Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Canucks Out There?

Have you heard???

In the past hour or so Medvedev and Putin are calling for the Russian Olympic Committee to resign, and for the Russian coach(es) to also be fired due to Russia's overall lack of performance thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Have you heard???

In the past hour or so Medvedev and Putin are calling for the Russian Olympic Committee to resign, and for the Russian coach(es) to also be fired due to Russia's overall lack of performance thus far.
    I hadn't heard that, but I'm not terribly surprised by it. Sport was very important for Russian self-image going back to the old Soviet days. It's comical and sad at the same time. Don't know if you read this but Evgeni Pleshenko, the silver medalist in the men's figure skating said that the American who beat him (Evan) is not a true champion. (He said that because the American didn't do a quadruple in his long program.)

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Don't know if you read this but Evgeni Pleshenko, the silver medalist in the men's figure skating said that the American who beat him (Evan) is not a true champion. (He said that because the American didn't do a quadruple in his long program.)
    Yeah, and I think EVERYONE who actually saw the two performances would agree that Lysacek (the USA skater) WON the gold, because as Scott Hamilton remarked, the rules are set before time and they include the WHOLE performance, not one jump.

Lysacek was extremely gracious about it in an interview about an hour ago. He's not only a class act on the ice, but off the ice as well.

Yeah, and I think EVERYONE who actually saw the two performances would agree that Lysacek (the USA skater) WON the gold, because as Scott Hamilton remarked, the rules are set before time and they include the WHOLE performance, not one jump.

Lysacek was extremely gracious about it in an interview about an hour ago. He's not only a class act on the ice, but off the ice as well.
    I don't agree with Pleshenko; I was only quoting him.

I think I heard awhile back that Scott Hamilton is a Christian. I believe the same is true of Nancy Kerrigan. Do you know if any of the above is true?

I don't agree with Pleshenko; I was only quoting him.

I think I heard awhile back that Scott Hamilton is a Christian. I believe the same is true of Nancy Kerrigan. Do you know if any of the above is true?
    No, I haven't heard that. Also, I didn't think you agree with Pleshenko; I knew you were only quoting him.

It's clear he's a classic prima donna who thinks he ought to get a gold medal just for showing up.

It's clear he's a classic prima donna who thinks he ought to get a gold medal just for showing up.
    Agreed. This is really making the news, by the way! Putin's comments were carried by the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. The whole Pleshenko vs. Lysachek controversy is big news.

There is an interesting article in today's New York Times about a family from New Jersey who have three children competing in this Olympics, but none of them for the U. S.

Two are competing for Japan. The third is competing for the Republic of Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/sp...0reeds.html?hp

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    There is an interesting article in today's New York Times about a family from New Jersey who have three children competing in this Olympics, but none of them for the U. S.

Two are competing for Japan. The third is competing for the Republic of Georgia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/sp...0reeds.html?hp
    Thanks Jim. They don't live too far from me.

I must admit, the Downhill and the Super G are my two favorite events at the Winter Olympics (although I like a lot of the other events too), and even though Bodie Miller (USA) took the bronze and the silver in the Downhill and Super G respectively this time, everything always seems to be anti-climatic since Franz Klammer's run in the Downhill at Innsbruch in 1976.

Anybody else ever see that one?

I hadn't heard that, but I'm not terribly surprised by it. Sport was very important for Russian self-image going back to the old Soviet days. It's comical and sad at the same time. Don't know if you read this but Evgeni Pleshenko, the silver medalist in the men's figure skating said that the American who beat him (Evan) is not a true champion. (He said that because the American didn't do a quadruple in his long program.)

It seems to me that tensions have been very high between the 2 countries since Rocky Balboa beat Ivan Drago in 15 rounds back in 1986! ("Hit the one in the middle!")

On a serious note, would anyone else like to have a English version of the LXX that links to one of the Greek lexicons. (Like some NT?) Or, is this an option with a version that I am not aware of?
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj souĊ

עשׁה שׁלום במרומיו הוא יעשׂה שׁלום עלינו ועל כל ישׂראל ואמרו אמן׃

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu