display versions and I type 1Sa 26 19 on the command line. I just let the operating system close down BW. I'll play around with it a while to see which of the versions is the culprit.
If I first go to 1Sa 26:19 then try to add either JAS or KOG BibleWorks crashes.
Next I switched the search version to JAS (at 1Sa 26:1) and put it in single version mode. I scrolled down, but when it should have gone past 1Sa 26:18, again BW crashes.
Next I switched back to multi-version mode and went to 1Sa 26:20. Then I used the arrow to move to 1Sa 26:19 and BW crashed again. So, it appears that the problem is with just 1Sa 26:19 in both JAS and KOG versions.
So don't do anything drastic like reinstalling BibleWorks.
But in general, before you even think of reinstalling BW8, have you tried simply rebooting your computer?
If so (and it doesn't help), try re-initializing the BW800.ini instead of going back to a previous BW800.ini file. But first, if there are some parts of the BW800.ini file which you do not want to do over, first re-name and save the current BW800.ini file. Then after BW reboots, if you do not have the problem, you can close BW again, open your new BW800.ini file and your re-named BW800.ini file and compare them. You can copy lines (such as versionorder or favorites) of the renamed file to your BW800.ini file, save the changes, and restart BW. I have had problems a number of times in the past, and often it is just a few lines of the BW800.ini file which cause the problem.
If you uninstall BW and reinstall it, when it uninstalls it will leave all your user-created files. If you reinstall into the same directory, if one of those user files is causing the problem, the problem will still be there. If you re-name the BibleWorks8 folder before re-installing, then you can copy your user-edited files back into the new BibleWorks8 folder one by one, but it takes a lot of time.
May God minimized your software problems, so you can get back to studying His Word.
Last edited by Mark Eddy; 08-03-2010 at 12:02 AM.
The same problem occurs with my BW
The same problem is happening with my BW 8.
When I put 1Sa 26 19, the system crashes. When I put other verses, the text appears properly in the display panel.
It appears,as Eddy has told, that Japanese translations are causing trouble to the system.
Sounds like someone should report this to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sounds like a glitch with the two aforementioned versions/databases.
Japanese Version Problem
We apologize for the problem. After spending most of the day on it we finally found the culprit (a static buffer overflow). After doing a little more testing we'll post the fix. Look for executable 8.0.18a or later, probably later tonight or early tomorrow.