Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Displaying Pericopes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1

    Question Displaying Pericopes

    How does one get BW8 to display the pericopes of any given Bible version?

  2. #2

    Default

    Define "pericope".
    Best wishes
    Wieland
    <><
    ------------------------------------------------
    Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
    Textcritical commentary:
    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by majorsurch4 View Post
    How does one get BW8 to display the pericopes of any given Bible version?
    Majorsurch4, I believe, by pericopes, you mean the in-text headings and outlined sections in the different bible versions. My understanding is that these are not provided in BibleWorks. BibleWorks does contain an outline of the Bible, but it has been prepared by an individual and it is designed to serve all bible versions. Unfortunately, the version-specific outlines and section headings are just not provided in and with BibleWorks. That, at least, is my understanding. If anyone has a different understand, they can chime in here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Actually there are at least 7 different groups of headings which can be displayed above the browse window, only 3 of which are in English. One is the NIV headings.
    You may wish to use the Synopsis Tool. A number of the synopsis files have the Bible divided into pericopes.
    Or, you may choose the browse window option "Show paragraph markers" in browse mode, and the text will be divided into paragraphs. If I remember correctly these paragraph markers were taken from the RSV and made to work with all Bible versions.
    I hope that one of these options is helpful for you.
    Mark Eddy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Actually there are at least 7 different groups of headings which can be displayed above the browse window, only 3 of which are in English. One is the NIV headings.

    Mark Eddy
    Mark, I don't think you're correct with that assertion. Can you furnish information as to where those "7 different groups of headings which can be displayed above the Browse Window" may be accessed and located within the program? Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Mark, I don't think you're correct with that assertion. Can you furnish information as to where those "7 different groups of headings which can be displayed above the Browse Window" may be accessed and located within the program? Thanks.
    Above the browse window, the Bible outline has a pulldown menu, immediately to the right is another down pointed arrow which, if you click it, will list the options of other Bible outlines.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Above the browse window, the Bible outline has a pulldown menu, immediately to the right is another down pointed arrow which, if you click it, will list the options of other Bible outlines.
    Michael, I stand corrected. Never saw that before. Do you know what the different outline options represent? I see the NIV. There is also something abbreviated A83. Is there some way to decipher what the different outline options are? Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Michael, I stand corrected. Never saw that before. Do you know what the different outline options represent? I see the NIV. There is also something abbreviated A83. Is there some way to decipher what the different outline options are? Thanks.
    I imagine it pairs with the Bible version "a83" which looks like it is some Afrikaans version. But you're right, there is no clear statement describing them that I can tell. I just open them and see what they look like they go with.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I imagine it pairs with the Bible version "a83" which looks like it is some Afrikaans version. But you're right, there is no clear statement describing them that I can tell. I just open them and see what they look like they go with.
    Thanks for the response, Michael. In so far as I can tell, there are only two English outline sets - those from the NIV and a generic set entitled 'Outline.' I believe I once got an e-mail from a BW staffer to the effect that the different bible publishers did not provide BW with electronic (i.e., digital) section headings. That's why they are lacking in the program. While I can certainly sympathize, Logos, on the other hand, does provide the pericope headings from the different bible versions. Personally, I find section headings helpful. But, alas, I recognize that Logos has a larger staff to work with and I suppose that they have the luxury of being able to input the version headings in-house.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Thanks for the response, Michael. In so far as I can tell, there are only two English outline sets - those from the NIV and a generic set entitled 'Outline.' I believe I once got an e-mail from a BW staffer to the effect that the different bible publishers did not provide BW with electronic (i.e., digital) section headings. That's why they are lacking in the program. While I can certainly sympathize, Logos, on the other hand, does provide the pericope headings from the different bible versions. Personally, I find section headings helpful. But, alas, I recognize that Logos has a larger staff to work with and I suppose that they have the luxury of being able to input the version headings in-house.
    The generic "outline" is referred to as (Bruce) Metzger's Bible Outline. So I believe it's the one that would be found in the Oxford Bible that he edited.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •