Thread: Find and export verb information for selected passage

Default Find and export verb information for selected passage

How do I create and export the basic information about all verbs occurring in a passage. Ideally I would like to include the lemma, the actual form of the verb in the passage, and a brief definition/gloss of the word (like in the popup word tips). It would also be nice if it could include usage data such as how many times used in NT or NT/LXX for Greek words. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help!

In Christ,

Bret Hicks

Tools | Importing/exporting information | Report Generator

Default Find and export verb information for selected passage

Scott,

I have tried that but can not get what I am looking for. It seems to simply export the verses, but not the things I want. I would like it to give me just the verbs, the parsing, and a brief gloss. It there a way to get it to do that?

In Christ,

Bret

Bret,

I have never employed the filter(s) on the top right of the RG, but if you open the RG and press F1 it will open the help file to tell you how to use the filters. I don't know this to be true, but I would imagine that you could filter out everything but verbs.

As for the rest, if you select TWOT as your lexicon, WTT as your only version in both version boxes, and then check only "Include Lexicon Entries" and "Include Morphological Analysis" and "Display Briefer TWOT Entrie" then this should be pretty close to what you want.

The "glosses" in some cases may be a little longer than you want, but I think that is as close as you can get.

Maybe somebody can give more insight.

I just played with the filter. If you do this in the second filter box --

[v]*

This will give you only verbs in the morph analysis and the lexicons. This is about as close as you can get as far as I know.

Scott,

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I am missing something, but the report generator does not seem to do what I want, at least in the Greek. I am trying to get a list of all verbs - and only the verbs - with their morphological info and a brief gloss. It would look something like this for 1 Peter 1:22

1 Peter 1:22
    ἡγνικότες ; vpxanmp; to purify, cleanse from defilement

ἀγαπήσατε ; vdaa2p; to love

This is all the information I would want - I don't want the whole verse, or a list with all the nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc. - just the verbs. Is there a way to do this?

In Christ,

Bret

This is what I get for 1 Peter 1:22 --

ἡγνικότες ἁγνίζω - vpxanmp (verb participle perfect active nominative masculine plural)
    ἀγαπήσατε ἀγαπάω - vdaa2p (verb imperative aorist active 2nd person plural)
    UBS Greek Dictionary:
    ἀγαπάω love (primarily of Christian love); show or prove one's love; long for, desire, place first in one's affections
    ἁγνίζω purify, cleanse

1. I have SCR as my version. That is the ONLY version I have for the three version boxes.

2. In the "Morph Code Include Filter" (the second filter box), I have [v]*

3. I have ONLY the "Include Lexicon Entries" and "Include Morphological Analysis" boxes checked.

4. I have ONLY the UBS Lexicon selected because I think that probably offers the shortest entries.

Although there is no way (that I am aware of) to get a simple gloss, as you can see my report above only returns the verbs, so it's pretty close to what you want if I understand you correctly.

Scott,

That is indeed very close to what I am looking for in the report. I will play with a few more settings, but this is good enough as is. Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

In Christ,

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by brethicks View Post
    Scott,

That is indeed very close to what I am looking for in the report. I will play with a few more settings, but this is good enough as is. Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

In Christ,

Bret
    No sweat. Anytime.

FWIW, if the BW staff reads this, I think it would be nice to have the option to choose the glosses in the RG, just as we have the option to choose different lexicons now. IOW, if we had the option to choose the glosses, for example, that come up in the Word Tips, that would be pretty neat. It could be another option just like one of the lexicons.