Thread: Boot Time

Default Boot Time

I installed all the Bibles that came with BW8. Hence I have a bunch of bibles in languages that I rarely if ever use.... HD space isn't an issue for me, so why not have a lithuanian bible, right?

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has experimented to see how the number of bibles installed affects boot time. BW8 takes about 10 seconds to load on my computer with all the bibles installed--which isnt horrible, but I just wonder how much better it would perform if I shed my Catalan and Slavonic Bibles

Quote Originally Posted by jcoat View Post
    I installed all the Bibles that came with BW8. Hence I have a bunch of bibles in languages that I rarely if ever use.... HD space isn't an issue for me, so why not have a lithuanian bible, right?

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has experimented to see how the number of bibles installed affects boot time. BW8 takes about 10 seconds to load on my computer with all the bibles installed--which isnt horrible, but I just wonder how much better it would perform if I shed my Catalan and Slavonic Bibles
    It really depends on a number of variables, but in general, having fewer versions will boost your start-up time. The initial start up for BibleWorks from a cold boot is always the longest. Once you have started BibleWorks and haven't reset your computer, the start up time should be shorter.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by jcoat View Post

I don't think you're going to shave off all that much time if you begin to remove bibles. We're probably talking milliseconds per bible version, if that! I'd say if there's a chance you might use a bible version at one time or another, you're better off having it loaded. For example, yesterday BW posted a new Polish NT. While I rarely have opportunity to interact with people of Polish extraction, there are times nonetheless. I was just in Poland for the first time in my life this past May. And I definitely want to go back. So, I would say keep your rarely used bibles loaded. The boot time you'd gain by removing them is minimal.