Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: typing Greek & Hebrew on this forum or anywhere else online...

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    ...I've got DavkaWriter Platinum 6. I don't think it's always had the ability to export as Unicode...What version do you have...
    I have a license for version 6, and as far as I know version 6 has always had the ability to save, export, and cut and past to unicode. In fact unicode was one of their selling points.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Hey Brian,

In DavkaWriter, one of the choices under 'Edit' - 'Copying is for' is for e-mail. When would I ever use that? Wouldn't Unicode work just as well for e-mail?

Wouldn't Unicode work just as well for e-mail?
    Sure, but only if the recipient of your e-mail has unicode Hebrew fonts installed on his/her/their computer. To make matters more complicated, not all unicode Hebrew font/format is the same.

Take for example SBL set, it has some special characters for accents and marks that other simple unicode fonts used for modern Hebrew, might not have in their set.

Things can get even more messy if you are dealing with HTML and using Hebrew fonts(rather embedding them into the document). If are sure that your recipient has Windows XP or higher then it is more likely that they will have unicode Hebrew installed on their system, but if not there maybe some hurdles to over come.

Also, some people simply do not enjoy or like to compose their messages in an E-mail editor. For, those individuals DavkaWriter 6 provides an easy way to craft messages in it's Word processor without having to do so else where.
    Brian K. Mitchell

Dachau was very definitely a death camp. You could still see the forms of the bodies burned into the ovens. There was also a macabre entrance to the ovens. That is, there was a very nicely manicured garden pathway through a little idyllic stretch of nature before reaching the ovens, which made the victims think they were going to a nice place.

There was also a little plaque in the garden, written in German, which stated, "Tell them how we died here."

Yes, Dachau is in Germany, just outside of Munich, and to Germany's credit, they have done an outstanding job of maintaning it.

With regard to your thanking me in Hebrew --

על לא דבר
    Last edited by Adelphos; 06-04-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Dachau was very definitely a death camp. You could still see the forms of the bodies burned into the ovens. There was also a macabre entrance to the ovens. That is, there was a very nicely manicured garden pathway through a little idyllic stretch before reaching the ovens, which made the victims think they were going to a nice place.

There was also a little plaque in the garden, written in German, which stated, "Tell them how we died here."

Yes, Dachau is in Germany, just outside of Munich, and to the German's credit, they have done an outstanding job of maintaning it.

With regard to your thanking me in Hebrew --

על לא דבר
    Thanks. Wikipedia actually states that there is no evidence that people died at Dachau from reasons other than starvation, disease, shooting etc. But then, later in the article, they furnish a picture of the gas chamber there. Go figure!

We were told by our guide that people being led to the gas chamber were told to remember where they left their clothes before entering the chamber so that they could claim the same after exiting the chamber (which they were led to believe were showers). Of course, the Nazis knew full well that their victims would never again need their clothes. Admittedly, the Nazis wanted to prevent widespread revolt and pandemonium; for that reason, they gave their victims the impression that they would emerge from the chamber alive, that it was no more than a shower, and that they would need their clothes again. Nevertheless, there is something very cruel and macabre about their methods. They were absolutely clean, scientific, and calculated about their killing. Nothing less that demonic. Another cruel fact is that the Nazis actually made their victims pay their train fare before herding them onto the cattle car transports, where they couldn't even sit once inside since they were packed wall-to-wall with humanity.

Thanks. Wikipedia actually states that there is no evidence that people died at Dachau from reasons other than starvation, disease, shooting etc. But then, later in the article, they furnish a picture of the gas chamber there. Go figure!
    That's because the people there in the town of Dachau are still extremely sensitive to the issue. If you go to Dachau, you will notice that the camp is so much a part of the town itself that it would be impossible to not know that nefarious things were going on there, and yet that is what the townspeople maintained. They do have a point to a degree, because to inquire would have probably gotten them shot, or imprisoned themselves.

And it was the U. S. Army, not the Russians or Brits, who liberated Dachau, and although it's been quite awhile since I read up on it, the Americans who liberated the camp were utterly disgusted with what they found.

Having spent the whole day there, and having seen every inch of it (even though the barrackes were actually rebuilt models of the originals), and having thus got the feel for it, there isn't a doubt in my mind that people were executed at Dachau as at Auschwitz.

Either way, what's the difference between poising a person or just flat letting them starve to death intentionally and then incinerating their corpse?

Answer: none.

And of course, the adage has since then been "never forget", but that is exactly what's happening -- i.e., by and large the world is forgetting -- because the incipent stage of the phychological holocaust against the Jews that began in 1930's Germany is already repeating itself today against Israel every bit as menacingly as it did in 1930's Germany, and just like then, how few can actually recognize it for what it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    And of course, the adage has since then been "never forget", but that is exactly what's happening -- i.e., by and large the world is forgetting -- because the incipent stage of the phychological holocaust against the Jews that began in 1930's Germany is already repeating itself today against Israel every bit as menacingly as it did in 1930's Germany, and just like then, how few can actually recognize it for what it already is.
    Sad, but very true. Rightly did Jeremiah prophesy of a future "time of Jacob's trouble."

Default Typing in Hebrew - Exhaustive Overview

Partly inspired by this thread, I have just finished an exhaustive (and exhausting) overview of all the ways I know of typing in Hebrew on a computer.

Typing in Hebrew
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Partly inspired by this thread, I have just finished an exhaustive (and exhausting) overview of all the ways I know of typing in Hebrew on a computer.

Typing in Hebrew
    Thanks Mark and all for your input. But, you know, the easiest solution to all this would be that Hebrew and Greek fonts would be made available to this forum like they used to be in the past. Prior to the implementation of the new Forums, Hebrew and Greek fonts were available from the drop down list of available fonts. That is no longer the case. Why? And why couldn't they just be added? That would be the simplest solution and simplest case scenario here.

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post

Typing in Hebrew
    As, always thank you for your effort, and desire to inform!

POST SCRIPT:
    There is one thing I think you should mention:
    The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.(Link)
    Brian K. Mitchell