Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW8 and Logos4 External Links

Default BW8 and Logos4 External Links

I know that a number of you run both BW8 and Logos. If so, you probably set up a bunch of external links that allowed you to right click and jump to a resource in Logos3.
    I've upgraded to Logos4, and they now use a different protocol for labeling their resources. Eg, to link to the SESB NA27 (with the text critical stuff), the old link to Logos3 was:
    libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<book>%20<chapter>%3A<verse>|res=LLS:NA27GBS

The new link to Logos4 now looks more like:
    libronixdls:keylink|ref=bible.<book>.<chapter>.<ve rse>|res=LLS:NA27GBS

NOTE:

• Lose the [en]
    • Links to Book chapter verse are no longer in the "Mark 1:1" format but in a "62.1.1" format. (More on this in a moment)
    • You can still use the old Resource labels (NA27GBS), but they also have a new set of labels (eg, NA27GBS is now also: 1.0.332)

Here's the problem...
    Logos4 does not like the dummy <book> label and will not work to create the link. Instead, each Bible book is assigned a number. (Gen=1, Exod=2... Mat=61, Mark=62, etc)

>>> Can BW8 return a book number instead of book name in the dummy box?

[BTW, if you do any copy/paste, remember that somehow extra spaces get thrown in. There should be no spaces in those link lines.]

The lemma links to Logos4 also need to be reworked. (The current ones will crash Logos4.) Those look like they will need even more work...

Thanks. Mark
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Lemma link...

Right now, BW8 can link to a lemma use the Beta encoding.
    Logos4 wants Unicode.
    Can BW8 export Unicode from the external link?
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I've upgraded to Logos4, ...
    Hey Mark, I just put in the order to upgrade to Logos 4. I'll be glad to continue this thread in the non-BW discussion forum. But I'd be curious to know your take, so far, on the new version. Also, which base package did you opt for? I've heard that the new interface takes some getting used to. Some actually report not liking it at first, only to have it grow on them with time. Anyway, if you're up for it, I'd love to hear your preliminary impressions. Thanks, Irving.

Smile

I have not yet tried Logos 4 with the external links, but I'm looking at a 4 day weekend, so I'll have to give that a twirl.

Default Another request

Right now, BW8 can link to a lemma use the Beta encoding. Logos4 wants Unicode. Can BW8 export Unicode from the external link?
    MGVH, I don't know the answer to your question but would like to make a request. You created a "shellexe" file with Logos 3 that I have found most useful. If you are planning on doing the same with Logos 4, I would greatly appreciate having access to it.

Personally, I have not found the Logos forums as helpful or user friendly, but I have been following the Logos Bible software blog and Morris Proctor's blog. Morris is the official trainer for Logos 4 and his newsletter is very informative.
    נֹתֵ֣ן לֶ֭חֶם לְכָל־בָּשָׂ֑ר כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃

Default Converting to #.#.# format for a reference

See the following scipts for BW-->Logos3 which convert the BW reference output to the #.#.# format. Someone capable could modify this for Bible reference calls to Logos4.

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...00&postcount=4

That's the trick for converting book chapter verse to #.#.#. Thanks, Greg!

I changed the syntax, but something is still not quite right, because it keeps opening up Logos3 instead of Logos4. I've contacted spitzerpl, and I hope he may have some insight.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

That's the trick for converting book chapter verse to #.#.#. Thanks, Greg!

I changed the syntax, but something is still not quite right, because it keeps opening up Logos3 instead of Logos4. I've contacted spitzerpl, and I hope he may have some insight.
    If you have both 3 and 4 installed on the same machine then only one or the other can catch the libronix protocol references. You'll need to edit your registry to switch the focus to Logos 4.

From the Logos forum:

The Hyperlink association for these links is in this key...
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\libronixdls\she ll\open\command
    For links to v3 use the file path to LDLSExec.exe (something like "C:\Program Files\Libronix DLS\System\LDLSExec.exe" %1)
    For links to go to V4 the path should be to the Logos4.exe file something like C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local\Logos4\Logos4.ex e "%1" (for "Username" insert whatever the specific location is)
    All I can say is that I tried this and I could switch back and forth between V3 and V4 by changing this setting.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I had already checked that and confirmed that it was pointing to Logos4. It seems there is something going on that if there is any error in the syntax, it falls back to LDLS ie Logos3.

If I understand the javascript correctly, it first looks to see if a libronixdls app is running. If not, it starts it. Then it generates the command with the keylink.

I do know that running
    directly obtains the proper results.
    Is that indeed what that last line does if mine looks like this:
    objLogos4.ExecuteCommand("keylink|ref=bible." + book + "." + chapter + "." + verse + testament);

[BTW, I changed all the objLDLS to objLogos4.]
    Thanks!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Yeah, I had already checked that and confirmed that it was pointing to Logos4. It seems there is something going on that if there is any error in the syntax, it falls back to LDLS ie Logos3.

If I understand the javascript correctly, it first looks to see if a libronixdls app is running. If not, it starts it. Then it generates the command with the keylink.

I do know that running
    directly obtains the proper results.
    Is that indeed what that last line does if mine looks like this:
    objLogos4.ExecuteCommand("keylink|ref=bible." + book + "." + chapter + "." + verse + testament);

[BTW, I changed all the objLDLS to objLogos4.]
    Thanks!
    Now that you have muddled the technical waters, can a brother eat some of the fruit? IOW will you share / make available your shell.exe file for download and implementation? Thanks for all your efforts and understanding in how to get the most out of BW and Logos 4.
    נֹתֵ֣ן לֶ֭חֶם לְכָל־בָּשָׂ֑ר כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃