Thread: ELM and Logos

Default ELM and Logos

Alright, I am currently looking into purchasing a version of Logos, right now I just use the Libronix system with a few books that were not available on BW. However, my main software would still be BW which means it would be imperative for me to be able to link it using the ELM. I have read on the forums about it and it seems that with Logos 3 this wasn't a hard task but since 4 has come out there have been some issues. Have some of these issues been resolved?
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Default not yet...

The problems hooking in to Logos4 have not yet been resolved as far as I know. It is possible to run both Logos3 and Logos4 on one machine, and that's what I've been doing...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    The problems hooking in to Logos4 have not yet been resolved as far as I know. It is possible to run both Logos3 and Logos4 on one machine, and that's what I've been doing...
    Hey Mark, do you know if the problem is on the Logos end? And do you know if they are actively working to resolve the problem? Conversely, is it a BW problem? And is there something that BW can tweak on this end? That's a lot of questions, I know. Sorry for that. But grateful for any insight you have. I just want to know whose responsibility it is to get this working. Part of me wonders what, if any, incentive Logos would even feel to get their software working with the ELM in BibleWorks.

Default neither...

I don't think either BW or Logos has any particular interest in making their program interact with the other. They certainly don't want to be spending their time and resources doing so! That said, BW has been exemplary in the way they allow links out to other resources and links in from others.
    The real problem here is one of how resources are identified in each program, what abbreviations are used for biblical books, how locations in a specific resource are indicated, and how fonts are handled. (Logos does use Unicode throughout. BW still has its internal fonts with converters out to Unicode.) If someone had enough time, they could create little java scripts or some kind of macro to make it all work...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thank you for responding. I wish that I could help with this problem, but when it comes to computer literacy I put myself somewhere around the bottom, so I wouldn't have the first clue on how to create something to make this work. However, I can say that this will probably mean that I will not be purchasing Logos at this time. I have a few books on Libronix that I use very rarely and was hoping to expand usage with the ELM, but I guess it will have to wait. Thank you all again.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!