Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ancient Near East Studies?

Default I'm curious

וְאָהַבְתָּ אֵת יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ בְּכָל־לְבָבְךָ This is a paste, using chrome.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I'm using IE 8 on XP. I think lava lamps will be back en vogue before the unicode issue ever gets solved.
    Lava Lamps are out of vogue?
    Often wrong, never in doubt

Quote Originally Posted by mtp1032 View Post
    Lava Lamps are out of vogue?
    Well, yes... everywhere except Mississippi, that is.

Skip, your Hebrew looks fine on my setup, IE 8, XP.

Default Looks perfect to me ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
    I just opened this page in Firefox, IE and Chrome.... In all of them, in Dale's signature, a vowel comes after and not under a doubled consonant.
    And in my own browser it all looks perfect, including the holem after the dotted sin of la'asot. I think it goes to show that Scott's worries about Unicode not being quite ready for prime time have some basis in what we're seeing.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default not quite ready for prime time.

Unicode is a lot closer than we used to be. I remember my Epson MX-80: you could load user defined fonts. It was radical to be able to include Greek and Hebrew printed not hand written, in the actual text of a paper. Now we're quibbling over vowel placement, on the Internet.

The text in my previous post, was a straight copy and paste from BibleWorks, I just enlarged the text size. Very straight forward.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Well apart from the digression about Unicode font issues (which is interesting nonetheless), it seems we only had a couple answers to the original topic question. Thanks Scott and Dale! Any other ideas? I think it's interesting that Abraham's father, for example, was a Sumerian priest, and I wonder how that might have affected Abraham's sense of calling... Moreover, the Torah states that until Abraham arrived in Canaan, the ancestors of Israel "served other gods" (Josh. 24:2), and these “gods” were part of ancient Near East mythology that derived from ancient Babel in the land of Shinar (Gen. 10:10). Hence we see Rachel stealing her father’s idols (i.e., “teraphim,” תְּרָפִים) before fleeing Haran (Gen. 31:19), and we see Jacob later commanding his family to “put away the foreign gods among you” (Gen. 35:2). It’s clear, then, that the influence of this ancient religious system extended long before the captivity of the Jews under Nebuchadnezzar II in the 6th century BC.

Shalom
    Last edited by John Parsons; 06-15-2010 at 04:40 AM.
    xyvmh [wvy ~vb ~wlv
    www.hebrew4christians.com

This topic is bumped here
    xyvmh [wvy ~vb ~wlv

Quote Originally Posted by John Parsons View Post
    I am looking for some background information on the Ancient Near East during the time of Abraham (and earlier). I am also interested in ancient Egypt. Does anyone recommend a resource on this subject they have personally found helpful? Ideally I would like a popular - yet accurate - introduction to these ancient cultures.

Thanks for any help you might give!

- John
    Don't you just hate it when your original post gets hijacked? Guess that's just the nature of forums... Anyway there's a book by JJM Roberts you might be interested in titled The Bible and the Ancient Near East. I think you will find it of some value.

James

Thanks James... It's good not to be overlooked! I will chase down the title you recommended.
    xyvmh [wvy ~vb ~wlv

Quote Originally Posted by John Parsons View Post
    I am looking for some background information on the Ancient Near East during the time of Abraham (and earlier). I am also interested in ancient Egypt. Does anyone recommend a resource on this subject they have personally found helpful? Ideally I would like a popular - yet accurate - introduction to these ancient cultures.

Thanks for any help you might give!

- John
    How about:
    John H. Walton The Lost World of Genesis One. IVP Academic. 2009
    John H. Walton Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament. Baker Academic. 2006.