Thread: Using BW fonts on a website

Default Using BW fonts on a website

I would like to use BW fonts on my website and have been trying to use the free fonts that BW makes available, as directed. The problem seems to be that my pages are all UTF-8 Unicode, and the freely-available fonts are non-Unicode. This means that it will be impossible to use Bwhebl and Bwgrkl, for example from the free downloads zip file, and get correct results.

What can I do? Can I assume that Palatine Linotype is available on all Windows systems? This is the Unicode font that Greek is exported to. But Hebrew is exported to SBL Hebrew, which most likely is not available on standard Windows systems.

It seems that the free fonts capability doesn't work in the Unicode universe.

Suggestions?

Thank you,
    Henrik Lind

Actually, you really do want to use the Unicode fonts. If you use the BW fonts, a user will need to download/install those fonts for your text to be readable. If you use Unicode, a browser is smart enough to know what's going on, and if a machine doesn't have that particular Unicode font, it will substitute another one and the text will be fully legible. (Also note that both SBL Hebrew and SBL Greek are also free, downloadable fonts. For now, I still recommend Cardo [free at http://www.scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html ] since it includes all Greek and Hebrew in a single font set.)
    In BW, be sure to go into Tools > Options > Fonts > Export Fonts.
    Be sure the three checkboxes at the bottom are all checked.

I have more info here: http://www.gettysburgseminary.org/mh...ols1ASetup.htm
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default got Cardo

Thanks, I did download Cardo and installed it. Also, I made it the export font for both Greek and Hebrew. It does seem that the Hebrew vowel points have disappeared. Any idea what that would happen?

It should work without problem. (I just tried it on mine, and all is good.)
    a) Make sure the vowel pointing is visible in your browse window. (Use X to toggle vowels on/off)
    b) You have to turn on the accents (if you want those displayed/copied) in the Tools > Options > Flags > Hebrew Accents
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default vowel points are back

It's working now (the vowel points re-appeared). I don't know what happened, but am trusting that it's all good now.BW display and its exports look correct.

Thanks again for your help,
    Henrik

Default I'm also having trouble seeing Greek rendered as Greek in IE

My problem may have a variable that is actually the crux of the issue. Specifically, I'm using the great new offering on Windows Live that lets you view and edit Microsoft Office documents in a browser.
    The strange thing is that when I view a Word 2010 document with Greek text in the body of the document it renders as some kind of transliteration, i.e., it is not Greek. But when I edit the document in the browser, the Greek shows up properly. I think this is because the font "travels with" (not exactly embedded that I know of) the document and this info is retrieved when you do an edit, but when simply browsing, I think it treats the document like a regular web page.

Any ideas?

[Full disclosure: I work for the Redmond-based software (evil) giant]