Thread: List of Articles in Journals? (JBL, etc)

Default List of Articles in Journals? (JBL, etc)

I have been hunting down some way to get the table of contents for various journals. As I don't have easy access to an academic library so my time at the library is pretty thin and don't wish to spend it browsing through hundreds if tabke of contents of various periodicals to find material related to a research paper.

I was able to find a summary of articles for JBL (since 2003 or so--which the full journals can be obtained for free at the SBL website) as well as the Tyndale Bulletin. I would love to get complete table of contents for JBL and other journals to find additional related material.

I have the "Theological Journal Library" volume 5, although the browsing tools aren't great (and searches pull up every reference in the text, not just titles), not to mention reading the article titles is extremely valuable as you may be looking for stuff on the Holy Spirit and then have to hope you search every possible permutation (Holy Spirit, Spirt of God, Spirit of the Lord, Spirit of Jehovah, Spirit of Yahweh, Spirit of YHWH... and be brave enough to stomach "spirit" in general).

Recently published books, journal entries, and lexicons are a great way to access research with references to the most significant entries into a subject but I am finding that in the last 10-20 years a lot has been published on the topic I am researching and sometimes, when looking at something from a different angle, you find there are some oldies-but-goodies that are kind of bypassed in the debate, especially if they don't fit the current paradigms.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback you can offer

(As an aside, the BW8 resource summary is awesome!!)

How bout some of this action?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    How bout some of this action?
    How do you send hugs through fiberoptic cables? Thank you Michael. Would you happen to know if this is being "back dated" as well? Most of the Journals I sampled have 2008 and 2009 but nothing older. I am NOT complaining (!) as this is a great website and I appreciate the assistance Mr. Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Luna View Post
    How do you send hugs through fiberoptic cables? Thank you Michael. Would you happen to know if this is being "back dated" as well? Most of the Journals I sampled have 2008 and 2009 but nothing older. I am NOT complaining (!) as this is a great website and I appreciate the assistance Mr. Librarian
    I don't think they are making an effort to go backwards. My guess is that there are ways to find older scans like this, but I don't know. My other idea is that if you find a good theological library, there might be a chance that they also provide a service like this, but I don't know. I saw a link for this one about two years ago and emailed a theological library and said this was a great service and he said they already did something like that, but it was not really an advertised service.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

You could also try:

http://www.jstor.org/

If you are part of an affiliated University, access is free. I believe that you are also allowed to sign up as an independant scholar, but there is a charge.

If you are a member of the Society of Biblical Literature which publishes JBL you used to have free (but limited) access. I think that this is still the case, but don't quote me on it.

Your safest bet is to check your local University or Seminary to see what is available - but, as you mentioned, this is not convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    You could also try:

http://www.jstor.org/

If you are part of an affiliated University, access is free. I believe that you are also allowed to sign up as an independant scholar, but there is a charge.
    Jim,

Apparently JSTOR has eliminated the independent scholar subscription option, according to this statement from their link Options for Access to JSTOR:

Please be assured that we appreciate the interest of all those who would like access to the journals archived in JSTOR, not simply those affiliated with colleges and universities. While individual subscriptions to the entire JSTOR archive are not available at this time,....

They then describe all of the institutional options for accessing, none of which mention purchasing a subscription individually.

Bob
    Last edited by bobvenem; 02-17-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Jim,

Apparently JSTOR has eliminated the independent scholar subscription option, according to this statement from their link Options for Access to JSTOR:

Please be assured that we appreciate the interest of all those who would like access to the journals archived in JSTOR, not simply those affiliated with colleges and universities. While individual subscriptions to the entire JSTOR archive are not available at this time,....

They then describe all of the institutional options for accessing, none of which mention purchasing a subscription individually.

Bob
    Thanks for that. That is either a change - or I misunderstood. I had access through SBL, so it wasn't an issue.