Thread: sampleHTMLHelp.zip & Win7 64-bit

Default sampleHTMLHelp.zip & Win7 64-bit

Howdy All,

I was playing with the contents of the sampleHTMLHelp.zip file on a Windows 7 64 bit machine and when I hover over a Bible reference link in the mymodule.chm file I get a Windows Security Warning that says:

An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want to allow this interaction?

If I click yes or no to this modal dialog it just plasters itself back up again until I go over and close the mymodule.chm file.

I've tried to adjust the permissions for the mymodule.chm file and even played with the IE permissions in an attempt to get around this. Can anyone here clue me in on exactly what I need to do to get this to work? I wanted to try my hand at making some data files to use with BibleWorks, but I'm hitting the wall with this small problem.

Thank you,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    Howdy All,

I was playing with the contents of the sampleHTMLHelp.zip file on a Windows 7 64 bit machine and when I hover over a Bible reference link in the mymodule.chm file I get a Windows Security Warning that says:

An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want to allow this interaction?

If I click yes or no to this modal dialog it just plasters itself back up again until I go over and close the mymodule.chm file.

I've tried to adjust the permissions for the mymodule.chm file and even played with the IE permissions in an attempt to get around this. Can anyone here clue me in on exactly what I need to do to get this to work? I wanted to try my hand at making some data files to use with BibleWorks, but I'm hitting the wall with this small problem.

Thank you,
    Mike

Hmm, I don't have an immediate solution. Seems like Windows 7 does have tougher security built-in, which is great unless it stops you from doing things you really want to do. I did a bit of searching and it looks like this is an Internet Explorer related issue since that shares the protection for javascript, but I can't immediately see a quick solution. Hopefully the real programmers can enlighten. In XP, all you had to do was "unblock" HTML Help files, but it doesn't look like Windows 7 operates under the same principle.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I run BW8 on Win7 64-bit and have never encountered this. Are you logged in as a limited user or an administrator?
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by richardsugg View Post
    I run BW8 on Win7 64-bit and have never encountered this. Are you logged in as a limited user or an administrator?
    Richard, try unzipping the sample file Miles mentioned in the BibleWorks 8 root directory. I haven't experienced this with other files, but that file he mentioned does produce this error on my computer too.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Richard, try unzipping the sample file Miles mentioned in the BibleWorks 8 root directory. I haven't experienced this with other files, but that file he mentioned does produce this error on my computer too.
    I have had this sort of problem with other files trying to write to "system" directories, though not with BW. I would suggest the following: make a directory in your Documents folder to create your module, etc. Move the final product (*.chm, *.chd, and *.sdx) to the databases folder.

Are you viewing the module from outside of BW? In other words, did you double-click on mymodule.chm directly or is this a module you have launched from within BW?
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by richardsugg View Post
    I have had this sort of problem with other files trying to write to "system" directories, though not with BW. I would suggest the following: make a directory in your Documents folder to create your module, etc. Move the final product (*.chm, *.chd, and *.sdx) to the databases folder.

Are you viewing the module from outside of BW? In other words, did you double-click on mymodule.chm directly or is this a module you have launched from within BW?
    1. Unzipped the samplemymodule right to my Desktop.

2. Ran the mymodule.chm directly.

3. Mouse over a BW verse link in the CHM and it produces that error.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Hey- thank you guys for checking to see if you had the same problem. I haven't spent any more time trying to get it working on this computer. I did send an email to BibleWorks service with a link to this thread in case they have a way to get around this.