Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bibleworks crashing again

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    We had a good bit of trouble posting updates this afternoon. The internet connection broke several times during the updates and that may have compromised the files. We are still looking into it.
    I've updated three XP systems with j with no problems, so I don't think that's the culprit.

Those of you having the problem can you send the following info to me at mbushell@bibleworks.com:

1. Your Operating System version and default language
    2. the type of account (administrator or limited user)
    3. are you running as a remote user?

Thanks,
    Mike

One more suggestion. If you are running remotely or in a limited account, try going to the BibleWorks main folder. Look int the INIT subfolder. If you are running from a limited account your should see a file named like this:

username.ini

wherer username would be your logon name.

If that file is there delete it and then try running BW.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    One more question. Is there anyone with the problem who is NOT running on German XP?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    I,m running a Swedish xp

Quote Originally Posted by markusw View Post
    I don't know whether I'm having the same problem as Stephanus, but BibleWorks doesn't work for me anymore either. After applying the most recent update (i), BibleWorks shut down and upon restarting I got the message that "bwbits80.dll" is missing. It's not missing though: it's both in the program folder as well as in the system folder. However, I'm not able to launch BibleWorks anymore. When trying, I get a message telling me that the file can't be accessed and that I might not have the required rights to do so. I get the same message when trying to run "Reconfigure or Uninstall BibleWorks" or even just try to open any of the folders in the program folder.
    I had exactly the same problem after applying one of the previous exe-updates (e). At that time I was about to reinstall Windows anyhow. So I did and after installing BibleWorks, a new patch was available (f). With that one (and the two ones after that) everything worked fine.
    I'm running BibleWorks on Windows XP Professional. My account is the only user account and I'm the computer administrator. And I'm German. Maybe that's the problem ...
    Mike,

I had the same problem Markus explained running BW8 under Win XP Pro SP3 (Spanish) even though I had Administrator rights (and no remote user). I spent a whole afternoon trying to solve the problem on my own. Here's what I did:

Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - uncheck Use Simple File Sharing (last checkbox).

After doing that I could right-click on folders and files and use the Security tab and the Advanced Options for permissions.

I made sure I had total control of all the files in BW's directory and then I was able to update. It was a very unpleasant experience, but I am now running 8.0.015j.1 without any noticeable problem.

For the record, my other BW8 installation on a virtual machine with an English copy of Win XP Pro SP3 did not have any of the problems described in this thread.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ruben Gomez; 01-14-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add more info

Ruben,

When you changed the permissions, do you recall if Full Control was given (or not given) for the groups Everyone, Users, & Administrators?

To all others affected:
    We made some changes to make it easier for Limited User accounts to run BibleWorks, but it appears that some non-English systems are having folder Security permissions messed up by this new patch. If you look at the folder Security tab properties for the BibleWorks 8 folder, you need to have Full Control (read, write, delete) permissions for Administrators and all Users.

To see the Security tab permissions, you have to turn off "Simple file sharing", as Ruben points out:

Start - Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - uncheck Use Simple File Sharing (last checkbox).

Once that is enabled, you need to right-click on the Program Files\BibleWorks 8 folder, select Properties, and click the Security tab.

After that, you need to grant Full Control to Everyone, Users, Administrators, and Current user.

Then, you need to restore an old EXE. In your BibleWorks 8 folder, there should be a file with a name like "8.0.015c-BW800lg.exe". Rename the existing "bw800.exe" to "do_not_use-bw800.exe", and make a new copy of the file named "8.0.015c-BW800lg.exe" and name it "bw800.exe". This should enable things to be running from a previous version of the EXE.

We are very sorry for this problem and are working hard on a fix.
    Thanks for bearing with us.

Michael
    Last edited by MTan; 01-14-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTan View Post
    Ruben,

When you changed the permissions, do you recall if Full Control was given (or not given) for the groups Everyone, Users, & Administrators?
    To be quite honest, I don't remember what the settings were. I think everyone had full control, but I'm not 100% sure. Sorry.

I did uncheck the inherit permissions options (or something to that effect), and left just me with full control.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your help.

I just posted a new exe that should be sase (8.0.015k.2). The security fixes that we were trying to add have been removed until we figure out what is going on. But ig you had a problem you will still have to set the read-write permissions of the BW folder as Michael Tan outlined above.

In case you are curious about the problem we were trying to address it has to do with users trying to run BW from a limited account under XP. It didn't work for non-English OS installations. Back to the drawing board on that.

Mike

FWIW...

The latest update, k, crashed after I first updated it, but when I tried to open BW again afterwords, it worked fine. IOW, the update crashed, but it did update, and all I had to do was reopen.

This just shows you how convoluted all of the security measures have become.

I think from now on we should all just join the NSA Cryptography/Analysis Section and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I think from now on we should all just join the NSA Cryptography/Analysis Section and go from there.
    Wow, I think I'm now recommending you as Obama's next Homeland Security Czar, in addition to your new English grammar cabinet post!