Thread: Is this a glitch or am I miss something?

Default Is this a glitch or am I miss something?

Open up Exodus 3:1 with BW6. Right click on the Heb. word for wilderness.

The lemma adds a final Qof to the typical word for "wilderness" which never appears with a Qof, even in its cognates. There is a hapax leg. in Song of Sol. 4:3 which has an interesting form based on the second meaning of the word for wilderness, but that meaning is surely not intended in Ex. 3:1.

Is this a glitch or is there something going on that I am not aware of?

Thanks for the help!

Eric

Default Odd for sure

Well, it is odd for sure and may be a glitch.

The parsing is showing the lemma with the final Qof, however, it is mapped to BDB and HALOT correctly, to the lemma with no final Qof.

If you search for rbdm with no Qof you what you would expect, 250+ hits. However, Ex. 3:1 is not listed. It is only found when searching for rbdm with the final Qof.

Could be a database bug with Westminster. I thought there was a place on Westminster's Hebrew Institute page http://www.wts.edu/hebrew/index.html to report bugs, but I cannot find it now.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default So you CAN post in Hebrew!

Well, posting in Hebrew will be much easier in the future!

Do you think this is a glitch I ought to report to BW or not? I'm not sure. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for checking it out and making sure I'm not nuts.

Blessings,

Eric

Default Westminster Glitch

Eric,

I think it is a glitch with the Westminster Data, not BW.

In fact I compared the parsing in Logos's BHS with Westminster's 4.0 Morphology and it has the exact same thing as BW.

However, in the SESB version of the BHS the parsing is without the final Qof.

No doubt a Westminster Data bug. Maybe the guys @ BW can tell you where to report WTM bugs. As I mentioned, I thought there was a place online.

If you find out, I would be interested.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fleener
    I think it is a glitch with the Westminster Data, not BW.

No doubt a Westminster Data bug. Maybe the guys @ BW can tell you where to report WTM bugs. As I mentioned, I thought there was a place online..
    BW notifies Westminster (and other suppliers) directly when it is notified of such database errors. I don't know how to contact Westminster directly, but as of this morning BW knows about this, and I'm sure they'll pass it on.
    Christ is risen!
    Mark Eddy