Thread: What makes the bible different than scripture from other religions?

Hybrid View

Default What makes the bible different than scripture from other religions?

Isn't it hypocritical to assume that your religion is correct just because your religion's texts say it is? People who follow Christianity claim the bible is true because it SAYS IT IS. Just like any other religion's "holy book" will do the same. Of course they're going to say they're true and everyone else is wrong! Why can't anyone offer rationale from a perspective that is not directly influenced by their own religion?

As an outsider to religions, none of them look any different than the next. Comforting explanations with set regulations to keep people believing them and passing it on to the next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewan View Post
    As an outsider to religions, none of them look any different than the next. Comforting explanations with set regulations to keep people believing them and passing it on to the next generation.
    Andre Wan why are you so angry?
    And, why does any of this trouble you?
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Isn't it hypocritical to assume that your religion is correct just because your religion's texts say it is?
    Your assumption about the Christian's assumption is a wrong assumption.

I don't believe my religion is correct because my religion's text says it is.

I believe my religion is correct because I have personally met it's founder, Jesus Christ, which is true with all genuine Christians.

If you had asked me five minutes before Jesus Christ personally introduced himself to me and indwelt me if I thought the Bible was the inerrant, infallible Word of God, I would have told you no, not by a long shot, because until Jesus Christ personally introduced himself to me in the supernatural miracle of the new birth and told me that his written Word was inerrant and infallible, I didn't value the Bible any more than any other book.

But when Jesus Christ personally introduced himself to me while I was reading and meditating on his written Word, and made me a new creature and indwelt me, and thereby also confirmed that he is the author of the Bible, suddenly all things became new.

And while there are many facets that separate Christianity -- true Christianity -- from all other religions, the most important is the fact that Christianity's founder, Jesus Christ, has risen from the dead and consequently, unlike all other religions extant, Jesus Christ communicates in the here and now with his followers by his Spirit.

You see, the followers of other religions aren't capable of actually meeting and communing with the leader of their religion.

Jesus Christ not only rose from the dead, he now lives and communicates with all who truly belong to him. There are no exceptions. In fact, that's one of the main promises Jesus made to all who would become born again in the supernatural miracle of the new birth, for he told us in John 14:21 --

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, AND WILL MALNIFEST MYSELF TO HIM." John 14:21

He also said, "My sheep hear my voice." John 10:27

There is no other historical religion under the sun which can make these types of claims and back them up. Just ask a Muslim when is the last time he and Mohammed communed with each other, or Buddha, or Krishna, ad infinitum. Not to mention the legions of other dissimilarities and problems with their claims.

I don't assume my religion is the correct one simply because "my texts say it is," as you incorrectly assumed.

In fact, I know my religion is the correct one because Jesus Christ has personally introduced himself to me in the supernatural miracle of the new birth, thereby bearing witness to the Bible, and thus Jesus Christ indwelt me, and made me a new creature, and has given me eternal life, for eternal life is Jesus Christ's to give, unlike Mohammed, Buddha, Krishna, et cetera.

All genuine Christians can make this same claim, as a great Christian of several centuries ago noted --

"They are not Christ's that neither know how they are called, nor can give any proof that they are called... to some God speaketh in thunder, to others in a still small voice, BUT TO ALL HE SPEAKETH." Thomas Manton, The Epistle Of Jude, v.1

Jesus Christ is not only the only true God, but he is likewise the only true God who can actually communicate with his elect, for he is risen, and he does so through his Spirit and Word, as it is written --

"Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God." 1 Corinthians 2:9-10

I challenge you to put Jesus Christ to the test. To a sincere, real, persevering test.

You see, unlike all the others, Jesus Christ can be known, and he can be known more certainly than ANY human you could POSSIBLY ever know, no matter how intimate. That's why Jesus told his disciples that it would be expedient for him to go away in the flesh, so that he could indwell all who genuinely believe in him in the Spirit.

Every angel and man will stand before Jesus Christ's judgment seat to give an account of themselves. Including you.

The only question is, when you do stand before Jesus Christ to be judged, will you stand there as friend or foe?

Here's how Jesus Christ defines his friends --

"He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad... He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me." Matthew 12:30, John 14:21

Meeting Jesus Christ is a certainty. The only question is whether you will meet him in the supernatural miracle of the new birth here, before you stand before him in judgment.

If the latter, if you do not meet him here in the supernatural miracle of the new birth, you will in the end be cast into outer darkness, where the worm dieth not, and where the fire is not quenched, and the smoke of the torment of all who do not belong to Jesus Christ in Spirit and in Truth will ascend up forever and forever as an eternal memorial to the purity of Jesus Christ and the justice of Almighty God.

If you're interested in meeting Jesus Christ personally, before you stand before him in judgment, go to my webpage and scroll down to the last couple of paragraphs, and read carefully...

http://www.lamblion.net

Again, I challenge you... put Jesus Christ to the test. You can do that by following the instructions in the last couple of paragraphs of my webpage.

And if you have further questions, you can pose them here or you can email me from my website.

Just like I figured; "Andrew" is a spambot.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvenem View Post
    Just like I figured; "Andrew" is a spambot.
    Being stuck in a can and annoying billions of email users daily is a tough life. Even Spam needs a little hope

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Luna View Post
    Being stuck in a can and annoying billions of email users daily is a tough life. Even Spam needs a little hope
    Ha ha! Not to mention the high sodium content.
    נֹתֵ֣ן לֶ֭חֶם לְכָל־בָּשָׂ֑ר כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃

Isn't it hypocritical to assume that your religion is correct just because your religion's texts say it is? People who follow Christianity claim the bible is true because it SAYS IT IS. Just like any other religion's "holy book" will do the same. Of course they're going to say they're true and everyone else is wrong! Why can't anyone offer rationale from a perspective that is not directly influenced by their own religion?

Well, actually if you studied the Bible at all you'd know things like Psalm 22 was given by David the prophet a thousand years before Christ's crucifixion yet every word of it came to pass when Christ was crucified. So you can see a prophecy given and then that prophecy fullfilled. Since it is easily ascertained that the Psalms were written long before Matthew 27:46 was written, you can see actual real history accounting for both ends of the prophecy. There are other examples.

As an aside to this example I want to say something about Bible teachers that say that Christ was either weak or Father forsook Him when He was uttering Matthew 27:46 - He was neither weak nor was He forsaken - He was TEACHING. He was letting everyone know to go read Psalm 22 and then letting us know it was coming to pass. When I hear some wanna-be Bible teacher say Christ was weak or forsaken, I want to give them a non-stop ticket to the moon with my fist, because they need the tough love. They're going to find out just how weak He is someday and BOY are they going to be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    As an aside to this example I want to say something about Bible teachers that say that Christ was either weak or Father forsook Him when He was uttering Matthew 27:46 - He was neither weak nor was He forsaken - He was TEACHING. He was letting everyone know to go read Psalm 22 and then letting us know it was coming to pass. When I hear some wanna-be Bible teacher say Christ was weak or forsaken, I want to give them a non-stop ticket to the moon with my fist, because they need the tough love. They're going to find out just how weak He is someday and BOY are they going to be surprised.
    The Son of God (The Logos of God) demonstrating His truest trust in the Word of God (Scripture). What a tremendous comfort (that we can trust the Word of God) and what a tremendous demonstration by our Lord in His greatest agony and adversity that you can trust the Word of God NO MATTER WHAT.

Amen, brother MWMiles! Amen!
    נֹתֵ֣ן לֶ֭חֶם לְכָל־בָּשָׂ֑ר כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃

1st Peter 3:15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have...(NIV)
    Hello andrewan. Your question is a fair one. If 10 religions all claim to be exclusively true either a) only one is right or b) all are wrong. And it can be circular reasoning: My religion is true because my religion says it is true therefore my religion is true.

As an outsider to religions, none of them look any different than the next.
    Since you are looking into the topic I would ask you to prod a little deeper into the Bible. I think there are two parts into the inquiry: Why should I trust the Bible? And What does the Bible say?

Per the reliability of the Bible there is a lot of material out there on the topic, it is up to you if you want to give our position a fair hearing (instead of rebutals of what we suposedly beleive). While the Bible isn't a history book it is historical. The God of the Bible chose to reveal himself through a series of covenants with people in history and the faithfulness of his promises can be seen in the unfolding of history. For the Old Testament Walter Kaiser has a nice introductory volume on the reliability of the Old Testament, and if you find the topic curious you can do some more advanced reading. For the New Testament Craig Blomberg has a couple nice volumes on Jesus and the Gospels and the Reliability of the Gospels. While there is a lot of literature on this topic I think these volumes give a good Christian response to why many of us believe the Bible on an intellectual level. There is no replacement for faith, and there are many things in the Bible that must be believed on a faith level, but in terms of the reliability of the text and its historical context I believe the linked sources offer a good introduction to the topic from our perspective based on an evaluation of objective facts.

As for what the Bible says, the best place to start is to read it for yourself. Per books overviewing the large brushes of scripture I personally like Kaiser's Promise Plan of God. But I am sure there are other good choices that do a nice job of surveying the "big picture" of the Bible's message. The reason I recommend Kaiser's book is that it presents a coherent reading of the Biblical text in the context of the text. And through it you will see how the Bible is unique: It ties a progressive plan of God in a historical context that is tangible. Our God works, and is working, in history. The pinnacle of revelation is his Promise which is revealed fully in His Son, through Whom all the Promises of God are manifest and worked out. And you can read more about Him right now. If you choose to it is worth asking: Does He fulfill the scriptures concerning the Messiah? What does He teach and claim? And if it is true, what consequence does that have on me?

The easy, and wrong, answer is to say all religions are the same. While religions share certain features in common they also have significant fundamental differences in terms of their conception of the divine, the divine's interest with man, and man's eternal destiny. I think you owe it to yourself to understand the differences instead of taking the lazy "outsider" view.

Comforting explanations with set regulations to keep people believing them and passing it on to the next generation.
    It depends on how you look at it--The world offers many philosophies. Our message is not comforting as the Bible unquestionably is exclusive: thrust yourself on Yahweh, the God of the Bible, or perish. It is comforting because Yahweh is a knowable God, who has revealed Himself through His Messiah, and extended a remedy to sin and reconciliation to Himself. Are you a person in need of forgiveness of sin? Do you want to be restored to your maker? Do you believe in his mighty arm that has acted on your behalf? If yes, the message is comforting and the natural response is to build a relationship with your maker and lover of your soul. If no the message is insulting. And we know that.

1st Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
    If you believe there is no knowable god and you see that there is no need for repentance and a new heart you will surely hear our message as foolishness. At the core of our message is the Life, Death, and Resurrection of God's Messiah. The one fortold. You owe it to yourself to seek out that claim. If He did not rise from the grave we believe a lie and should be pittied. If we are right the only response is to repent and believe. In that question, and answer, Christianity is certainly different from other religions. I hope you discover that difference for yourself someday.

I have never seen anyone (A) ask such a lazy-minded question and (B) be prepared to deal with the answer.

Always a first time.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W