Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APB on Adelphos

Default APB on Adelphos

Scott, where are you buddy? These forums are not the same without you! You're missed.

Irving

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Scott, where are you buddy? These forums are not the same without you! You're missed.
    Hey, Irv. Actually, I'm reading about all the signs that are being posted on buses and roadsides and shops and buildings and so forth in eretz Israel calling for the building of the Third Temple. Looking with relish, I might add...

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Hey, Irv. Actually, I'm reading about all the signs that are being posted on buses and roadsides and shops and buildings and so forth in eretz Israel calling for the building of the Third Temple. Looking with relish, I might add...
    Were you there too? These are definitely interesting times. Things were a little tense when I was there recently. There was rioting on the Temple Mount and in East Jerusalem (Some Arab Israelis used the occasion of the dedication of the "Hurva" (Destruction) synagogue in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City as a pretense to riot on account of the "supposed plans of Israel to start building on the Temple Mount." Of course, the latter is completely fabricated. In addition, the Obama administration has been applying great pressure of the Netanyahu government. It was quite sad actually. But, yes, it seems like there is certainly interest in a third temple. And if 2 Thess 2 is to be believed (i.e., that the Antichrist will go into the Temple and declare himself to be god) - and I believe 2 Thess 2 is the Word of God! - then the scenario that the Temple will be rebuilt is not unreasonable. Good to see you back in the Forums, Scott!

But, yes, it seems like there is certainly interest in a third temple. And if 2 Thess 2 is to be believed (i.e., that the Antichrist will go into the Temple and declare himself to be god) - and I believe 2 Thess 2 is the Word of God! - then the scenario that the Temple will be rebuilt is not unreasonable. Good to see you back in the Forums, Scott!
    Unless, of course, one views "the temple of God" reference in 2 Thessalonians 2:4 to be to the church, as some people do, based upon 2 Corinthians 6:16.

By the way, I was also wondering what had happened to Adelphos. Glad to know you are all right and enjoying yourself.
    Last edited by jimofbentley; 04-02-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Things are going to heat up and speed along a great deal faster from here on out than most people think. Like the rolling stone that gathers no moss, but goes faster and faster with each revolution, so will it be regarding Israel and world events as depicted in the Bible. The Word of God is plain not only in the truth that it teaches, but also in the timing of the events it prophesies of.

At least for those with eyes to see with, and ears to ear with. The rest are content to go on questioning the promise of his coming and therefore are placed under judicial blindness by the Father himself.

That's one of the reasons why the Lord Jesus rebuked those in his day who did not recognize hiim, for the timing of the Messiah's first advent could not have possibly been any clearer to one who truly understood the Scriptures, such as Simeon and Anna.

So it is today.

"O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?" Matthew 16:3

And thus, all who attempt to rob Israel of her inheritance which was given her by direct fiat from God in Mount Sinai (Leviticus 25:23), indeed, ALL who rise up against Isreal either militarily OR diplomatically with respect to her inheritance, especially from here on out, will find that Jehovah Elohim, even the Lord Jesus Christ, has a grave quarrel with them.

Guess who will win that quarrel?
    Last edited by Adelphos; 04-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Unless, of course, one views "the temple of God" reference in 2 Thessalonians 2:4 to be to the church, as some people do, based upon 2 Corinthians 6:16.

By the way, I was also wondering what had happened to Adelphos. Glad to know you are all right and enjoying yourself.
    Hey Jim, your point is duly noted. And I believe in always respecting those who hold to different opinions. But I think Jesus' words in Matthew 24:15 are quite instructive. He said "When you see the abomination of desolation standing in the Holy Place..." Though his remarks are prophetic, he is all the while using an analogy from Daniel who spoke prophetically of Antiochus Epiphanes who erected a statue of himself to the Greek god Zeus in the Holy Temple in 168 BCE. Since the first abomination of desolation was erected in the literal Temple, there is no good reason to assume the second won't also be. Daniel 9:24-27 also speaks prophetically of the "prince who is to come" who will put a stop to sacrifices in the "middle of the week." If this refers to the tribulation period (the seventieth week of Daniel), as I believe it does, then the Temple must be standing for the sacrifices to be stopped. Also, John the revelator, speaks of the Temple in Revelation 11. All in all, I believe the Temple will be rebuilt in accordance with biblical prophecy. And it is interesting to note, as Scott has, that there is much preparation and anticipation of this in some quarters in Israel today. But, again, I have no interest in tearing down your position if you hold differently. We are brothers in Messiah, co-members in his redeemed community of Jew and Gentile in him. I fully respect your right to disagree with me.

good to have you back adelphos.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Hey Jim, your point is duly noted . . . I fully respect your right to disagree with me.
    Thanks, Irving. Although I did not mention that I personally held that opinion, your tolerance is gracious.

We do hold different opinions on the return of Christ. Well, not that HE WILL return, just on the timing, the events surrounding His return, and the interpretation of what the Scriptures say and mean regarding that return.

But so long as we can do that in the love of Christ, all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Thanks, Irving. Although I did not mention that I personally held that opinion, your tolerance is gracious.

We do hold different opinions on the return of Christ. Well, not that HE WILL return, just on the timing, the events surrounding His return, and the interpretation of what the Scriptures say and mean regarding that return.

But so long as we can do that in the love of Christ, all is well.
    Amen, Jim! I remember when I first got to bible school many, many years ago, the big thing among the students was theological jockeying and debate. It was almost a sport. Though I am comfortable in my own positions, I see no need to tear others down over differently-held doctrinal positions. It is not worth the damage it does to our fellowship. We ought to major more on preserving the bond of unity in the Spirit. And the other thing is, we should always endeavor to maintain a sense of teachableness. Believers should not be above the need to change their positions when they are not scripturally justified. I have a sermon (at least one) that I wrote many years ago that I could not preach today, since I have come to a different interpretation on the passage. Or better, I would preach that (or those) sermon(s) differently today. I always value the motto on the front page of our congregation's constitution, though it is by no means unique or original to us. It reads: "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity." That has sort of become my credo. At least, I aspire to live by those words. Blessings to you down under, Jim!

I have a sermon (at least one) that I wrote many years ago that I could not preach today, since I have come to a different interpretation on the passage. Or better, I would preach that (or those) sermon(s) differently today.
    When I first started in church ministry - 25+ years ago now (where did the time go?) I used to keep all of my old sermons, neatly filed in my filing cabinet.

A couple of years after I had finished at my first church, I pulled some of them out - read through them - cringed greatly at some of the things I said and how I said them - and promptly threw them all away.