Thread: Multiple Texts Search

Default Multiple Texts Search

Please, forgive me if this is basic to some of you. I use BibleWorks a lot in my studies, but there are a few aspects that I do not use often. And the lack of use causes me to forget how to do something!

I want to search the NT for the English word 'ANOTHER', but I want my results to show me all which are not Greek word 'ALLOS'.

How is this done?

.. and thank you ahead of time!

Try the following GSE and see if that is what you are looking for.

Name:  2010-06-14_155337.png
Views: 89
Size:  5.5 KB

Excellent!

Question...

I am trying to understand the logic here. Why this second AND box?
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  22.7 KB

In this example you don't need the extra box, but when BW first came out with the GSE, then known as the ASE, you sometimes had to add an extra box when comparing different versions, but now you don't in some cases. It's a bit fuzzy to me to remember when you need an extra box and when you don't, but if you ever find a search that doesn't work the way you want with multiple versions, try adding an extra box and see if that fixes the problem.

O.k.,

Thanks Scott.

But remember that the search which Scott suggested will yield some false negatives. In other words, the list you come up with will be missing some verses where "another" and ALLOS are in the same verse, but "another" actually translates a different Greek word from ALLOS. For example, in 1 Cor. 12:9-10 NAU translates both ALLOS and HETEROS as "another." In your search, since ALLOS is in the verse, the verse will not show up in your list. BW does not "know" which word "another" is translating. It only "knows" which words are in which verse. If you really need the full list of verses where "another" translates something other than ALLOS, you would have to use the verse list manager. First search for all instances of "another," and then go through the list and exclude the verses in which "another" translates only ALLOS. This takes a lot more time, but if you need to be precise, there is no other way (yet).
    Mark Eddy

Thanks Mark, I hadn't thought of that.

I actually was going to tell you in my first post in this thread about the results that Mark mentioned, but I forgot.

However, I won't forget this --

You can narrow down the results that you have to load into the WLM by taking several quick steps --

Elininate all verses that do NOT show up in the GSE query. IOW, those verses that don't have allos anywhere in them, but which DO have another, so you do not have to load them into the WLM in order to separate out the words that DO have allos in them, but which are not a match for another in that particular verse.

To be clearer, you would in other words limit your search to the NT, then you would do a CL search on another. You would import ALL of those verses into the left pane of the VLM.

Next, you would run the GSE query, and then import ALL of those verses into the right pane of the VLM.

Now, from WITHIN the VLM, you would choose Select Verses Not Common To Both Lists and then delete those selected verses in the left pane.

Now you import the remaining verses into the WLM and you will have narrowed your list down to a smaller size so that you do not have to go through as much material when you go word by word in the WLM.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 06-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.