Thread: OT Interlinear LXX Hebrew English

Default OT Interlinear LXX Hebrew English

Has anyone ever heard of a book or an available work that contains all three languages interlined for the OT? I own interlinear copies of the OT, but none have the Greek(LXX), Hebrew and English interlined together.
    Last edited by ugotdave; 01-09-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotdave View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a book or an available work that contains all three languages interlined for the OT? I own interlinear copies of the OT, but none have the Geek(LXX), Hebrew and English interlined together.
    A scholar by the name of Emanuel Tov produced something called the 'Parallel Aligned Hebrew and Greek Bible.' I believe it also has the English. This resource is definitely available digitally on a different sotware platform. But I believe it exists in print as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    A scholar by the name of Emanuel Tov produced something called the 'Parallel Aligned Hebrew and Greek Bible.' I believe it also has the English. This resource is definitely available digitally on a different sotware platform. But I believe it exists in print as well.
    I kind of don't think this is what he meant, but the Tov-Polak aligned database is in BibleWorks as well.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I was hoping for something like this:

Gen 1:1

In the beginning

בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית
    ἐν ἀρχῇ

Default Create your own...

You can pretty easily create your own w/ BW8. It will produce something that looks like this.
    >>>

TNK 23:1 A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing.
    WTT 23:1 מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִ֑ד יְהוָ֥ה רֹ֜עִ֗י לֹ֣א אֶחְסָֽר׃
    BGT 22:1 ψαλμὸς τῷ Δαυιδ κύριος ποιμαίνει με καὶ οὐδέν με ὑστερήσει
    LXA 23:1 A Psalm of David. The Lord tends me as a shepherd, and I shall want nothing.

>>>
    This is what I set up in the Copy Favorites. As you can see, I use it as a popup in MS Word. You can, of course, choose your preferred English translations and set all the translations in whatever order you choose.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    You can pretty easily create your own w/ BW8. It will produce something that looks like this.
    >>>

TNK 23:1 A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing.

WTT 23:1 מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִ֑ד יְהוָ֥ה רֹ֜עִ֗י לֹ֣א אֶחְסָֽר׃

BGT 22:1 ψαλμὸς τῷ Δαυιδ κύριος ποιμαίνει με καὶ οὐδέν με ὑστερήσει
    LXA 23:1 A Psalm of David. The Lord tends me as a shepherd, and I shall want nothing.

>>>
    This is what I set up in the Copy Favorites. As you can see, I use it as a popup in MS Word. You can, of course, choose your preferred English translations and set all the translations in whatever order you choose.
    I attempted to duplicate this for myself as a learning exercise. Using MS Word 2007 and with my version order as WTT LXA TNK BGT, the LXA printed in English but with the letters backwards and printing from right to left like Hebrew. Can anyone else reproduce this? Have I done something wrong or overlooked something I should have done? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    נֹתֵ֣ן לֶ֭חֶם לְכָל־בָּשָׂ֑ר כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃

Quote Originally Posted by Precha1 View Post
    I attempted to duplicate this for myself as a learning exercise. Using MS Word 2007 and with my version order as WTT LXA TNK BGT, the LXA printed in English but with the letters backwards and printing from right to left like Hebrew. Can anyone else reproduce this? Have I done something wrong or overlooked something I should have done? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Below is a copy of what it looks like:
    מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִ֑ד יְהוָ֥ה רֹ֜עִ֗י לֹ֣א אֶחְסָֽר׃
    tnaw llahs I dna ,drehpehs a sa em sdnet droL ehT .divaD fo mlasP A .gnihton23:1 LXA
    A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing. 23:1 TNK
    ψαλμὸςτῷΔαυιδκύριοςποιμαίνειμεκαὶοὐδένμεὑστερήσει22:1 BGT
    A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 23:1 ESV
    נֹתֵ֣ן לֶ֭חֶם לְכָל־בָּשָׂ֑ר כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃

I feel the "Parallel Hebrew & LXX" module is the closest tool BW can offer me right now.

It would be very helpful, for me, if there was a interlinear created containing all three languages and having them tagged in a db. Wow!! What a tool that would be for us who know not how to read and or write the original languages.

Or I guess I could just do like most and learn the original languages!!

Also, I was a bit confused on how to make the "Version List Range" work for me. Mark, could you please give me a step by step on how to incorporate this into my work flow.

I feel the "Parallel Hebrew & LXX" module is the closest tool BW can offer me right now.
    "Right now" might last a long time. Tov's database is actually a lot more useful than a Greek-Hebrew interlinear would be. I'll tell you why, below.

It would be very helpful, for me, if there was a interlinear created containing all three languages and having them tagged in a db. Wow!! What a tool that would be for us who know not how to read and or write the original languages.

Or I guess I could just do like most and learn the original languages!!
    How could an interlinear help you, if you do not know either Hebrew or Greek? Since Hebrew reads right to left, and Greek (and English) reads left to right, any true interlinear would be almost meaningless in one or more of the languages, since the word order would be all messed up. In other words, you would not be able to see the actual phrases of the Greek which represent the phrases of the Hebrew text, because they might be split up and out of order.
    If you want to know the basic translation of a Hebrew or Greek word, just put your cursor over the word, and in the analysis window you will see lexicon glosses (in English) for the word in question. (You will see from this that it is not always easy to find the right word for translation.)
    Many parts of the Septuagint in Greek are not word-for-word translations of the Hebrew original. So you cannot make a useful interlinear for such passages. The Greek words often mean something very different from the Hebrew words of the same verse. Sometimes multiple words take the place of a single word, and vice versa.
    Perhaps more useful to you (if you know a little Hebrew and Greek) would be to use the "Parallel Versions" tool. You could place Hebrew in one column, Greek in the second column, and English in the third column.
    Alternately you could have 1. Hebrew (WTT), 2. a literal English translation of the Hebrew (e.g. NAU), 3. Greek (BGT), 4. English translation of the LXX (e.g. LXE). This would allow you to see the major differences between the Hebrew and Greek. But, if you don't know Hebrew or Greek, why would you want to know that?
    In Christ, the point of it all,
    Mark Eddy