Thread: Comparing texts

Default Comparing texts

By setting two different versions on “Text Comparison Settings” from “View the text,” “Tools,” I can compare two different versions. But how can I compare two different chapters of the same version, for example, 2Ki 18:3-20:11 with Isa 36:1-38:8? Or is it just out of the question to compare two different places of the same version? I can easily compare, word for word, Psa 60:11 with Psa 108:12, but it is rather involved to compare long texts.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, you cannot use the text comparison tool for different verses. The best way to compare those texts is to use the synopsis window. There is a pre-loaded synopsis file ot.sdf which has entries to compare 2Ki and Isa. It also has line to compare Psa 60 and 108. But you will have to "eye-ball" it instead of having BibleWorks highlight the differences. This is still a lot easier than doing it the old way (paging back and forth in a book).
    Mark Eddy

Thank you very much for your kind response, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    As far as I know, you cannot use the text comparison tool for different verses. The best way to compare those texts is to use the synopsis window. There is a pre-loaded synopsis file ot.sdf which has entries to compare 2Ki and Isa. It also has line to compare Psa 60 and 108. But you will have to "eye-ball" it instead of having BibleWorks highlight the differences. This is still a lot easier than doing it the old way (paging back and forth in a book).
    Mark Eddy
    Hey Mark, I think Yaku's suggestion would be a good one though. I think it would be nice to be able to compare parallel passages within the same versions. For example, there are some significant differences between the Davidic Covenant texts of 2 Sam 7 and 1 Chronicles 17. It would be nice to utilize the text comparison tool to highlight the differences. All of this to say: It might be nice to add this feature in the future. The same would hold true for parallel accounts in the Gospels.

Default If you want to badly enough...

With BibleWorks almost all things are possible, although not all those things are expedient.

A way to do this using the version compiler is:

1. Export the parallel passage you want to compare.
    2. Change the book name and verse numbers to the one you want to compare it to.
    3. Compile it as a user version with a new version name.
    4. When you compare them remember that NewVersion 2ki is actually Isa, and that the verse numbers in NewVersion are off.

For: You can now use the version compare facility; If you haven't yet used the compile version facility you now have an excuse to make the acquaintance of that fascinating, powerful, and infuriating critter.

Against: You will have spent more time than doing it manually in the synopsis facility; You will now have a user version floating around with the wrong book name/ verse numbers to confuse you next year when you do a search on all versions, and this anomaly pops up.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    With BibleWorks almost all things are possible, although not all those things are expedient.

A way to do this using the version compiler is:

1. Export the parallel passage you want to compare.
    2. Change the book name and verse numbers to the one you want to compare it to.
    3. Compile it as a user version with a new version name.
    4. When you compare them remember that NewVersion 2ki is actually Isa, and that the verse numbers in NewVersion are off.

For: You can now use the version compare facility; If you haven't yet used the compile version facility you now have an excuse to make the acquaintance of that fascinating, powerful, and infuriating critter.

Against: You will have spent more time than doing it manually in the synopsis facility; You will now have a user version floating around with the wrong book name/ verse numbers to confuse you next year when you do a search on all versions, and this anomaly pops up.

--Jim
    Hey Jim, thanks for your resourceful creativity in suggesting that method. But it won't cause me to retract my suggestion that the Comparison Tool be tweaked to be able to compare parallel passages within same versions in addition to comparing same passages in differing versions. I would think that it oughtn't to be too hard to add that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with BW, but I was hoping that BW would do all the complicated and daunting works for us. My thinking goes something like this: if I can compare two different versions, why can’t I compare two different parts of the same version? I suppose, as ISalzman suggests, BW can easily create a temporary file or something for the job and make us a lot easier.

Thank you very much, Jim, for your expert suggestions.
    Last edited by Yaku Lee; 02-24-2010 at 08:13 PM.

This thread goes back to my earlier requests for extensively enhancing the Synopsis Tool. If this were done, including adding color options to the ST, along with a button bar and other customizable options, the ST could really vault BW's capabilities even further, for the ST has TREMENDOUS potential...

...as I have been saying for a few years now.