Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bibleworks vs. Logos vs. Accordance Interface

Hybrid View

Default Bibleworks vs. Logos vs. Accordance Interface

I have been contemplating purchasing Bibleworks or one of the other "big three" for several years now. I know the general strengths and weaknesses of each of them, and I think any of them would give me far more than what I currently have. Trying to decide which is best has been a big part of slowing me down from making a purchase, but I finally realize that I need to take the plunge one way or another. It seems for the combination of price, speed, search functions, and original language resources, Bibleworks is the way to go. However, one thing that really turns me off to Bibleworks is its interface. It looks nowhere near as user-friendly as the other two. I would like to hear from Bibleworks users who have thought similarly, at least initially. After using the interface for a long enough period I'm sure it gets better, but wouldn't you still prefer to look at and use the Logos or Accordance screens? I know that blogs have posted software comparisons ad nauseum, but I would like to hear what Bibleworks users have to say specifically about this apparent weakness. And any other advice you might have would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance.

I found the exact opposite. Ergo, the interface of Logos and Accordance seemed to me to be much less user friendly than BibleWorks.

That just goes to show the variety of users and their opinions.

In any case, the BibleWorks interface is really quite logically layed out, and once you get used to it I think you'll find that to be the case.

With regard to actualy Bible study, I wouldn't even begin to include Logos in the same categories as BibleWorks and Accordance. I don't think Logos has anywhere near the capabilities of these two.

Thus, it comes down to platforms. If you are going to be operating in a Windows environment, then BibleWorks is hands down the way to go.

Default "Type" of Interface

Interface is an interesting idea. I find that Bibleworks makes optimal use of every pixel on the screen....I think of it as a "dense" interface. What Logos and Accordance will do with several dialogues or nested menus BibleWorks tends to fit into a single very dense window. Take for example my favorite lexicon, Louw Nida. In BibleWorks, in a single window I get the domain listings, the domains possible for a particular lexeme, and the specific definitions for a lexeme in a particular semantic domain. I can get the same thing in Accordance, but by the time I set the window up to display all that information, it looks amazingly like BibleWorks. Generally, everything I can do in BibleWorks I can also do in Accordance. In BibleWorks I need to spend some time understanding command line syntax to be productive, but in Accordance the real "magic" tends to be buried under the search menu and various combinations therein.

It's subjective, but my feeling after using it for years is that Accordance and Logos simply don't show me as much information on a particular screen as BibleWorks. I think that density is good interface design, but I'm sure it looks different to someone who is just starting out. I'm amazed that after all the work that has gone into the graphic user interface design, we've seen the rebirth of the command line in utilities like Gnome Do, Launch Bar and Launchy. Sometimes the more productive interface isn't the most graphically appealing.

Just my 2 cents worth today.
    Rev. Clint Cozier, Ph.D.
    Pastor, Cherry Valley Church
    Caledonia, Michigan

I went ahead and took the plunge. I ordered BW 8 with the BDAG/HALOT add-on. I'll figure out how to work the thing eventually, even though it looks foreign to me. Thank you for your responses--they helped give me that last little "nudge."

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I went ahead and took the plunge. I ordered BW 8 with the BDAG/HALOT add-on. I'll figure out how to work the thing eventually, even though it looks foreign to me. Thank you for your responses--they helped give me that last little "nudge."
    Congratulations. And you already know where to ask if you need help, i.e., right here.

Welcome to the forums, Lee! And, most of all, to the wonderful world of BibleWorks!

As Adelphos said
    you already know where to ask if you need help, i.e., right here.

Default Welcome

Lee,

You'll have a great journey ahead of you. Be sure to work through the screen cams of various BibleWorks functions in the help system....those always inspire me to new ideas. Also, sign up for the classroom tips, they are always great. Here is the link:

BibleWorks Classroom Resources
    Rev. Clint Cozier, Ph.D.
    Pastor, Cherry Valley Church
    Caledonia, Michigan

Be patient with the learning curve (which all 3 programs have); the screen layout and interface will richly reward you - it's the cleanest, most uncluttered of all three. I can see so much more instant and composite info in Bibleworks than Logos or Accordance. Bibleworks is the one program that has consistently kept me from switching to Mac altogether. The number of versions and translations for the price is phenomenal in itself.

My top 5 hints to get started:

l niv = limit search to NIV
    . God = find all occurrences of God
    'Jesus said = find all occurrences with exactly "Jesus said", in that word order
    Esc = takes you back to the Command Line
    Shift as you move cursor = Allows you to move cursor to other screen areas without changing info
    (like the Results Window)

Best wishes!

Ingo

... It seems for the combination of price, speed, search functions, and original language resources, Bibleworks is the way to go. However, one thing that really turns me off to Bibleworks is its interface...I would like to hear what Bibleworks users have to say specifically about this apparent weakness. And any other advice you might have would be appreciated too!
    Thanks in advance.
    My advice is:
    (1) Get BibleWorks (and you did)
    (2) Load/boot up BibleWorks and look at it's interface
    (3) Click on "Veiw" scroll down and click on Show/Hide then de-check Toolbar and Analysis Window
    (4)Notice, the much simpler or less crowded interface you now have.
    (5)You may or may not be in favor of that arrangement, but you know now that it is possible to change BibleWorks. For example you can also have the analysis placed at the bottom of the browse window, change font size and color, and much more. So, take sometime to explore and play with BibleWorks many options.

BibleWorks is a highly configurable program, allows you to rearrange, and manipulate various aspects of it's interface. If you find that have two or more different arrangements you are fond of you can use the Enable configuration manager option to save these different arrangment under specific titles.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

I just got my BibleWorks DVD today, and I feel like a kid in a candy shop. It's going to take me a while to figure this all out, but I certainly appreciate the many tips you all have given me. I plan to give them all a try. Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to respond.