Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbers in brackets wont display

Default Numbers in brackets wont display

Hey!

I just work on a translation and want to put Numbers in brackets. I know it has something to do with the box "superscripts" and/or in the box "Notes" the setting "End Notes". Is there any way to keep those two features on and also make numbers in brackets visible?

Hope this is not only a problem for me as I use BW 6. Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!
    Steffen

By brackets do you mean <> or []?

the former may be prevented from being because they interfere with notes. To see them once you've compiled, click on the browse window and type "n" that toggles Notes on and off. I believe the [] are used for italics, but I can't remember.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Michael's memory is pretty good. <> are used to introduce notes. {} surround endnotes. [] turn words into italics. In a Greek database the characters and display as [ and ] sometimes, depending on what follows. In English databases they just display as and . As far as I know the programmers have not revealed the secret of how they get square brakets to display in their databases, but we cannot do the same in a user database. Another caveat, when you add numbers to a text, they are counted as a word, and so they can throw searches off after your database is compiled. So you may wish to reconsider your plans.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    By brackets do you mean <> or []?
    I expressed myself too inconclusive. I meant () those brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    To see them once you've compiled, click on the browse window and type "n" that toggles Notes on and off.
    Yes! I just fixed it. You were right. Just wanted to ask where that feature is but find it a few seconds ago. It works. Thx for all regards, mates.

Be blessed.
    Steffen

Default to show brackets [ and ] in version text

If you want to show brackets in the version text, there are two ways to do it:

1) Select the option not to use italics, or
    2) use two brackets next to each other, like [[ and ]]
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

So Glenn, I can see the brackets if i put two next to each other but not the number inside. I only see "()" cause its a bracket in a bracket but the number is still invisible......

Hi Steffen,

Without looking at the file it is impossible for me to know why it appears that way. My guess is that you have the parenthesis and numbers within a notes tag. In that case, the notes tag info will only appear if the notes are displayed.

I would be glad to look at the file if you would like to send it to me. My email is gweaver, followed by @ and bibleworks.com.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

Glenn: Thanks for the tips.
    Steffen: in America we call () "parentheses." That is why the rest of us were confused. We call the square [] or angular <> brackets "brackets".
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    My guess is that you have the parenthesis and numbers within a notes tag. In that case, the notes tag info will only appear if the notes are displayed.
    Yeah, thats also what Michael has figured out. Due to the translation I edit the box "Notes" is changed to "End Notes" and the "superscripts"-box is also activated (Version Database Compiler -> dont miss! BW 6). So if I toggle displaying the notes I can see or even not see the "parenthesis" with the numbers inside, thats right. I just wanted to know whether theres possibly an other way to make them display (?). So, if theres no other way to display with the mentioned features on I will lay that problem down for now and search later for a solution. Just let me know if there is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Steffen: in America we call () "parentheses." That is why the rest of us were confused. We call the square [] or angular <> brackets "brackets".
    Ohh, now I understand... Thx Mark

Thx for all responding,

stay blessed.
    Steffen

Hi Steffen,

I really would have to look at the file to see how you are entering the text before I could figure out a way to do something else with it. Even a few verses of the file that contain the text that you want to display differently should be enough.
    Glenn Weaver