Thread: Any Canucks Out There?

Hybrid View

Default Any Canucks Out There?

The summer olympics is my favorite all-time event; the winter olympics is my second favorite.

So let's get the ball rolling...

I'll bet the Americanos beat the Canucks in the men and women's downhill. Any takers?

I ain't betting on the hockey, though. I think the Canucks might have that one iced.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    The summer olympics is my favorite all-time event; the winter olympics is my second favorite.

So let's get the ball rolling...

I'll bet the Americanos beat the Canucks in the men and women's downhill. Any takers?

I ain't betting on the hockey, though. I think the Canucks might have that one iced.
    The hockey should be a great, great tournament though. The difference separating the top six or seven hockey nations is not all that large any more. The thing about the Olympic tournament is that anything can happen in a one game encounter. The loser goes home. You don't have the luxury of a seven game playoff series. The team with the most talent on paper doesn't always win. In this type of a tournament (single game eliminations), other factors can sometimes enter in (who's got the hot goaltender; which team comes together quickest; which team remains healthy; which country buys best into the team concept and game; etc.).

Going into this tournament, Canada and Russia are the favorites. Russia has a very potent attack and offense. Their defense is suspect however. Canada also has a pretty good offense. But they have a better defensive corps than Russia. But Sweden and the United States cannot be counted out. The US has good team speed and goaling. On the downside, they are very youthful and inexperienced. But this should be a great tournament. I'd say the top six or seven nations all have at least an outside shot of winning a medal, if not a gold medal. And there are so many great players that come from the different countries today. Should be a fun tourney to watch. You're not going to see better hockey than this. I am a hockey fanatic to begin with. But nothing matches the magnitude of Olympic hockey. Nothing.

I remember the 1980 Olympic hockey games vividly. I was in New Orleans at the time, and you talk about fanatics. I doubt them Cajuns had ever seen a hockey game in their life prior to that, but the 'Who Dat' crowd was cheering like banshees for those youngsters of the USA.

I remember the 1980 Olympic hockey games vividly. I was in New Orleans at the time, and you talk about fanatics. I doubt them Cajuns had ever seen a hockey game in their life prior to that, but the 'Who Dat' crowd was cheering like banshees for those youngsters of the USA.
    The 1980 team was a great story. Can you believe it already? That was 30 years ago! It will be a lifelong memory. I'll never forget the first game of the tournament in 80 when USA pulled the goalie and tied Sweden with 27 seconds to go in the game. That set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

Okay, Irving, you're on...

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I'll buy you a cheeseburger if the Americanos win the gold in hockey, you buy me one if the Canucks win it.

Deal?

By the way, did you see the Nordic Combined yesterday? Wow! Probably the most exciting race ever in that event. Johnny Spillane (USA) took the silver, which is the first time the USA has ever medaled in the Nordic Combined. He lost the gold by seven one-hundredths of a second.

I'm watching the Cross Country right now as I type.

Oh yeah, one more medal for Apollo Ono and he will be the most decorated winter olympian ever.

Okay, Irving, you're on...

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I'll buy you a cheeseburger if the Americanos win the gold in hockey, you buy me one if the Canucks win it.

Deal?

By the way, did you see the Nordic Combined yesterday? Wow! Probably the most exciting race ever in that event. Johnny Spillane (USA) took the silver, which is the first time the USA has ever medaled in the Nordic Combined. He lost the gold by seven one-hundredths of a second.

I'm watching the Cross Country right now as I type.

Oh yeah, one more medal for Apollo Ono and he will be the most decorated winter olympian ever.
    Okay, Scott, you're on. Let me know if you ever decide to make the trip into the NY/NJ metro area by the way. You may not have ever tried our famous Corn Beef and/or Pastrami. I'll have to treat you to one of those too!

I didn't see Johnny Spillane's race. But I have been following Apollo Anton Ono with much interest. He's fast becoming the Michael Phelps of the Winter Games.

Of course, I'm getting psyched up for the hockey which is set to begin tomorrow.