Thread: Using BibleWorks to Create Your Own Interleaved Text

Hybrid View

Default Using BibleWorks to Create Your Own Interleaved Text

I kind of have my students work from English back to the Greek by laying out a range of English translations, comparing them, and using that comparison to go back and investigate what is going on in the Greek. I include a range of more literal (eg, NASB=NAU) to more dynamic (eg, NLT) translations. I include the KJV and NRSV and NET (to note any differences between NA27 and the Majority Text) and the DRA (for a glimpse of what may be going on in the Vulgate. It's difficult to set out the texts horizontally in BW, so I have them create an interleaved text in MSWord using the Popup copy box. (See the example below.)

If this would be helpful for anyone else to do, I've created a step-by-step procedure for setting up the parameters in the copy favorites dialogue. Download this PDF file for the directions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thanks for the tip. I can see this as being very useful.

Mark,

I noticed you had the Message (MSG) in your Interleaved screen shot. I assume you compiled this yourself since I do not believe BW has ever offered this translation. What is the best way to compile a Bible translation for BW. I know the version compiler requires a particular format (like "Mat 1:1"). Is there a easy way (quick way) to take a digital copy of a translation you own and reformat the references so that the version database compiler recognizes the verses? I know you could edit each individual verse, but this would take an enormous amount of time of you did the entire Bible. Thanks!

Si

Hi, Si! (Just had to say that..., sorry)

Legally, I cannot give it to you, and BibleWorks doesn't (yet?) have the rights to it. What I did was create my own user version of it. (It means going to a site like this:
    > then all the books have to be compiled into a single text file, then use macros to get text to look like this:

Gen 1:1 First this: God created the Heavens and Earth--all you see, all you don't see.
    Gen 1:2 Earth was a soup of nothingness, a bottomless emptiness, an inky blackness. God's Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss.
    Gen 1:3 God spoke: "Light!" And light appeared.

>>> then run it through the database compiler in BW.)

It's the kind of thing where legally I can make a personal copy, but I can't share it.

As an alternative, use the External Links Manager to get a right-click link to go to web versions of the Message. (Here is a page I use to help my students. http://www.gettysburgseminary.org/mh...ks/bwhelps.htm Cf. the web presentation of PDF handout. I also provide guides for linking to GNB and CEV.)

In the executable line, you want to enter:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=<book>+<chapter>:<verse>&version=MSG [make sure if you copy/paste that there are no blank spaces]

Now whenever you want to see the Message for a text just right click and it will bring you to the site.
    TLbwy!
    Mark
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Mark,

Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with the concepts of macros, but have never really used them. Could you elaborate on how you specifically use macros in editing the text to get the Bible references into the appropriate format? Do you edit each individual verse with a macro, or are you able to edit entire chapters at once? I have worked on a few different translations in the past, but edited the Bible references one verse at a time. It took a lot of time, and I was just wondering if there was a faster way to edit the references? Is there a way to use something like find and replace? I was just wondering if you had any specific tips or helpful programs that you use to compile Bible versions? Thank you very much for your time and help.

p.s. Back in High School, I blew my Spanish teacher's mind when she found out that Si was not pronounced si (see). My name is actually pronounced Si (sigh), as in Josiah, which is my full name. My native speaking Spanish teacher could never get over this. Thanks for the joke, it brought back memories.

The Message is a bit of a challenge, since the text is not strictly organized by verse. (Ie, note groups of verses into paragraphs.)
    Basically, get every verse as its own paragraph with the verse number at the beginning.
    Then do a find/ replace so that every line starts with Gen (or Exod or...).
    Then add chapter and colon which will take a little longer.
    I did mine a number of years ago, and I don't recall where I pulled the text, but you may find some edition of The Message on the web which lends itself to easier conversion.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

I am not very familiar with macros ...

few months back, I compiled a version in my mother tongue. I had some of my friends to get each verse begin with respective verse number. Then rest of the work was easier with 'emeditor'(http://www.emeditor.com/), a text editor which has the possibility of vertical selection and editing. So, I used to select the entire chapter, add relevant tag. That was the easiest solution so far I have encountered.

Emeditor can also create and handle macros. Since I was not very familiar with macros... I could not make the full use of it. If some one can really explain how to use macros to edit the text for compiling version, (in a simple language) that will help many...