Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Font trouble for BW8 in Windows7

1. Unhappy Font trouble for BW8 in Windows7

After installing Windows 7 earlier this week (with which I've been otherwise pleased), I have had some problems with BW8.

I had set the Greek to a font size of 30, and I have twice (it worked OK for a time after I reinstalled after the first problem), after clicking on the BW8 icon to open the program, had it respond slowly, then give me a series of identical error boxes, each of which says "Unable to Create Font: Bwgrkl, Point Size: 30." After clicking "OK" on 3 or 4 of these error messages (sort of like 'whack-a-mole'), BW8 opens, with the Greek text line empty, and the lovely phrase "(Not Responding)" appearing at the top. I have to use the task manager to kill it. It won't let me open it.

As Charlie Brown used to say: "Argh!" Might somebody at BibleWorks help me out on this one? Thanks.
    Last edited by Bennett B. Wethered; 10-28-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    In Him, Bennett B. Wethered
    Pastor, Dayspring Orthodox Presbyterian Church
    Warrenton/New Baltimore, Virginia
    www.dayspringopc.org

I'm guessing nobody has answered you because most people haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet. I just received a copy I purchased discounted on Amazon but I always wait until they release one or two updates before I install it to save me some headaches.

It's good for you to let everybody know. The only advice I would give you would be to make sure and let the Bibleworks customer support know (service@bibleworks dot com) so they're aware of the situation. Don't just assume that others will report it, report it yourself. The guys don't always check the forums for problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan23 View Post
    I'm guessing nobody has answered you because most people haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet. I just received a copy I purchased discounted on Amazon but I always wait until they release one or two updates before I install it to save me some headaches.
    This is very true. I'm still on the same computer and operating system since 2003
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default I haven't had time to check in here...

But I am using Win7 with no problems. I only run Hebrew at 30 points, (mostly for projecting) but have changed Greek to 30 and back to my normal 13 several times to see how it behaved. I had absolutely no problems. If anything, Bibleworks opens faster in 7 than Vista. Sorry, I know that's no help to you.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

5. Default

Soxfan, I thought of that. When I posted my problem here at the Forum last night, I also sent the same message to BW Customer Support (the e-mail address you gave).

SkipB, once this current 'glitch' gets cleared up, I expect the same smooth sailing for my BW8 in Windows 7!
    www.dayspringopc.org

Hi Bennett,

I expect that it is something specific to your machine, rather than a problem with running BibleWorks 8 on Windows 7. Customer Service is the correct place to ask about such problems.

We have been developing BibleWorks on Windows 7 for some time now, without a problem. I am also running BibleWorks 8 on Windows 7 on my home computer.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

7. Default so far....so good

Since doing a 2nd install of my Windows 7 yesterday (even though I was upgrading Vista, which had come on my system 2 1/2 years ago, it wouldn't allow me to activate W7 unless I did so), I have had no recurrence of the BW Greek font error message. That may have 'done the trick.' Lord willing, He will now give me the "smooth sailing" of which I wrote earlier. Thanks to those who sought to help.
    www.dayspringopc.org

I'm having the same problem since moving to Windows 7 - only difference is that I use font size 12.

I've tried repairing the program using the installation disc and uninstalling the entire program and deleting the folder left behind in Program Files folder. The method seems to work for a time. I'm currently working with a repaired version and it seems ok. This would be the fifth time I've encountered the problem.

I also went to this thread (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...le+create+font) on one of my attempts to fix it without the installation disc and tried the first two options with no success. The third option recommends reinstalling the fonts themselves. I went to the fonts folder in control panel and there was no bwgrkl font, only other versions of bwgrk! So maybe it is being deleted somehow?

Once I repaired it using the installation disc, the bwgrkl font is back so I'm going ok for now. I'll keep an eye on what I'm doing and so if it happens again I might have more of an idea of what is triggering it.

Default Windows7 and BW8 Font Issue

I am using the Windows 7 64-bit version and BW8 and I still have the font problem. I've tried various compatibility forms and no luck.

Brooks Van Horn
    Last edited by rbvanhorn2; 11-16-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: trailer

Quote Originally Posted by rbvanhorn2 View Post
    I am using the Windows 7 64-bit version and BW8 and I still have the font problem. I've tried various compatibility forms and no luck.

Brooks Van Horn
    If you haven't contacted the tech support by now, that'd be your best bet. I don't know exactly how many other users are currently using Windows 7, so it's a bit harder to troubleshoot.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!