Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks Update Comments

Default BibleWorks Update Comments

Just received the BibleWorks update email where they write:
    "The next version will include a greatly enhanced Windows-compatible Unicode-enabled editor and the Holman Christian Standard Bible..."
    I am very pleased about the Unicode capability, and that alone will encourage me to update when it becomes available.
    BibleWorks knows their user base better than I, but is the Holman Bible really a significant / important / desirable addition for which many people would want to spend money. Yes, one could always argue that one more version is better than one less, but, even if I were not working directly from the original languages, I can gain a good sense of what is going on in a text by comparing, e.g., the NRSV with the NAS with the NETBible with Peterson's The Message (or the NLT). That provides quite a range of literal to dynamic to paraphrase.
    I guess I simply don't anticipate using or needing the Holman Bible.
    My two cents...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Holman Translation

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH

BibleWorks knows their user base better than I, but is the Holman Bible really a significant / important / desirable addition for which many people would want to spend money. Yes, one could always argue that one more version is better than one less, but, even if I were not working directly from the original languages, I can gain a good sense of what is going on in a text by comparing, e.g., the NRSV with the NAS with the NETBible with Peterson's The Message (or the NLT). That provides quite a range of literal to dynamic to paraphrase. I guess I simply don't anticipate using or needing the Holman Bible.
    My two cents...
    We don't really charge for Bible versions. In this case we are absorbing the royalty. It has always been our policy to not sell Bible versions as modules. You'll just have to take my word for the fact that having or not having this version has no effect on selling price. We could sell Bible versions as modules, but you would wind up paying a lot more for the versions you use than you are now paying for everything. It's a win-win situation for the end-user, which is why we do it that way. We make less money than we could by selling a lot of modules, but we sleep better at night :-)

Mike

Smile Tniv

When the TNIV becomes available, I would love to be able to use it in BibleWorks. The NT part is already a significant improvement to the NIV.

David McKay

Just received the BibleWorks update email where they write:
    Hmmmm, I haven't received that email. I just checked the site, and the Announcements forum here, and didn't see anything either. So, Mark, Mike, someone, please inform us; our breaths are properly baited.

Post The Bibleworks Update email

Here is the exact text of the email in question

1. More Training Workshops
    2. User Forums -- info you can use
    3. Keep your BibleWorks updated!
    4. ETS/SBL -- San Antonio here we come!

Greetings from BibleWorks. We hope you're continuing to find
    BibleWorks helpful in your work and study. Here's some BibleWorks
    news you may find useful.

++ 1. Workshops. BibleWorks has significantly expanded the number of
    training workshops being offered. This fall we're holding beginner
    and advanced workshops in Philadelphia; Wilmore, KY; Orlando; St.
    Louis; Denver; Minneapolis; Detroit; and San Antonio. More are
    scheduled for 2005. Tuitions are usually in the $25 range, a price
    that students can afford. Check the schedule on
    http://www.bibleworks.com.

++ 2. Forums. A series of BibleWorks user forums
    (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums) allows users to post and receive
    answers to questions, read the latest BibleWorks announcements, and
    access a "Frequently Asked Questions" section that provides helps and
    hints.

++ 3. New Material. BibleWorks is constantly updating and even adding
    new material to its program. To make sure you have the latest
    resources, such as (for BibleWorks 6 customers) the NET Bible and
    Josephus updates, simply download them from the web site (click in the
    menus on Help | BibleWorks on the Web | Check for Web Updates). The
    next version will include a greatly enhanced Windows-compatible
    Unicode-enabled editor and the Holman Christian Standard Bible, as
    well as many other new features we will announce in the coming months.

NOTE: When any new version comes out, our discounted upgrade policy
    protects our customers. Anyone who licenses the current version will
    be able to upgrade at cost if a new version comes out within 90 days
    thereafter.

++ 4. ETS/SBL -- San Antonio here we come!
    Check out booth #3 at the Evangelical Theological Society conference
    Nov 17-19 and booth #127 at the Society for Biblical Literature
    Conference Nov 20-23. Of special interest is a Nov 19 professional
    workshop, free to attendees, on integrating exegetical Biblical
    software into your curriculum.

Your BibleWorks Customer Service Team
    service@bibleworks.com
    http://www.bibleworks.com
    +1-888-747-8200

This e-mail was sent because you have registered with BibleWorks or
    requested information about BibleWorks. If you do not wish to receive
    news about BibleWorks upgrades and special sales, please reply back to
    this message with "unlist" in the subject line.

Default HCSB: worth it

...is the Holman Bible really a significant / important / desirable addition for which many people would want to spend money. ...I guess I simply don't anticipate using or needing the Holman Bible. My two cents...
    Have you ever read it? I think the decision to name the version after a particular publisher is unfortunate, and there are a couple of conventions with which I disagree. However, having now read all of it, I think it's a valuable addition. It's Bible-believing, more literal than dynamic, readable and, unlike the ESV, bold enough to offer some venturesome, untraditional, and more-accurate renderings.

I'll be really glad for its addition.

Dan
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Default Tniv

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo
    When the TNIV becomes available, I would love to be able to use it in BibleWorks. The NT part is already a significant improvement to the NIV.

David McKay
    Please do make the TNIV available. Although the egalitarian issues have made it controversial and unlikely to replace the NIV, it has made strides in many other areas where the NIV was critiqued in the journals and commentaries. Please, please, please give us the TNIV

Jeremy.
    Last edited by acts1810; 03-27-2005 at 11:52 PM.

Smile TNIV vs ESV

The TNIV and the New Living Translation are sold in all sorts of versions overladen with commentary and pretty pictures, which I think detract from the bible itself. [So, of course are many other bible versions.]

But if you look at the text itself, the TNIV is very conservative, though the NLT2 is alos a lot more cautious than the NLT.

But both seem to be really worthwhile as helps to understanding the bible, I think.

I'm finding both to be useful aids in sermon preparation [along with essentials like lexicons, commentaries, etc]

It is terrific to have the whole TNIV downloadable in pdf format from TNIV.info and the NLT2 in BibleWorks.
    David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info

I have been reading the TNIV New Testament for about a year and find it a very good blend between literal and dynamic. I have downloaded the whole Bible and do like the way they have translated a number of passages. As a homeschooling father and Christian author I find it to be written in the English I teach my kids. To put it in BibleWorks would be a fine addition.

Might I also suggest that it be included with the superior Goodrick-Kohlenberger numbering system and with a Strong's cross-over capability. Having the abridged New International Dictionary of New Testament Theologyas an added module would be great too.

From the knowledge I have, the HCSV was produced to give the Baptists a version of their own, so they did not have to pay Zondervan royalties on Sunday School materials published with the NIV. Overall I think it is OK, but I prefer a more modern English style.

Red face Tniv

Any word on the addition of Today's New International Version to BibleWorks?
    Is there any way to import the pdf (http://www.tniv.info/pdf/TNIV_Bible.pdf)?

Awaiting Arrival,
    Jeremy