Thread: Reference Systems for Josephus

Hybrid View

Post Reference Systems for Josephus

The BibleWorks Josephus modules use the Loeb Classical Library reference system for Josephus. However, you may at time run across references to Josephus using the reference system in Whiston's English translation. I have attached a zip folder containing notes files for Josephus that coordinate these two reference systems for easy cross referencing. Simply unzip the files to your bibleworks8\notes directory.

Andrew Steinmann
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you, Andrew! That is very helpful. Great idea incorporating the cross-numbering in the chapter note file.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thumbs up Great idea of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Steinmann View Post
    Loeb cf. Whiston.... notes files for Josephus that coordinate these two reference systems for easy cross referencing
    Great idea; I'll use that often, because I frequently follow a house editing style requiring Whiston's numbering. This solution makes it a snap to provide that--or both.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Steinmann View Post
    The BibleWorks Josephus modules use the Loeb Classical Library reference system for Josephus. However, you may at time run across references to Josephus using the reference system in Whiston's English translation. I have attached a zip folder containing notes files for Josephus that coordinate these two reference systems for easy cross referencing. Simply unzip the files to your bibleworks8\notes directory.

Andrew Steinmann
    Hi there Andrew. Do you mind if I post this to the unofficial BibleWorks blog?

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    Hi there Andrew. Do you mind if I post this to the unofficial BibleWorks blog?

~Jim
    Not at all. I'm sure others will find it useful.

Andy

You've been blogged.
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Two corrections to the Josephus notes file

When I went to look up a reference to Life of Flavius Josephus I discovered that only the first half of the Whiston-Loeb cross-references were in the chapter note. Attached is a file with the second half. To use it, unzip and copy it into the bottom of Lif1.bww in you notes folder. (I zipped it because the forum manager won't accept .bww or .rtf attachments)

Also, Ant 6 has a typo; the last line of the note should be
    "6:378 6:14:9"
    instead of
    "6:338 6:14:9"

On a related matter, for the last few verses of both Ant 17 and Ant 19 JOE and JOS are out of sync, with a different number of verses. As near as I can tell, as a non-Greek-reader, the versification in JOE is a bit off.

One last Josephus comment:
    I was surprised to see in BW9 help "6 What's New in BibleWorks 9", under "New Bible Versions":
    "22. Loeb Classical Edition versification for Josephus"
    I exported JOE from both BW7 and BW9 and compared them with Kdiff3; they compared equal.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    One last Josephus comment:
    I was surprised to see in BW9 help "6 What's New in BibleWorks 9", under "New Bible Versions":
    "22. Loeb Classical Edition versification for Josephus"
    I exported JOE from both BW7 and BW9 and compared them with Kdiff3; they compared equal.
    Near as I can tell, what the BW people meant is that BW9 ships with an HTML file that charts the comparison between the two versification schemes. In the menu system it's under Resources | Backgrounds | Key to Reference Systems for Josephus. So I think you are correct that there was no change to the Josephus versions themselves. Theoretically, I suppose they could have added a complete second set of Josephus files whose content was identical but that was divided into the different versification. Then there would be one version following the Whiston scheme and one following the Loeb scheme.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!