Thread: Narrowing down a search?

Default Narrowing down a search?

I would like to search on "sin" and its variations (sinned, sins, sinner, sinners). I could, but I don't want to because it would take more time, search on each individual word.

The easiest way would be to type in sin* which would find them all, but this also give me words such as "since, single, sing, sincere, Sinai, sink".

Is there a way to find these variations of "sin", without all of these other, unrelated words?

Of course, one way would be to do an "or" search on the Greek words, as in: /amartia amartanw (all 1,108 occurences - including the Apocrypha - with, surprisingly, Leviticus having 163!), but I am more concerned here with how the word is translated within its context.

Your help would be appreciated.

Search .sin* then click the words tab. In the bottom right you'll see all the words found. Determine which ones are the ones you want that are related to sin and do an "or" search including all of them.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Why not just type a " / " and then all the words you can think of the "sin" words you can think of on same line like this:

/sin sinner sinning sinned sinneth sinful

You could do the same thing with strongs' numbers too, I think.
    But, it is probably better to sick with Hebrew root/lemma searches and maybe even the Greek ones too.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Why not just type a " / " and then all the words you can think of the "sin" words you can think of on same line like this:

/sin sinner sinning sinned sinneth sinful

You could do the same thing with strongs' numbers too, I think.
    But, it is probably better to sick with Hebrew root/lemma searches and maybe even the Greek ones too.
    Because the method I suggested will give you the list you want. If you depend on all the ones you can think of, you might miss one or two.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default ... or a LN Domain search

Another option is to use the Louw-Nida domain (though this is only good for the NT and LXX).
    Clear the command line, right click > Insert Louw-Nida domain code > choose domain > Insert

For "sin," you are probably looking at domain 88.289-318. If you want to be more specific, you could which specific subdomains you want and edit the command line to just search for those.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Louw-Nida option

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Another option is to use the Louw-Nida domain.
    And Hofmann's suggestion has the advantage of getting more of the "sin" words, unless you really do want to examine only what a particular translation rendered in English with a sin* expression.

If you wanted that, do this, and I think you'll cover all and only what you wanted:
    /sin sins sinf* sinn*

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Search .sin* then click the words tab. In the bottom right you'll see all the words found. Determine which ones are the ones you want that are related to sin and do an "or" search including all of them.
    Thanks for that. I didn't realise I could do this.

I would think the most efficient way would be lemmatized versions for languages other than Greek or Hebrew. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be possible (or really necessary) in BW.

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Another option is to use the Louw-Nida domain (though this is only good for the NT and LXX).
    Clear the command line, right click > Insert Louw-Nida domain code > choose domain > Insert

For "sin," you are probably looking at domain 88.289-318. If you want to be more specific, you could which specific subdomains you want and edit the command line to just search for those.
    Thanks for this. I had never really looked at the Louw-Nida Lexicon before now, but I can see now how useful it can be.

I appreciate your help.