Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Do That???

Default Searching for the suffix נּוּ-

How do I conduct a search for the suffix נּוּ- (with dagesh and pointing) to disambiguate which are 3ms and 1cs?

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    How do I conduct a search for the suffix נּוּ- (with dagesh and pointing) to disambiguate which are 3ms and 1cs?
    Hi Dale, The easiest way (probably with the highest rate of proper hits) is to use the WTM and search using the extended tags in the morphology. If you need to search for the specific spelling that you specified, then you would want to use the WTT, open the Context Menu for the Command Line, and select Dagesh Sensitive and Vowel Sensitive searching. Then you would use a wildcard preceeding the suffix. I would suggest using the WTM and morph codes, though. If you need further help, you can email me (my email address is gweaver). Blessings, Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Default ...the suffix נּוּ- (cont.)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    The easiest way (probably with the highest rate of proper hits) is to use the WTM and search using the extended tags in the morphology. If you need to search for the specific spelling that you specified, then you would want to use the WTT, open the Context Menu for the Command Line, and select Dagesh Sensitive and Vowel Sensitive searching. Then you would use a wildcard preceeding the suffix.
    I had already tried both ways:
    1. Couldn't quite figure out how to make sure I was looking only at the suffix נּוּ- in WTM--maybe there's a way to search with references to the energetic nun?
      • If I search for .*@*S???e* I get all the suffixes with the energetic nun (537x).
      • If I search for .*@*S*3mse* I get the 3ms suffixes with energetic nun (305x).
      • If I search for .*@*S*1cpe* I get the 1cp suffixes with energetic nun (1x, Hab 3:16), but I'm wondering if I'm missing something here (see 586x in WTT, below).

2. Worked when searching pointed and dagesh-sensitive search in WTT, showing 586 hits search for .נּוּ*; but then I can't search on the distinct morphologies for the form. Just have to go through them manually as far as I can see.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default Search error

Quote Originally Posted by johncalvinhall View Post
    The following attachment is a Screen Capture.

As I mentioned, when I type ".*@vix*" I actually get ".;@vix*".
    You have accent sensitive searching turned on. You can tell from the yellow color on the third square under the command line. When accent sensitive searching is on the keyboard changes to enable you to type accents. In this mode you have to press the INSERT key before typing wildcards. You can turn off accent sensitive searching by right clicking on the command line and selecting the option towards the end of the menu.

Mike

Hi Dale, The search using the WTT will add irrelevant search results that you need to manually remove. For example, Gen 2:17 is a hit, but that is not an energic nun. Unless there is a question that perhaps the WTM has mis-tagged some words, it will be more accurate to search using the WTM. Unless you know that there are hits being missed, I expect that the WTM search (such as .*@v*+S*e*) should find them all. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something here, as you know Hebrew far, far better than do I. Blessings, Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.