Thread: New World Translation for BW?

Hybrid View

Default New World Translation for BW?

I know that the powers that be (not BibleWorks powers that be but the other ones) would never allow it, but it would be good for BW to get the JW's New World Translation as another resource.

Some years ago I had a book detailing the translation of qeoj with "Jehovah" in the New Testament of the NWT. Unfortunately, it was bound poorly, fell apart, and in one of my moves I tossed it out. It is now out of print.

Such a resource - irrespective of what many may think of it's worth, value and accuracy as a translation - would enable us to carefully investigate claims that have been made, investigate the translation style, accuracy, bias, and, generally, help in the critical study of the Bible.

What do others think?

jimofbently,

My question and the answer given in this thread (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4437) directly relates to your inquiry. The issue is one of legality. How can one legally get a translation into BW? The answer is that one has to create their own personal version in the version database compiler. Once compiled, the file cannot be legally distributed, unless the copyright owner grants permission to do so. In the case of the NWT, it is quite unlikely that such permission will be granted by the Watch Tower Society. I too would love to have the NWT in BW for apologetic reasons, but I will have to do the hard work to get it into Bibleworks, and no one else can benefit from my work. I wish it were not this way, but am biblically compelled by Scripture to obey the laws of the land (cf. Romans 13:1-7).

Si

Thanks for the reply Si (and no rhyme intended - by the way, I never thought it would be "see")

Yes, I know that the major problem would not be with the people at BW, but with the JW leadership.

Still, it is a pity, for I could see it being useful.

There is a copy floating around if you're lucky enough to have it. I got it a couple of years ago and it appears to have been taken down on most sites since then. What's funny is they offer it for free on their own site even in epub format and you can get it on e-sword too. One would think they'd okay Bibleworks unless they had a reason not too. hmmmm

Default NWT on BW

Quote Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
    There is a copy floating around if you're lucky enough to have it. I got it a couple of years ago and it appears to have been taken down on most sites since then. What's funny is they offer it for free on their own site even in epub format and you can get it on e-sword too. One would think they'd okay Bibleworks unless they had a reason not too. hmmmm
    I have the NWT on BW from a bible versions file by Robin Song a few years back. Should I not use that file?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew short View Post
    I have the NWT on BW from a bible versions file by Robin Song a few years back. Should I not use that file?
    Use them, but don't distribute them. Fair use and personal use is a pretty grey line legally. But distributing them is generally not looked well upon.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!