Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Word List Manager Question

Default Word List Manager Question

I've checked the help file and BibleWorks forum for an answer to a simple WLM question, but to no avail, so I am asking for help here.

I would like to generate in BibleWorks 8.0 a word list that will include both all the Greek words (in BGT: 57711 total) and all their lemmas (in BGM: 15505 total), and then export it as one two-columned file. This would result in a lot of lemma repetitions, of course. Be that as it may, it would be nice to be able to compile such a list, for teaching purposes, if anything.

I think that all you need to do is open the Word List Manager, click on "Load or Generate Word List" with BGT as your search version and the default range of Gen. 1:1-Rev. 22:21 with and asterisk on the "Filter Words using" line. Click "Create List", and you will get a list in order of occurance of 53077 words (I don't know why it differs from the number you gave). Then click on "Secondary Word List" at the bottom left of the WLM, and repeat the process, except use BGM as your search version. You'll come up with 15286 words. Again, I don't know why there is a discrepancy between this and the number you gave. You can then save this verse list.
    I don't know where you wish to export it, but if you click on the WLM "File" you will see two options: "Export to RTF file" and "Export to Text file." One of those should help you. But this seems to save just one of the two lists at a time, not both in separate columns.
    There is also a Help button on the WLM which might help you along.
    Mark Eddy

Default Thanks, but ...

Thanks, but that is already in the Help File, more or less.

To explain again (and probably this can't be done in BibleWorks 8.0 now, but hopefully it will be in future versions):

In Word List Manager, with BGT, you generate 57711 words (not the number quoted above).

In Word List Manager, with BGM, you generate 15505 words (again not the number quoted above). Go figure.

Is there some way to generate a word list that would consist of two columns, (1) all the Greek words (in BGT), (2) plus all their dictionary forms (in BGM)?

Default But ...

Thanks, Bob, but that procedure would take almost forever to complete. It is strange that this feature (simply compiling a list of Greek words with their dictionary forms) is not available as an option.

Maybe Mike could be persuaded to perform his programming wizardry to add this as an option to WLM. Or perhaps somebody out there could come up with a workaround.

This isn't going to automate the collection of the data you want into the 2 columned table, but the info is actually already collated and embedded into BW8.
    In the Analysis tab, if you right click anywhere, you will have the option to:
    Choose Lemma/Form Usage Statistics > Choose the 2 options (you will have to repeat this step twice to select both) for including the complete Greek lemma usage info.
    Once you have done that, whenever you hover over a Greek word in the Browse window, at the very bottom of the analysis tab, you will get every form used of that lemma. See the graphic below.
    Now... how do you pull all that info together without doing it one word at a time.
    (...OTOH, I'm not sure this project should be high on the priority list of the BW8 folks...)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Have you tried the Report Generator for this task? It seems to me that the RG would be the way to go for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Have you tried the Report Generator for this task? It seems to me that the RG would be the way to go for this.
    Hey Scott, where do you access the Report Generator, by the way?

Of a somewhat related issue, I had someone in my congregation ask me yesterday about Jesus' challenge to his disciples to keep his commandments (John 15). Specifically, they asked me, "What are Jesus commandments?" I answered with the usual suspects. But later, I thought it would be interesting to isolate all of Jesus' commandments in the gospels. I figured on the following procedure. One would have to do a Command Line search of all the imperative verbs in the Gospels. Then one would have to sift through all the imperatives looking specifically for those which came from the lips of Jesus. Then, of those, you would want to look for the imperatives that were addressed to his disciples (for example, you wouldn't want to include his command to the demons to leave the herd of swine). Finally, you would want to ferret out the commands that were intended to be regularly heeded on an ongoing basis as opposed to those that were merely situational. For example, you wouldn't want to include his command to the disciples to bring him the donkey upon which he would ride into Jerusalem at the Triumphal Entry. That was a one time, situational command. A study of this type would yield all of his commandments. But it would be time consuming. But I've started with the search. As I have time, I'm going to delete all the verses with imperatives uttered by individuals other than Jesus. Then I will get rid of all the innocuous imperatives that were not intended to be timeless. Eventually, I want to have a list of all the commands of Jesus in the Gospels. It will be interesting to see the distribution and which particular commands were the most frequent. For example, in Mt 7, Jesus says "Seek..., Ask...., Knock." Obviously, those three all relate to prayer. Jesus just restated much like we do when we want to make a strong point or be emphatic. We commonly tell those who are desirous of starting a business the thing that is important: "Location..location..location!"

At any rate, I may do a sermon series on the commands of Jesus one day. All this to ask, "Would the Report Generator be able to tell me the frequency of the different imperatives of Jesus?

Default Jesus' commandmens

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to isolate all of Jesus' commandments in the gospels.
    See John Piper, What Jesus Demands from the World. Piper wrote this after asking the same question. He saw Jesus claiming "all authority in heaven and on earth" and then telling his disciples to go, "...teaching them to observe all that I have commanded" (Matt 28:18,19). So he went through the Gospels and noted about 500 relevant imperatives, which he then digested into about 30 categories to produce the 15-chapter book on this.

Maybe you'll find his book interesting reading. I haven't read the book, though he was with us at Tyndale House while he was writing it, so we heard his thinking and ideas at coffee and tea breaks from time to time.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    See John Piper, What Jesus Demands from the World. Piper wrote this after asking the same question. He saw Jesus claiming "all authority in heaven and on earth" and then telling his disciples to go, "...teaching them to observe all that I have commanded" (Matt 28:18,19). So he went through the Gospels and noted about 500 relevant imperatives, which he then digested into about 30 categories to produce the 15-chapter book on this.

Maybe you'll find his book interesting reading. I haven't read the book, though he was with us at Tyndale House while he was writing it, so we heard his thinking and ideas at coffee and tea breaks from time to time.
    Sounds like it would be a pretty interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to save it to my Wish list at Amazon. I'm funny in this way though. If I'm preparing a study or sermon and I know someone else has done a sermon or study on the same passage or topic, I won't look at their work until I'm pretty much finished with my own. I don't want someone else's work to influence my own; atleast not until I've done and exhausted most of my own thinking on the passage or subject.

As an example, several years ago, I believe it was PreachingToday.com that offered the full text of a Haddon Robinson sermon as a free download. It was on the Martha and Mary passage in Luke 10. The title of Haddon's sermon was "Don't just do something; sit there!" I thought the title was ingenious so, naturally, I downloaded it. But I never read it; it was sitting in a folder on my PC. Then several months ago, I was moved to preach on the passage myself. But I refused to look at Haddon's sermon though I had the full text of it on my PC. In fact, when I opened up Haddon's sermon for the first time was when I got home from my congregation after I had preached my message. I must say that I braced myself before reading Robinson's sermon fearing that I might find something that would provoke me to say exasperatedly, "Oh, if only I had seen that or said that!" With all due respect for Haddon's greatness as an homiletician, in all frankness, there was nothing I would have changed about my sermon even if I had read his sermon before I preached my own. And that's not to take anything away from his sermon or, in any way, to commend mine.

Default Thanks a lot, NOT!

Thanks a lot, Senior Members, for cluttering up what was, I thought, I sincere question about the WLM.