Thread: typing Greek & Hebrew on this forum or anywhere else online...

Hybrid View

Default typing Greek & Hebrew on this forum or anywhere else online...

I noticed over at the "On Greek Text crit" thread that there has been some question about typing Greek and Hebrew on these forums (since the upgrade has dropped the ability to choose bwgrkl/bwhebb in the editor toolbar).

One thing that you can do to continue using bwgrkl and bwhebb, is to 'hand code' the font into your post. To do this you first need to change the editor you're using to type your forum post (do this by clicking the little icon to the upper-right of the editor box:
    Then enter the 'coding' for whatever text you'd like in the bwgrkl/bwhebb as follows (using [ ] rather than < >).
    Code:
    <FONT="bwhebb">hwhy</FONT> = hwhy
    <FONT="bwgrkl">kurioj</FONT> = kurioj
    Note: In the above example, I had to substitute [ ] for < > in order to show what the code looks like. In the forum site, ALWAYS use [ ].

An alternate way of doing things, handy for typing Greek/Hebrew Unicode on ANY website, is KeymanWeb. With KeymanWeb, you can create a bookmarklet for your web browser that creates a keyboard next to any text field that allows you to type (either with your mouse or on your keyboard) Unicode Greek and Hebrew.

I typed the text below using the KeymanWeb bookmarklet:

κυρίος / יהוה

The KeymanWeb bookmarklet is free, and is available from the Keyman website. You can even get a javascript that you can install on your own website that will enable any visitor to use the keyboard (limitations apply for free use).

Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Thanks for that link, Jim. It looks pretty interesting.

I have finally decided that if I want to type Hebrew in this forum, I just type it into Davka and then copy it with the Unicode option in Davka and it pastes perfectly into the box here, or anywhere else I've tried, for that matter.

With the Greek, I just use the BW Editor and then copy/paste that here as well.

Those methods are just easier for me. But as I said, the link you provided looks interesting. I played with for a few minutes, and now I'm going to go play with it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Thanks for that link, Jim. It looks pretty interesting.

I have finally decided that if I want to type Hebrew in this forum, I just type it into Davka and then copy it with the Unicode option in Davka and it pastes perfectly into the box here, or anywhere else I've tried, for that matter.

With the Greek, I just use the BW Editor and then copy/paste that here as well.

Those methods are just easier for me. But as I said, the link you provided looks interesting. I played with for a few minutes, and now I'm going to go play with it some more.
    Hey Scott, please tell me about the Unicode copy option in Davka. Is this something new? How do I use it? I've had DavkaWriter for years, but I have been under the impression that they've done very little with Unicode.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    ... I've had DavkaWriter for years, but I have been under the impression that they've done very little with Unicode.

I'm not Scott, but I'll give this one a shot...

Salzman If you have DavkaWriter Platinum 6 then you have some unicode options ready for use. Here is a short quote taken from their product website:

"DavkaWriter can now copy text as unicode (both plain UTF-16 unicode text, and rtf with unicode), and export to unicode formats (UTF-16 unicode text files, and rtf with unicode). This allows sharing formatted Hebrew text in many unicode-aware programs.
    " (link)

I usually don't do any importing or exporting of Hebrew with DavkaWriter, rather I simple copy the text in DavkaWriter and then paste it into E-mail or a post on the Bibleworks forum. It seems to automatically, past in unicode format at least in my installation it, does.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post

I'm not Scott, but I'll give this one a shot...

Salzman If you have DavkaWriter Platinum 6 then you have some unicode options ready for use. Here is a short quote taken from their product website:

"DavkaWriter can now copy text as unicode (both plain UTF-16 unicode text, and rtf with unicode), and export to unicode formats (UTF-16 unicode text files, and rtf with unicode). This allows sharing formatted Hebrew text in many unicode-aware programs.
    " (link)

I usually don't do any importing or exporting of Hebrew with DavkaWriter, rather I simple copy the text in DavkaWriter and then paste it into E-mail or a post on the Bibleworks forum. It seems to automatically, past in unicode format at least in my installation it, does.
    Thanks Brian. That must be new. I've got DavkaWriter Platinum 6. I don't think it's always had the ability to export as Unicode. Perhaps this capability came with a recent update? What version do you have, pray tell? (See 'Help' - 'About') Thanks.

Irving

Choose Edit | Copying Is For...

and then choose the Unicode option.

The Hebrew in my signature below is copied directly from DavkaWriter.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 06-03-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    ...I've got DavkaWriter Platinum 6. I don't think it's always had the ability to export as Unicode...What version do you have...
    I have a license for version 6, and as far as I know version 6 has always had the ability to save, export, and cut and past to unicode. In fact unicode was one of their selling points.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/